Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ender's Game movie

Default Ender's Game movie

I'm surprised by the cast. I thought it might end up being a B list movie.

I've even heard of many of the kids!

http://www.endersansible.com/p/ender...ovie-cast.html

I will be watching.

Harrison Ford? wow! I can't believe this movie is finally being made. This was supposed to happen literally over 10 years ago. I think the casting looks great even though I have no idea if any of those kids can act.
    www.cufmixtape.com

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Harrison Ford? wow! I can't believe this movie is finally being made. This was supposed to happen literally over 10 years ago. I think the casting looks great even though I have no idea if any of those kids can act.
    Ender is the kid from Hugo (haven't seen it, so I don't know if he was any good). Petra is the girl from True Grit (have seen that and she was great). Amber Breslin is another on that is good (Little Miss Sunshine).

Impressive cast, actually.

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Ender is the kid from Hugo (haven't seen it, so I don't know if he was any good). Petra is the girl from True Grit (have seen that and she was great). Amber Breslin is another on that is good (Little Miss Sunshine).

Impressive cast, actually.
    Very good cast. Embarrassingly enough I know most of those kids. Hooray for 11 year old daughters!
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Release date is set for November 1, 2013. No trailer that I can find yet.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ender...013-30344.html
    "LDS people need to lighten up and not take religion so seriously." --CardiacCoug

"LDS people need to lighten up and not take religion so seriously." --CardiacCoug

Not impressed.
    “A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.” ~ Steve Prefontaine

I have to agree. That trailer is not going to do the movie any favors...

From the website http://www.if-sentinel.com
    On the 'Thirds' page
    Fifteen years have passed since the landmark decision by former Hegemon James van Laake to strengthen family units through a prescription on the maximum number of children per household. His famed “replacement, not multiplication” speech paved the way for worldwide ban on having three children.

How quickly we forget. Just a generation ago, nearly every major city was dealing with extreme overcrowding and resources allocation had become impossible. Stopping the population growth immediately helped secure precious resources for the war effort. “Times are still difficult, but we endure,” added I.F. Rationing Spokesman Reed Unger, “we know that we have made great progress and will never stop rising as a united people.”
    I fear this will be just another Hollywood attempt to 'help save the world' instead of entertaining us.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post

Not impressed.
    Man you guys are tough critics.

I liked the preview. Nothing too amazing, but it's hard to watch a preview of a movie made from a book when one has created their own idea of what a movie should look like.

I look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I have to agree. That trailer is not going to do the movie any favors...
    I don't know what people are expecting. It's not like the book is so awesome. I view it much in the same way I do Harry Potter; a compelling story with mediocre to adequate writing. It's a genre that can be difficult to adapt to the screen and it's not like Card gave them a whole lot to work with in the way of exciting dialogue. That it's not coming out this summer is telling enough. I think it will be about the same as the book, a solid B/B+.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Quote Originally Posted by pellegrino View Post
    I don't know what people are expecting. It's not like the book is so awesome. I view it much in the same way I do Harry Potter; a compelling story with mediocre to adequate writing. It's a genre that can be difficult to adapt to the screen and it's not like Card gave them a whole lot to work with in the way of exciting dialogue. That it's not coming out this summer is telling enough. I think it will be about the same as the book, a solid B/B+.
    Really? I thought the book was worlds better than Harry Potter. The cool part of the book for me was the battle room w the freeze ray and Ender's innovativeness under pressure, thinking outside the box, and strategic genius. Hopefully that translates to screen.
    www.cufmixtape.com

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Really? I thought the book was worlds better than Harry Potter. The cool part of the book for me was the battle room w the freeze ray and Ender's innovativeness under pressure, thinking outside the box, and strategic genius. Hopefully that translates to screen.
    it's the genre, that's all.
    Alessandro Manzoni

As for the preview, it looks like they shoehorned all the action takes they could into a 30 second sequence of frantically paced smash cuts. That's just fine for the trailer, because this really isn't a sci-fi action thriller after all. It's a sci fi story/tragedy about military strategy w elements of suspense. This movie will live or die by the script and the acting/chemistry between the actors. Because they are basing the script on both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, with plenty of material and dialogue to draw from, I am fairly confident that the dialogue will be adequate and that the actors involved will deliver it without pulling any Anakin Skywalker moments. I'm sure we'll see another Ender-centric trailer that is slower and teases the plot a bit as the release gets closer.

The CGI effects look to be industry standard, which is fine-whatever- as long as they aren't so shamefully bad that they distract from the movie. The bugger sequences do look pretty effective from what I can tell. It also looks on first glance like they've based art direction on some of the previously commissioned Ender's Game artwork.
    www.cufmixtape.com

I can't disagree with you more. Ender's Game is considered one of the great science fiction novels, particularly of the last 50 years. Harry Potter is not generally found in the discussion of the great fantasy novels/series, except as a preeminent young adult series. And it is lauded more for how it's introduced millions of young people to the fantasy genre, than it is for its quality. There really is no comparing Ender's Game to Harry Potter.

