The official ABT thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    Great job JL! Althoug, i think i could have pounded that many by myslelf!

I made about 35. Tasty as always. And all gone. I used some sweet apple BBQ sauce and it was pretty good. We also dipped into the blueberry chipotle you gave me that was really good. I'm so stuffed right now.
    Thanks. I need to try some blueberry next time. That sounds great.

I didn't want to do too many because I didn't want everyone stuffed before the main event (ribs - they were fantastic).
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I think I will try these sometime soon.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Did some for Phat today so he could try them:

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post

Comment

I made ABTs yesterday as well. Much thanks to DDD for the recipe and imparting his know how. They were a huge success!

I actually did them in the oven at 250 for the first 45 minutes due to some logistical difficulties. I then transferred them to my grill for the last 30 minutes. My grill was about 325-350 and I put them on the heating rack (not directly on the grill), which was great because the higher heat helped the bacon firm up a bit and they got a smokey flavor as well as I was using smoking chips.

I also bought raspberry chipotle, however in my excitement I forgot about it and it's still sitting in the fridge which means I'll have to make them again sometime soon

The whole family was skeptical when I brought home the jalapenos, but after trying one ABT they were hooked.

Last edited by Moliere; 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I just saw this; is that an Akorn? Did you take the plunge?
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                I just saw this; is that an Akorn? Did you take the plunge?
                It is an Akorn. It was on clearance for $250 at Lowes here so my dad picked one up. He's been wanting an egg forever but could never pull the trigger (he has an electric smoker and an offset smoker already). This was an opportunity to get into the kamado style cooker without spending an arm and a leg. I actually like it a lot and wish I had picked one up for myself now. There's a learning curve, but once you get the vents dialed in it maintains temps really well. I especially like the ability to grill and the super high temps. I cooked 14 pizzas on it for my family the other week. At almost 800° they took about 2 minutes to cook. Steaks on it taste ridiculous. Same with burgers.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

It is an Akorn. It was on clearance for $250 at Lowes here so my dad picked one up. He's been wanting an egg forever but could never pull the trigger (he has an electric smoker and an offset smoker already). This was an opportunity to get into the kamado style cooker without spending an arm and a leg. I actually like it a lot and wish I had picked one up for myself now. There's a learning curve, but once you get the vents dialed in it maintains temps really well. I especially like the ability to grill and the super high temps. I cooked 14 pizzas on it for my family the other week. At almost 800° they took about 2 minutes to cook. Steaks on it taste ridiculous. Same with burgers.
                  Welcome to the world of kamado! I'd enjoy hearing more about the pizza sometime; I'm hoping to try that soon.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

$250? Hmm... That is tempting.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      Welcome to the world of kamado! I'd enjoy hearing more about the pizza sometime; I'm hoping to try that soon.
                      I'll have to get some pics next time I do the pizzas on the Akorn. I have done it twice now. Previously I have only done them in my oven. Though they came out great, the Akorn is so much better. Check out this thread for the recipe:

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=26965

You need a good thick pizza stone. I have had two crack on me. Just bought a Big Green Egg stone though. It's twice as thick as my other stones. Still needs some seasoning, but so far it seems to do well.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        $250? Hmm... That is tempting.
                        Very. I haven't seen then cheaper than $300 since though. Well worth it, even if it is just used for grilling. One thing I like about it it's that it is very light because it is not ceramic.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Surfah's pizzas were amazing on the Akorn! The thing is probably the best dollar for dollar option right now, IMO. My FIL was able to do 5 racks of ribs at once. Plenty of room. I will be interested in seeing how well it holds up.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

i think it would be fun to add an Egg-style smoker to the rep, but I have serious heartburn over anything that isn't set it and forget it. I am not sure I want to bother with vents and the like. How much work is it in actuality? Would be nice to fire up an Egg to blaze pizzas or a nice steak.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              i think it would be fun to add an Egg-style smoker to the rep, but I have serious heartburn over anything that isn't set it and forget it. I am not sure I want to bother with vents and the like. How much work is it in actuality? Would be nice to fire up an Egg to blaze pizzas or a nice steak.
                              Once you get the hang of the vents, it is easy-peazy. Every time that my FIL or surfah went out to check what was cooking, they would check the temp (the same as I do on the traeger). If any adjustment needed, do at that time with the vents.
                              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                Agreed. If I bought one it would be for pizza, steaks, veggies, kabobs, chicken, etc., but I would continue to use my Traeger for the low and slow cooking. Tough to pull the trigger on a BGE for just that, but this price is low enough that I could maybe justify it.

Comment

Working...
                                X