Ender's Game movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
    I don't know what people are expecting. It's not like the book is so awesome. I view it much in the same way I do Harry Potter; a compelling story with mediocre to adequate writing. It's a genre that can be difficult to adapt to the screen and it's not like Card gave them a whole lot to work with in the way of exciting dialogue. That it's not coming out this summer is telling enough. I think it will be about the same as the book, a solid B/B+.
    I can't disagree with you more. Ender's Game is considered one of the great science fiction novels, particularly of the last 50 years. Harry Potter is not generally found in the discussion of the great fantasy novels/series, except as a preeminent young adult series. And it is lauded more for how it's introduced millions of young people to the fantasy genre, than it is for its quality. There really is no comparing Ender's Game to Harry Potter.

Orson Scott Card is considered one of the best science fiction authors of his generation; J.K. Rowling told an enjoyable story. Not to disrespect her, because Harry Potter is definitely a standard in fantasy, but she's no George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan, or even Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by Rickomatic View Post
      I fear this will be just another Hollywood attempt to 'help save the world' instead of entertaining us.
      You realize this is directly from the book, right? That's what is so special about Ender; he's a third child. For his Mormon/Catholic parents to get permission to have a third child was indicative of how special the first two were.

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      it's not like Card gave them a whole lot to work with in the way of exciting dialogue.
      You are stabbing me in the heart Pelle. You realize that Card is known for his dialogue, right? Especially family and kid dialogue? So he's not Henry James, it is still an awesome story.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        You realize this is directly from the book, right? That's what is so special about Ender; he's a third child. For his Mormon/Catholic parents to get permission to have a third child was indicative of how special the first two were.

You are stabbing me in the heart Pelle. You realize that Card is known for his dialogue, right? Especially family and kid dialogue? So he's not Henry James, it is still an awesome story.
        I mean no ill will, KT. It's been a long while. I just don't remember being impressed with the dialogue. I do remember some of Ender's lines to go over like lead balloons. Sorry, maybe I should read it again.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Ok, I guess I should finally read the book now. I bought it at Powell's 2 years ago and haven't touched it.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

I liked the trailer and the book. I will be there with my oldest on opening weekend.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

http://skipendersgame.com/

And OSC responds:

"Ender's Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.
              With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state.
              Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute."
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I'm really looking forward to this movie despite the fact OSC will get money from it.

OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game. I just hope they don't make the rest of the Ender series into movies...
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

They'll make them all in to movies.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view. If the film is to be a mainstream success it has some PR challenges. Apparently Card has renounced his opposition to gay marriage and homophobic hate speech and is urging his enemies to display their "tolerance" by going to the EG film.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...-card-boycott/
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view. If the film is to be a mainstream success it has some PR challenges. Apparently Card has renounced his opposition to gay marriage and homophobic hate speech and is urging his enemies to display their "tolerance" by going to the EG film.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...-card-boycott/
                      Although I don't see where he renounces his stance, if he did it would be just like Obama who renounced his anti-gay stance right before the election.

I think it's a silly boycott but then again, I think most boycotts are silly. It's like all those people that avoid Chick-fil-a because the owner gives money to pro-traidiotnal-family institutions. If we spend our life boycotting things on such silly premises we'll miss out on most of life.

I also wonder why such progressive people as Harrison Ford would participate in such a movie.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                        I'm really looking forward to this movie despite the fact OSC will get money from it.

OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game. I just hope they don't make the rest of the Ender series into movies...
                        How is OSC an ass again?

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view.
                          This statement is either false or vacuous, but perhaps it was cathartic in some way to type that series of words in that particular order. Historically, most readers of OSC, I would wager, haven't given a damn about his 'world view' or even known what it is (of course this doesn't go for his Mormon readers, who, SU would probably be astounded to learn, are not in the majority). And if they have, they have probably dismissed it as irrelevant to his work.

As for the more substantial point about OSC's plea for 'tolerance,' it is kind of pathetic, but not in the way the article suggests. It is pathetic that one should feel an obligation to either toe the line on some given cultural issue or to shut the hell up. And it is more pathetic still to argue that a reader or viewer must scrutinize an author's work beforehand to make sure that they antecedently agree with his or her views on the social issues of the day. Of course this kind of Victorianism has long been an operating premise for most LDS consumers of media. To see it gain a greater foothold in our culture is distressing.
                          Last edited by Harry Tic; 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM.
                          Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                          --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post
                            OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game.
                            Why is he an ass? Because he used to disagree with you over gay rights? Do you hate everyone who disagrees with you?

Why is OSC seen as a hypocrite over gay issues? Does he not have the right to change his mind, like oh, 98% of the american public? Why wouldn't his change of mind be welcomed?

I am also interested to see if the same folks who asked for tolerance for decades will now get out their pitchforks and torches.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              How is OSC an ass again?
                              Because he's not nice and because I have this uncanny knack of putting my foot in my mouth?
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                                This statement is either false or vacuous, but perhaps it was cathartic in some way to type that series of words in that particular order. Historically, most readers of OSC, I would wager, haven't given a damn about his 'world view' or even known what it is (of course this doesn't go for his Mormon readers, who, SU would probably be astounded to learn, are not in the majority). And if they have, they have probably dismissed it as irrelevant to his work.

As for the more substantial point about OSC's plea for 'tolerance,' it is kind of pathetic, but not in the way the article suggests. It is pathetic that one should feel an obligation to either toe the line on some given cultural issue or to shut the hell up. And it is more pathetic still to argue that a reader or viewer must scrutinize an author's work beforehand to make sure that they antecedently agree with his or her views on the social issues of the day. Of course this kind of Victorianism has long been an operating premise for most LDS consumers of media. To see it gain a greater foothold in our culture is distressing.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X