A new Word of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Is there any truth to something I heard/read once that the alcohol/temple recommend question came about because the then prophet's best friend was killed by a drunk driver?
    Not really, the question was added to the list in 1902, but it was really for abusers, not occasional users. We have Heber J. Grant and the prohibition movement to thank for more widespread compliance. His friend was killed by a drunk driver.

for a decent read, check out this article in Dialogue:

https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-conte..._V14N03_80.pdf
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      Not really, the question was added to the list in 1902, but it was really for abusers, not occasional users. We have Heber J. Grant and the prohibition movement to thank for more widespread compliance. His friend was killed by a drunk driver.

for a decent read, check out this article in Dialogue:

https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-conte..._V14N03_80.pdf
      I liked the concluding paragraphs (footnotes omitted):

An understanding of the way in which the current interpretation of the Word of Wisdom developed is significant because it provides a case study of the usual method of revelation and hence of doctrinal and policy development in the Church. Evidence seems to suggest that change has ordinarily come about through prayerful consideration over time of contemporary problems in the context of tradition (including previous scriptures and statement), immediate conditions (including political, social, and economic problems) and alternative courses of action. Other examples of similar patterns of revelation for which we have good documentation include the decision to locate in Utah, the current Welfare Plan and even the doctrines of God and Man.

Thus, the student of Latter-day Saint doctrinal and policy development will paint a more detailed picture if he conceives his task more broadly than the narrow context of looking only at the scriptures and at public statements of church leaders. If a study of the interpretation of what the Word of Wisdom can tell us anything, it is that such change does not take place in a vacuum.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
        I liked the concluding paragraphs (footnotes omitted):
        I recently recounted the doctrinal history of the WoW to MJ. It started after she had mentioned that Jesus drank "new" wine instead of alcoholic wine. I honestly have no idea what type of wine Jesus drank but that is beside the point.

Anyways, during the conversation I realized just how little we discuss the process of revelation and doctrine. MJ was obviously under the influence that the WoW was revealed to Joseph Smith and since that time (and even before that time all the way back to Christ) it has been strictly followed similar to today. This obviously is a product of correlation especially given the lesson on Daniel that so nicely juxtaposes to the WoW.

It also shows how fluid and changing some of the doctrines have been and how accepting I can be of that principle, yet 5 years ago I would have been the one shocked to find out that wine was used by the first presidency during their temple sacrament service up until 1906.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Another vote for WoW as outlined in D&C.. I'll call it "doctrinal" WoW. Read it, interpret it based on your personal relationship with the Lord, follow it according to your conscious and don't rationalize. What happened to giving the people principles and letting them govern themselves?

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            2. I hope that when Little Robin decides he wants to try something, that he comes to me to talk about it first.

I told my kids that if curiousity got the best of them, I'd do the same for coffee and beer as they're so readily available, although I testified to the fact they both taste like warm crap on a cold bun. Anyway, one of my teenage daughters was curious about coffee, and approached me about tasting it as some of her friends drink it. We went to Starbucks and I ordered a small black coffee. She tasted it, gagged, and almost threw up on the spot. We then talked about how the taste can be masked by cream, milk, sugar etc.... As for beer, I guess Old Milwaukee would do the trick. The other kids haven't shown an interest in them yet.....including the older one.

I'd be extremely concerned about "mind altering drugs" however, and believe it's pure lunacy to introduce them to kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by mUUser View Post
              I told my kids that if curiousity got the best of them, I'd do the same for coffee and beer as they're so readily available, although I testified to the fact they both taste like warm crap on a cold bun. Anyway, one of my teenage daughters was curious about coffee, and approached me about tasting it as some of her friends drink it. We went to Starbucks and I ordered a small black coffee. She tasted it, gagged, and almost threw up on the spot. We then talked about how the taste can be masked by cream, milk, sugar etc.... As for beer, I guess Old Milwaukee would do the trick. The other kids haven't shown an interest in them yet.....including the older one.

I'd be extremely concerned about "mind altering drugs" however, and believe it's pure lunacy to introduce them to kids.
              SU's rant about milk vs. meat seems to apply here. Just because some tastes require some discernment doesn't mean they aren't amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mUUser View Post

You weren't really playing fair with the coffee, since most coffee drinkers don't drink their coffee black, nor do they drink it as strong as it is brewed at Starbucks (known for making a thick swill). You basically rigged the game. While I applaud your willingness to let your daughter experience coffee to become more informed, if she ever decides (or realizes) that you rigged the game, the whole thing might come back to bite you.