Orson Scott Card is considered one of the best science fiction authors of his generation; J.K. Rowling told an enjoyable story. Not to disrespect her, because Harry Potter is definitely a standard in fantasy, but she's no George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan, or even Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Quote Originally Posted by Rickomatic View Post
    I fear this will be just another Hollywood attempt to 'help save the world' instead of entertaining us.
    You realize this is directly from the book, right? That's what is so special about Ender; he's a third child. For his Mormon/Catholic parents to get permission to have a third child was indicative of how special the first two were.

it's not like Card gave them a whole lot to work with in the way of exciting dialogue.
    You are stabbing me in the heart Pelle. You realize that Card is known for his dialogue, right? Especially family and kid dialogue? So he's not Henry James, it is still an awesome story.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    You realize this is directly from the book, right? That's what is so special about Ender; he's a third child. For his Mormon/Catholic parents to get permission to have a third child was indicative of how special the first two were.

You are stabbing me in the heart Pelle. You realize that Card is known for his dialogue, right? Especially family and kid dialogue? So he's not Henry James, it is still an awesome story.
    I mean no ill will, KT. It's been a long while. I just don't remember being impressed with the dialogue. I do remember some of Ender's lines to go over like lead balloons. Sorry, maybe I should read it again.
    Alessandro Manzoni

Ok, I guess I should finally read the book now. I bought it at Powell's 2 years ago and haven't touched it.

I liked the trailer and the book. I will be there with my oldest on opening weekend.

http://skipendersgame.com/

And OSC responds:

"Ender's Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.
    With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state.
    Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute."
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this movie despite the fact OSC will get money from it.

OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game. I just hope they don't make the rest of the Ender series into movies...
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    - Andrew Tanenbaum

https://github.com/brailsmt

They'll make them all in to movies.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view. If the film is to be a mainstream success it has some PR challenges. Apparently Card has renounced his opposition to gay marriage and homophobic hate speech and is urging his enemies to display their "tolerance" by going to the EG film.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...-card-boycott/
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view. If the film is to be a mainstream success it has some PR challenges. Apparently Card has renounced his opposition to gay marriage and homophobic hate speech and is urging his enemies to display their "tolerance" by going to the EG film.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...-card-boycott/
    Although I don't see where he renounces his stance, if he did it would be just like Obama who renounced his anti-gay stance right before the election.

I think it's a silly boycott but then again, I think most boycotts are silly. It's like all those people that avoid Chick-fil-a because the owner gives money to pro-traidiotnal-family institutions. If we spend our life boycotting things on such silly premises we'll miss out on most of life.

I also wonder why such progressive people as Harrison Ford would participate in such a movie.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this movie despite the fact OSC will get money from it.

OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game. I just hope they don't make the rest of the Ender series into movies...
    How is OSC an ass again?

I've Made a Huge Mistake. Harry Tic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The book has been a cult classic whose reading audience is primarily adolescents and others who share Card's world view.
    This statement is either false or vacuous, but perhaps it was cathartic in some way to type that series of words in that particular order. Historically, most readers of OSC, I would wager, haven't given a damn about his 'world view' or even known what it is (of course this doesn't go for his Mormon readers, who, SU would probably be astounded to learn, are not in the majority). And if they have, they have probably dismissed it as irrelevant to his work.

As for the more substantial point about OSC's plea for 'tolerance,' it is kind of pathetic, but not in the way the article suggests. It is pathetic that one should feel an obligation to either toe the line on some given cultural issue or to shut the hell up. And it is more pathetic still to argue that a reader or viewer must scrutinize an author's work beforehand to make sure that they antecedently agree with his or her views on the social issues of the day. Of course this kind of Victorianism has long been an operating premise for most LDS consumers of media. To see it gain a greater foothold in our culture is distressing.
    Last edited by Harry Tic; 07-10-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    OSC is Class A-1 ass. I hate that that asshat wrote such a good story as Ender's Game.
    Why is he an ass? Because he used to disagree with you over gay rights? Do you hate everyone who disagrees with you?

Why is OSC seen as a hypocrite over gay issues? Does he not have the right to change his mind, like oh, 98% of the american public? Why wouldn't his change of mind be welcomed?

I am also interested to see if the same folks who asked for tolerance for decades will now get out their pitchforks and torches.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    How is OSC an ass again?
    Because he's not nice and because I have this uncanny knack of putting my foot in my mouth?
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    - Andrew Tanenbaum

https://github.com/brailsmt

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tic View Post
    This statement is either false or vacuous, but perhaps it was cathartic in some way to type that series of words in that particular order. Historically, most readers of OSC, I would wager, haven't given a damn about his 'world view' or even known what it is (of course this doesn't go for his Mormon readers, who, SU would probably be astounded to learn, are not in the majority). And if they have, they have probably dismissed it as irrelevant to his work.

As for the more substantial point about OSC's plea for 'tolerance,' it is kind of pathetic, but not in the way the article suggests. It is pathetic that one should feel an obligation to either toe the line on some given cultural issue or to shut the hell up. And it is more pathetic still to argue that a reader or viewer must scrutinize an author's work beforehand to make sure that they antecedently agree with his or her views on the social issues of the day. Of course this kind of Victorianism has long been an operating premise for most LDS consumers of media. To see it gain a greater foothold in our culture is distressing.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.