Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: A new Word of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Hey it happens and if this is the worst thing that you deal with today then count your blessings.
    Dogonit, you are right!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

mbn that's staley got cut. Someone posted it in another thread. I can't find it now but I know I saw it.
    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1365940

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The documentary Becoming Warren Buffett starts with him teaching a class in Omaha and his presentation begins like an excellent lesson on the Word of Wisdom. I intend to use his approach in a class someday.

I'll only paraphrase it here:

Imagine that at the end this of class I were to present you with the car of your choice. You can pick whatever you want, the make, model, color, options, etc.; it's all yours. But of course, there's a catch, it will be the only car you'll ever own for the rest of your life. What will you do with it? I imagine you'll take very, very good care of it. Not only do you want it to last a very long time, you want it to be a point of pride, something others will admire.

It's the same way with your brain and your body. You only get one of them, and they will necessarily have to last your entire lifetime. Will you take care of them as you would your only car? Aren't they considerably more important than that car? etc.

Funny thing, though, after that class presentation the film shows Buffett pulling up to a McDonald's for his usual breakfast. He gets one of three things (one's an Egg McMuffin, the others I don't recall), ranging in price from around $2.67 to around $3.15; he jokes that what he chooses is a function of how the market's doing, and he washes it down with a Coke. So much for taking care of his body; I'll leave that part out of the lesson.

Ahhh. During the Superbowl (and subsequently), 23 And Me has been running a commercial with this quote in the background. So now I know it is from Buffett. The commercial ties the quote in with, "So wouldn't you want to know everything you could about your genetic makeup?"

mbn that's staley got cut. Someone posted it in another thread. I can't find it now but I know I saw it.
    Lebowski put it in Funk's beer thread. Great place for it - but it belongs here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Lebowski put it in Funk's beer thread. Great place for it - but it belongs here too.
    Let's just put it everywhere!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

No matter how many times you post this you will never convince me to give up beer and you will never convince me that the WoW works as a "health code." SJBH
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    No matter how many times you post this you will never convince me to give up beer and you will never convince me that the WoW works as a "health code." SJBH
    Reminds me of something...

yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Funk, my concern about your drinking is motivated entirely out of love.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Funk, my concern about your drinking is motivated entirely out of love.
    If I stop drinking, I'll have to take up being in love with Mary Jane, don't you play no games.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

I don't look at the Word of Wisdom as a 'health code' either, despite requiring abstention from multiple known carcinogens. I mean, your health will be better for sure, but being a 'health code' is not its purpose, of course.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I don't look at the Word of Wisdom as a 'health code' either, despite requiring abstention from multiple known carcinogens. I mean, your health will be better for sure, but being a 'health code' is not its purpose, of course.
    I agree. I don't know why funk pinned that on me.

A huge clinical trial collapses, and research on alcohol remains befuddling

Given the known dangers and catastrophic consequences of binge drinking, the questions surrounding moderate drinking are arguably esoteric, or at least not an urgent public health issue. Nelson, the Minnesota researcher, said he doesn’t think the drink-a-day riddle is “a worthwhile scientific question to pursue.”

The endpoint of such research might show a benefit, he said, but society doesn’t have a compelling need to get people who don’t drink to start drinking. It’s more important, he said, to persuade heavy drinkers to moderate.

“People like to drink, like to get buzzed, and people like to get drunk, too. But there are major risks associated with heavy drinking,” he said. His informed message to the public, delivered without any hint of moralizing, is a simple one: “Drinking is not good for you.”
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

This is good stuff regarding the Word of Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post

Thanks, clack. Ties in pretty well with JL's summary of The Obesity Code in the book thread.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Thanks, clack. Ties in pretty well with JL's summary of The Obesity Code in the book thread.
    Yes! Exactly the same message. It’s all about the insulin.

Thanks Clack. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about this talk, so I wanted to listen to it. Great stuff.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I listened to it during my morning mosey and thought it was very good and highly motivating. Once I get rid of my current trove of chocolate chip cookies and B&J's New York Super Fudge Chunk, I'm going to try going off of sugar and refined carbs. So if I seem crankier than usual, you'll know why.

I listened to it during my morning mosey and thought it was very good and highly motivating. Once I get rid of my current trove of chocolate chip cookies and B&J's New York Super Fudge Chunk, I'm going to try going off of sugar and refined carbs. So if I seem crankier than usual, you'll know why.
    Doesn't sound worth it to me.

I made a banana cream pie yesterday for my daughters birthday, which was IMO the best pie I have ever had. Not sure I could give that stuff up.

My strategy is lazy keto diet (generally try to eat more fats and very few carbs but I'm not exact about my macro ratios) combined with intermittent fasting to keep insulin low. I still indulge in carbs/sweets on special occasions. This past week was a family reunion in Gatlinburg TN. I indulged as much as I wanted at 2 meals during the week but keep up my one big meal a day routine. I came back about 4-5 lbs lighter. If I want to maintain instead of lose I switch to a 16/8 fasting regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

I made a banana cream pie yesterday for my daughters birthday, which was IMO the best pie I have ever had. Not sure I could give that stuff up.
    I'm not sure it is either, but I'm willing to give it a shot (says the guy who is going to eat a lot of CC cookies and ice cream before taking said shot). BTW, I've gained a greater appreciation for Sen. Cory Booker who also loves having a menage a trois with Ben & Jerry, whom he rebukes for putting their stuff in such handy single-serving containers.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

His first minute also reminded me of The Emporor of All Maladies, where the author explains that cancer has moved up the leading-cause-of-death scale because the average age of mortality is much higher, since so many diseases that used to kill millions have been minimized or eradicated. Most of the maladies he listed in his chart are diseases of most prevalent in advanced age.