As for 'mind altering drugs,' I will personally do all that I can to discourage experimentation with the vast majority of drugs, except for alcohol and marijuana in moderation. Even with those two, I will strongly discourage experimentation until after our son has done 95% of his physical development. I speak to him as an avid gardener, pointing out that even minor changes to a developing plant's environment can result in major changes to its growth and overall health.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
                  SU's rant about milk vs. meat seems to apply here. Just because some tastes require some discernment doesn't mean they aren't amazing.
                  I agree. I know many Mormons that love the smell of coffee and would definitely partake if allowed. I, on the other hand, have always disliked the smell. I realize smell doesn't always equal taste, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like the taste.

I have also witnessed the incessant need for people to have their coffee early in the morning. Many people in my office barely function without it. There is one guy that carries around a cup of coffee everywhere allday. Seriously, I've never seen him without a cup of coffee.

It seems that the first couple days someone is drinking coffee it does give them a boost. However, that fades quickly and pretty soon the person has to have coffee to get them to the same place they were before they ever had coffee. In my last job caffeine and especially coffee were staples during busy season. I never partook and for some reason I was fine getting through the 3pm slump and the 7pm slump in just as good if not better fashion than the coffee drinkers.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    You weren't really playing fair with the coffee, since most coffee drinkers don't drink their coffee black, nor do they drink it as strong as it is brewed at Starbucks (known for making a thick swill). You basically rigged the game. While I applaud your willingness to let your daughter experience coffee to become more informed, if she ever decides (or realizes) that you rigged the game, the whole thing might come back to bite you.

As for 'mind altering drugs,' I will personally do all that I can to discourage experimentation with the vast majority of drugs, except for alcohol and marijuana in moderation. Even with those two, I will strongly discourage experimentation until after our son has done 95% of his physical development. I speak to him as an avid gardener, pointing out that even minor changes to a developing plant's environment can result in major changes to its growth and overall health.
                    The funny part is that the game doesn't need to be rigged. Coffee is an acquired taste. If the taster is not already disposed to like it and willing to push through the bitterness etc., they generally won't like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                      I agree. I know many Mormons that love the smell of coffee and would definitely partake if allowed. I, on the other hand, have always disliked the smell. I realize smell doesn't always equal taste, but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like the taste.

I have also witnessed the incessant need for people to have their coffee early in the morning. Many people in my office barely function without it. There is one guy that carries around a cup of coffee everywhere allday. Seriously, I've never seen him without a cup of coffee.

It seems that the first couple days someone is drinking coffee it does give them a boost. However, that fades quickly and pretty soon the person has to have coffee to get them to the same place they were before they ever had coffee. In my last job caffeine and especially coffee were staples during busy season. I never partook and for some reason I was fine getting through the 3pm slump and the 7pm slump in just as good if not better fashion than the coffee drinkers.
                      This is true, and many folks would do well to cut down significantly. I drink it only because I find it to be among the best tastes I've experienced. Then again, I buy the good stuff, brew it carefully, and drink it black. Which is not to say I don't love diner coffee as well.

Beer is similar. A can of PBR is ok on occasion, but the sky is the limit when it comes to the character and flavor of a truly fine beer. Similar to wine that way, although I found wine to be much more of an acquired taste, and the best wines are far more expensive relative to only good ones compared to coffee or beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                        caffeine is small potatoes on college campus. I'd guess 50%+ of my students abuse adderral to cram for exams.
                        I can't tell you how many times in the last few years I've wished for an adderral script.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slim View Post
                          I can't tell you how many times in the last few years I've wished for an adderral script.
                          Maybe you should ask people to help you pray for it
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• I forgot about this thread and that it contained one of robinfinderson's classic quotes.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              I'm one of the former. I hear the coffee grinder churning in the grocery store aisle and I'm there just to take in the coffee fumes. Love Starbucks coffee ice creams but limit my intake because of calories not that it's coffee flavored. Have not partaken of coffee but feel that it (along with wine at nice meals) is one of the true pleasures of life that I'm forsaking by observing the WofW. I've been fortunate with good health so I figure that must offset the forgone joys of coffee and wine.

But beer is something else and has to be an acquired taste; one that I'm probably not cut out for. During my college years I had a similar experience to mUUser. Some softball teammates (none were LDS) decided to conduct an experiment and replaced the soda I was drinking out of a can with beer while I was in the Mens room. One swig and I almost choked - it was not pretty. I couldn't understand how they could drink that stuff. At the time, a high-school friend did win $20 on a bet with another teammate who didn't know me as well. Guy didn't believe it possible that a 22-year old from the midwest had never tasted beer. Based on my reaction, and all the associated laughs, he paid up. And the winnings were used to.... purchase more beer.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                I forgot about this thread and that it contained one of robinfinderson's classic quotes.
                                Well thanks, man. The Finderson abides.

Comment

Working...
                                X