No announcement yet.

A new Word of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im starting to blame the docs for the opioid epidemic, which is turning into the heroin epidemic. Am I wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      A couple years ago my wife was visiting home in Oregon with the kids during the summer. One of their family friends invited her and the kids over to swim in their pool. My wife accepted the invitation. Afterward, the friend said that because of her husband's medical condition her husband had some marijuana plants and hoped that my wife and kids wouldn't be offended. My wife said NBD, I'm sure the kids won't even notice. My wife thought that they might have a couple plants, big whoop. She gets to the house for the swim party and sent me a picture. The entire backyard was a farm. Lol. I wish I still had the picture. It made me curious what the husband's medical condition was.
      My son's friend's family owns a ranch. Last year they planted 30 acres of hemp. I've also seen a couple of small crops around here.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        A couple years ago my wife was visiting home in Oregon with the kids during the summer. One of their family friends invited her and the kids over to swim in their pool. My wife accepted the invitation. Afterward, the friend said that because of her husband's medical condition her husband had some marijuana plants and hoped that my wife and kids wouldn't be offended. My wife said NBD, I'm sure the kids won't even notice. My wife thought that they might have a couple plants, big whoop. She gets to the house for the swim party and sent me a picture. The entire backyard was a farm. Lol. I wish I still had the picture. It made me curious what the husband's medical condition was.
        I believe that you aren't legally allowed to grow that much for personal use in Oregon.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          Im starting to blame the docs for the opioid epidemic, which is turning into the heroin epidemic. Am I wrong?
          Reminds me of Annie Hall... always nice to trot this one out.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Im starting to blame the docs for the opioid epidemic, which is turning into the heroin epidemic. Am I wrong?
            You are not wrong. But you also need to blame Purdue (the drug company). If you haven't already, you should either read Dopesick or Dreamland, or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              You are not wrong. But you also need to blame Purdue (the drug company). If you haven't already, you should either read Dopesick or Dreamland, or both.
              There are a couple of good PBS specials from the last year or two as well. One was a Frontline episode, I think.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                There are a couple of good PBS specials from the last year or two as well. One was a Frontline episode, I think.
                A tangent, but applicable to this board.

The most recent Frontline is about Dayton, OH and mentions the opioid epidemic.

https://www.pbs.org/video/left-behind-america-tkmile/

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  A tangent, but applicable to this board.

The most recent Frontline is about Dayton, OH and mentions the opioid epidemic.

https://www.pbs.org/video/left-behind-america-tkmile/
                  NOBODY WATCH THIS IT’S ANTI-DAYTON LIBERAL PROPAGANDA TRASH!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    I've got two sons. I love them both almost the same. One is a normal church going kid in his second year at JRCLS, married with a baby. The other is a dope feign and lives in my "basement." MJ has pretty much stolen my younger sons life from him. He's got one of the most brilliant minds I've ever known, and he's an idiot at the same time. He's 6'5" and 300 pounds of unbelievable strength, and is a dunking basketball player. He had BYU/OregonState/Oregon wanting his services for football. He was a legit pro prospect, and the voodoo weed stole his life from him. He claims he needs the weed to make his mind right, but it's evident to me that over the years weed has made his mind wrong. At 27, he's now 13 years into his addiction (he's tried but can't stop) and he's a barely functional human being. His goal is to become a professional gambler with a focus on the NBA. Is THC helping him with his bi-polar issues, or did THC cause his bi-polar issues? I think it exacerbated his problem to exponential proportions.

I'm sure like with most things MJ has a place somewhere in the world, but I sure as hell know it doesn't belong in our kids lives. It sucks the living out of them.

Just a personal everyday observation and opinion.
                    That's very close to my second daughter's story. However she won't live with me as long as she refuses to take ownership for her decisions. Had to lock up the car keys and everything valuable in a safe, put locks on the doors of the other kids' bedrooms and remind them to constantly put away anything valuable in their rooms. She is very bright, but the MJ lets her tolerate her current living conditions.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                      That's very close to my second daughter's story. However she won't live with me as long as she refuses to take ownership for her decisions. Had to lock up the car keys and everything valuable in a safe, put locks on the doors of the other kids' bedrooms and remind them to constantly put away anything valuable in their rooms. She is very bright, but the MJ lets her tolerate her current living conditions.

Sounds like my sister. Luckily she eventually grew up and is an upstanding adult now.

Comment

• yikes. clack and sf, that is very sad. so sorry to hear those stories. and i thought my word of wisdom obeying (i think? hope?) teen daughter gave (and on a lesser scale still gives) me problems.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Drugs are horrible.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            In Oregon you'll be driving down a country road and all of a sudden you can smell pot.. you look over and you'll see a whole pot farm. 20 acres of pot plants. There's enough pot being grown in Oregon that they could provide for the whole country. Pot prices are down 80% off two years ago.
                            One of my favorite kids from a ward I served in in Portland friended me on facebook. I was happy to hear from him, and clicked on the "About" link to see what he's been up to. He's in the seasonal cannabis farmworker business. An honest living, but I couldn't help but feel a little bad for his parents.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I really have no opinion on Utah's new law. I don't know much about it. But I do worry about the legalization of MJ and the impact it would have on kids. I know alcohol is a legal drug and is regulated, but there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that MJ can have some serious mental impacts when used on young, developing minds. I know a reasonable approach is to make it legal and regulate it like liquor, but it seems to be different both in its impact on the brain and on how easy it is to carry it around.

I'd prefer that the penalty for having/using MJ be reduced and almost eliminated and think it would be good to allow for it to be put through testing to see if it does have any impact on certain medical issues. But I can admit that I"d have a hard time voting for legalizing it from a recreational standpoitn and would second guess voting for a medicinal MJ bill that allows children or teenagers to use it.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• WHO finds that 1 in 20 death worldwide is caused by alcohol.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alcohol-r...130154640.html

Comment

Working...
                                X