A new Word of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    The hope is that rather than relying on the ...law...that he will instead study the effects of something and whether or not that is something he wants to experience.
    Corner Cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      "I'm an idiot and have no self-control so I want a bunch of really old men to tell me what I should never sample."--somokeymountain

This has got to be the most uninformed thing I've ever read, even more than when some guy posted he never heard Mormons preach that blacks were fence sitters in the pre-existnce.
      http://www.jointogether.org/news/res...idence-of.html

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstrac...ale_alcoholics

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...stract/20/1/63
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I catch any of my kids smoking reefer I kick their asses.
        This is my point. Non-Seq is making it seem that Mos are uptight about pot (at least that is the read I get...Non Seq, please clarify because I am probably reading you wrong. apologies). Most rational parents, regardless of religious affiliation, do NOT want their kids doing drugs and will preach to them until they go off to college to stay away from it. They do not see it as a harmless diversion. And what robinfinderson is suggesting with his kid is straight out of the Age of Aquarius.

"Hey, my wife and I EXPECT our kids to try all kinds of drugs..." wtf? Rather than sit back and expect that, why not take the time and teach your kids at a young age about the dangers of drugs? It has nothing to do with Mormonism.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          Yeah, good points. The overall health of the world would be better without alcoholic beverages, that's for sure. Alcoholism is a major problem. And if somebody is genetically predisposed to be an alcoholic but never ends up touching the stuff due to religion, then that person is very fortunate.

As far as the Church goes, I like Lebowski's suggestion of returning the WoW to its original intent of "good advice" rather than having it be a basic worthiness standard.
          I am aghast at the junk food I see people eating and buying far more often than I am aghast at seeing excessive intake of alcoholic beverages. I constantly see self-destructive eating behavior that is shocking. I'll see an overweight kid eating a pastry or chips and washing it down with a colored drink. His tragectory is a loveless life, and aputation, blindness and early death, and his parents aid and abet it. I go to the ballgame and see people eating fried tortilla chips with that ghastly orange cheese sauce and wash it down with sodas. It goes on and on. Last night at the Mariners game I didn't see anyone drunk. I saw a lot of people who must be diabetics or soon will be.

America is drunk on everything. It's childish to single out alcholol for demonizing.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Come on. In your law firms, how often have they served alcohol at social functions? 100% of the time I venture. I bet 90%+ of your colleagues drink socially. Do your colleagues suffer from rampant alcoholism? Mine don't.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              This is my point. Non-Seq is making it seem that Mos are uptight about pot (at least that is the read I get...Non Seq, please clarify because I am probably reading you wrong. apologies). Most rational parents, regardless of religious affiliation, do NOT want their kids doing drugs and will preach to them until they go off to college to stay away from it.
              My atheist psychiatrist friend, who specializes in addictionology, feels the same way. This is a guy who knows what he is talking about.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I'll see an overweight kid eating a pastry or chips and washing it down with a colored drink.
                There you go again. You have serious issues.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  My atheist psychiatrist friend, who specializes in addictionology, feels the same way. This is a guy who knows what he is talking about.
                  Do you collect friends in every demographic just so you can punk everyone on message boards?

Comment

This is my point. Non-Seq is making it seem that Mos are uptight about pot (at least that is the read I get...Non Seq, please clarify because I am probably reading you wrong. apologies). Most rational parents, regardless of religious affiliation, do NOT want their kids doing drugs and will preach to them until they go off to college to stay away from it. They do not see it as a harmless diversion. And what robinfinderson is suggesting with his kid is straight out of the Age of Aquarius.

"Hey, my wife and I EXPECT our kids to try all kinds of drugs..." wtf? Rather than sit back and expect that, why not take the time and teach your kids at a young age about the dangers of drugs? It has nothing to do with Mormonism.
                    I was channel surfing last night and watched a bit of an episode from the Sopranos. Tony and Meadow are having dinner and Meadow keep pressing him about his mafia job. Tony comes clean about what he really does for a living. Meadow, feeling a spirit of openness and honesty, confesses to doing some speed a month prior with her friends. Tony goes ballistic, gets that evil red face of his, and chews her out royally.

Yes it's fiction, but I couldn't help but think of that as I read this thread.

(what a great series that was)
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

There you go again. You have serious issues.
                      Why you yellow bastard I bet you wouldn't say that to my face! I'll kick your ass I'll kill you!!!!!!

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

America is drunk on everything. It's childish to single out alcholol for demonizing.
                        Hey, I pretty much completely agree with you. I even modified that response because I thought I should add my observation that the vast majority of otherwise upstanding, productive citizens who drink alcohol don't ever even think about drinking excessively.

I would bet that if every single Mormon on this board started drinking wine or beer with dinner tomorrow, not a single one of them would become an alcoholic. SMRs fears of a single drink or two suddenly turning a previously responsible person into a budding alcoholic are unfounded.

But at the same time, drunk driving and alcoholic liver disease are issues -- I think they become problems especially in people who start binge drinking in high school or college, while they are still in formative years and are setting patterns for their adult lives.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          Look, you don't need to go get confirmation from an atheist shrink that recreational drugs are bad. Most people agree they're bad! They're illegal; felonies, misdemeanors are bad (for starters). If you overdo drugs you have to commit more crimes to get more, and you might die in your sleep.

But most people, Chistians and atheists alike, agree a social drink or two is dandy.
                          Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

But most people, Chistians and atheists alike, agree a social drink or two is dandy.
                            Not sure about Einstein, but I know guys like Truman Capote, O. Henry, WC Fields, and Mickey Mantle would certainly agree with you!

sigpic

Comment

It is fine to teach them about the dangers of drugs. We do this with Little Robin. But we also talk about the positive things that go with drugs. The problem with only talking about the dangers, is that if and when the child eventually gives something a try, and only then they see the positive aspects of drugs, it will appear as if the parents had been holding out on important information. This could create distrust and distance.

I doubt that my own desires for my child are really that different than anyone's here. With the exception of a couple of personal favorite substances that I hope to be able to enjoy with my son when he is a young man, my hopes are that the child will avoid addiction and seriously harmful drugs (like inhalants!). If he chooses to use, I hope he practices moderation. Just as important has the choice to partake or not, I hope he makes healthy lifestyle choices.

So our goals are probably very similar. It isn't so much about the goals as it is about the efficacy of the means of achieving those goals. I will grant that my approach isn't very common. But IMO, the common approach isn't very effective.

Comment

His tragectory [sic] is a loveless life
                                Kiss my fat butt, SeattleUte.
                                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Working...
                                X