Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utah going after the Winter Olympics once again......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Tiny? About the same metro population as Nagano and Sochi...

Before Nagano, Olympic host cities were REALLY tiny. Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, St. Moritz......
    Yeah, but like you said, things are different now.

I just remember the first time I flew into Reno. I thought Reno was a small suburb of Reno. Turns out, that was just Reno.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

I just remember the first time I flew into Reno. I thought Reno was a small suburb of Reno. Turns out, that was just Reno.
      Psst... the next winter games are in Sochi.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
        Maybe I can get on one of the many infrastructure jobs that are sure to come!
        Forget that - what is the least amount of volunteering I have to do to get one of those cool powder blue coats with the Olympic insignia?

Comment

Tiny? About the same metro population as Nagano and Sochi...

Before Nagano, Olympic host cities were REALLY tiny. Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, St. Moritz......
          On this note I'd like to put forward my hometown of Auburn, CA as a candidate. We're about as close to the resorts as Reno, w/ the advantage of not being the suckiest little city on earth. The local Mo's wld totally step up to provide accommodations for athletes.

Also, my parents neighbors have a sweet two level jacuzzi that seats like 12 people. Yeah we think it's weird too.
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Yeah but it is "The Biggest Little City in the World"!
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
              I gather there is also some concern with Sochi regarding civil unrest and/or terrorism?

It's a terrible choice. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? If you have palm trees, you should not be eligible. Period.
              apparently the prostitutes were able to keep their mouths shut (afterwards, obviously)
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Salt Lake is US pick to try for 2030 Olympics

Another Olympics could be coming to Utah now that the U.S. Olympic Committee has selected the city to bid on behalf of the United States for a future Winter Games.

Salt Lake City, the host of the 2002 Winter Games, beat out Denver. Reno-Tahoe dropped out of the running recently in the competition to be chosen to bid for what is expected to be the 2030 Winter Games.

The decision was made by the USOC at a closed-door meeting in San Francisco.

It will be up to the International Olympic Committee to choose the host city.

The price tag for another Winter Games in Utah is now at $1.4 billion, money that would come from selling sponsorships, tickets and broadcast rights rather than state or local taxpayers, backers say.
                [...]
                https://www.ksl.com/article/46448463...inter-olympics

Will the I-15 construction even be done by 2030?

Denver's bid included the option of using competition facilities outside of Colorado as a cost-saving measure, such as the bobsled, luge and skeleton track near Park City and the speedskating oval in Kearns.
                LOL@Denver.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

SLC was announced today as the official selection for the USOC bid for the 2030 olympics.

I think they have a pretty good shot

Comment

SLC was announced today as the official selection for the USOC bid for the 2030 olympics.

I think they have a pretty good shot
                    Yeah, we know.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      Yeah, we know.
                      One freaking minute. ONE!

Comment

I'm hoping we get them. It was great the last time around, but I was poor enough that I only went to one event. It was a classification women's hockey game between Russia and Germany.

I was going to work security with the National Guard, but was told late that the Governor exempted all law enforcement officers from the call-up. So at the last minute, I volunteered at work to go on a law enforcement security detail. I was supposed to be the first alternate if someone couldn't go, but some Lieutenant at work was given the slot instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          I'm hoping we get them. It was great the last time around, but I was poor enough that I only went to one event. It was a classification women's hockey game between Russia and Germany.

I was going to work security with the National Guard, but was told late that the Governor exempted all law enforcement officers from the call-up. So at the last minute, I volunteered at work to go on a law enforcement security detail. I was supposed to be the first alternate if someone couldn't go, but some Lieutenant at work was given the slot instead.
                          I didn’t know you are/were a copper. I thought you are a career military person.

Comment

If the choir has a part, I will still be in it if I am in Utah still. I'll be a couple years shy of aging out.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              I didn’t know you are/were a copper. I thought you are a career military person.
                              I was a part-time military guy before the war, and made the jump to full-time shortly after I deployed, so I'm a career military guy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I was a student at BYU when the Olympics came to town. They gave us like 3 days off to "go volunteer" with the Olympics, including Valentine's Day. lol. I went home and proposed to my now-wife instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X