First Bike Post Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Bike Post Ever

I had a nasty spill on my way to school this morning. The temperature is in the mid-30s, but there was a big patch of black ice in the intersection near my house (four-way stop; not busy). I thought the ground was just wet - it's been raining here for several hours - but it was ice. As I started to turn left, I laid the bike down and slid about 25 feet. The ice was so smooth that I didn't even tear my pants. Luckily, there were no cars around because I ended up on the far side of the intersection. so I picked up my bike, gingerly walked to the edge of the ice, and finished my commute.

I'm going to have a hell of a bruise, though, on my fleshy left cheek.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Originally posted by Solon View Post
    I had a nasty spill on my way to school this morning. The temperature is in the mid-30s, but there was a big patch of black ice in the intersection near my house (four-way stop; not busy). I thought the ground was just wet - it's been raining here for several hours - but it was ice. As I started to turn left, I laid the bike down and slid about 25 feet. The ice was so smooth that I didn't even tear my pants. Luckily, there were no cars around because I ended up on the far side of the intersection. so I picked up my bike, gingerly walked to the edge of the ice, and finished my commute.

I'm going to have a hell of a bruise, though, on my fleshy left cheek.
    This is one of the drawbacks to bike communting where it gets cold. Not too much you can do to avoid it. turning on ice usually puts you down. Even excellent bike handlers have this problem. Hope your cheek is alright.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
    X