I’m not saying the insulin issue is not important for having healthier and longer lives. I want to listen to the rest of his talk later when I have time.

Not only am I a believer, but I'm a success story as well... I did this back in 2013 and lost 65 pounds in 10 months. After the first three weeks (when you form new habits) it was easy. It was easy because the results were so tangible. Being smaller and having more energy was wonderful. I got to wear suits that had been in the closet for years, and I looked like a million bucks. Could cross my legs... what a nice feeling. That lasted about three years and I slowly gained back 30 pounds. Now I'm back down 20, and am feeling good again. It really works. I've decided that I'm want to go crazy low and get down the my 1978 BYU freshman weight of 180. I won't have the BB hops that I had then, but even touching the net now would be a victory.

It was funny when he said that we pray over Brownies and Ice Cream asking God to nourish and strengthen our bodies.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-06-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Not only am I a believer, but I'm a success story as well... I did this back in 2013 and lost 65 pounds in 10 months. After the first three weeks (when you form new habits) it was easy. It was easy because the results were so tangible. Being smaller and having more energy was wonderful. I got to wear suits that had been in the closet for years, and I looked like a million bucks. Could cross my legs... what a nice feeling. That lasted about three years and I slowly gained back 30 pounds. Now I'm back down 20, and am feeling good again. It really works. I've decided that I'm want to go crazy low and get down the my 1978 BYU freshman weight of 180. I won't have the BB hops that I had then, but even touching the net now would be a victory.

It was funny when he said that we pray over Brownies and Ice Cream asking God to nourish and strengthen our bodies.
    Dang it, that's my joke.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

I'm not sure it is either, but I'm willing to give it a shot (says the guy who is going to eat a lot of CC cookies and ice cream before taking said shot). BTW, I've gained a greater appreciation for Sen. Cory Booker who also loves having a menage a trois with Ben & Jerry, whom he rebukes for putting their stuff in such handy single-serving containers.
    One thing Fung constantly stresses in his book is we shouldn't feel any guilt about pigging out on special occasions. Food is part of celebrating life. And it is not the occasional feast that kills us, it is our day-to-day habits.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    His first minute also reminded me of The Emporor of All Maladies, where the author explains that cancer has moved up the leading-cause-of-death scale because the average age of mortality is much higher, since so many diseases that used to kill millions have been minimized or eradicated. Most of the maladies he listed in his chart are diseases of most prevalent in advanced age.

I’m not saying the insulin issue is not important for having healthier and longer lives. I want to listen to the rest of his talk later when I have time.
    I don't think it is anything like the cancer issue. Prior to the ~70's, childhood obesity was very rare, now it is an epidemic. Babies are now being born with insulin resistance due to their obese mamas.

An interesting thing to me is how he pronounces mellitus.

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable and a short i in the middle but I guess that is UK style and he is saying it US style. I have never heard anybody else say it US style before:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...betes-mellitus

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    An interesting thing to me is how he pronounces mellitus.

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable and a short i in the middle but I guess that is UK style and he is saying it US style. I have never heard anybody else say it US style before:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...betes-mellitus
    I was interested to learn the etymology of "diabetes", which means something like "pass through", in recognition of all the peeing that results from the disease, and "mellitus" which means "honeyed" or "sweet", in reference to a diabetic's piss, which is apparently just that. As the speaker noted, that characteristic was determined by multiple tastings. I respect the ancient physicians who volunteered for that job, although I would have opted for a career in welding, or at least masonry.

I was interested to learn the etymology of "diabetes", which means something like "pass through", in recognition of all the peeing that results from the disease, and "mellitus" which means "honeyed" or "sweet", in reference to a diabetic's piss, which is apparently just that. As the speaker noted, that characteristic was determined by multiple tastings. I respect the ancient physicians who volunteered for that job, although I would have opted for a career in welding, or at least masonry.
    We need one of the docs here to be our urine specialist... I'm willing to send mine once a week to SJS so he can drink it and tell me my results. I'll even pay him $20/week.

We need one of the docs here to be our urine specialist... I'm willing to send mine once a week to SJS so he can drink it and tell me my results. I'll even pay him $20/week.
    Not supposed to have drinks with sugar.
    - Goatnapper'96

The missus and I were discussing the BYU forum address (again, it's very good) and we're going to make a few changes going forward as I know I've been affected by insulin resistance issues. It occurred to me that it wouldn't be surprising if the Church, under President Nelson's direction, came out with a stronger, more refined (in a good way) view of the Word of Wisdom, esp. since Pres. Nelson seems to embody the WoW ideal as much or more than any LDS President to date.

Prof. Bikman's observations about LDS gatherings that end with a sugar-fest were funny but painfully accurate. They reminded me of a day I spent interviewing at an LA firm many years ago (I think I shared this fairly recently but I couldn't find evidence through a search). During the wrap-up lunch, I was asked why I wasn't throwing a few back along with the rest and I explained the WoW and, upon further cross-examination, said that we believed our bodies were temples that we needed to carefully maintain (I hope I didn't sound as priggish as I now fear, but oh well). Anyway, when we returned to the firm's offices for good-byes, one of the attorneys pointed to a lawyer down the hall who was rather immense, noting, "There's [John], he's a partner in our tax department. He has the largest temple in the firm." Ouch. Maybe we'll be getting more of these speeches from the conference pulpit, and not just from the Forum lectern, in the months ahead.