A new Word of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Thanks for adding substance to the conversation. I bet you are fun at parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Hey, that’s kind of catchy.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Church issues a "new" "statement" on the Word of Wisdom. Hint: it's not what we've been hoping for.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...om-august-2019
        I'm not sure why the church came out with this, maybe to target the young members but I don't think most of them care. Also it looks like something they may have to backtrack on in a couple of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Church issues a "new" "statement" on the Word of Wisdom. Hint: it's not what we've been hoping for.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...om-august-2019
          I get the sense that if the TSM administration hadn't expressly placed caffeinated soft drinks on the approved list, those may well have ended up on this list as well.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          Thanks for adding substance to the conversation. I bet you are fun at parties.

It was a joke, because someone called me out last week for not commenting on this stuff anymore. Lighten up, Francis.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Dear President Bednar,

The work in my district is going well. We taught five lessons this week, three of them to a couple of 40 something ladies (roommates) trying to find more meaning to their lives. They both used to be married and have kids, but apparently they had abusive husbands and found peace and safety living separate from the abusive fathers and their children. They seem really happy and would make great future primary workers.

At our last zone conference you asked us to put on our thinking caps and see if we could find a way to reach out and find new converts. I have thought about this and will use your words to illustrate my thinking.

Instead of "reaching out" why don't we grab? What I mean is that we've distanced ourselves from the general population so much so - that we have to "reach" between the space between new converts and active members. If we were closer, we could just put our arms around them. As time as gone on - we're now farther apart than we were 40 or 50 years ago, and instead of being a mainstream progressive church willing to embrace all and bring unto Christ - we've become more exclusive and have raised the bar of expectations for continuing members and new converts. The result is more Saints leaving the church, and a drastic drop-off on new member percentages.

We need to market the Church in a more positive light - making us a viable alternative to truth seeking Christians. To make us more viable - let's get rid of 19th century dogma that follows us like a creepy shadow - and get down to the basics of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I think President Nelson is asking us to shed our Mormon skin and become more Gospel of Jesus Christ. To that end - let's get rid of stuff that weakens our credibility THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SALVATION in the Lord's kingdom.

Becoming Celestial beings takes training - we're basically asking converts to run a marathon with little to no training. Let's bring them in - warts and all - and love them - and bring them to the temple with brandy breath and Marlboro scented temple robes. Let's keep our active youth coming by keeping them in good standing with the church by not judging them on inconsequential matters that are covered by the atonement. Currently - we're losing youth because the price they have to pay to stay is too cumbersome.

It may take 50 years to let the old guard die off and make the needed changes - but I'd like to see a church where people can train on their own schedule to become the best person they can be, without all the interviews and finger pointing that has no real value in the eternal big picture.

Other than that - we fasted three straight days and knocked on doors for 48 continuous hours (day and night) and placed only 1 Book of Mormon. We're sure the kid is golden and will join the church in two years when she turns 8.

Give my best to Sister Bednar - that sourdough start is wonderful - and we've shared it a number of people in the homeless camps. I know she'll appreciate it.

Elder clackamascoug
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-16-2019, 11:53 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I like it Clack. If you get any traction with that letter, please suggest repealing section 132 in your next one.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Dear President Bednar,

The work in my district is going well. We taught five lessons this week, three of them to a couple of 40 something ladies (roommates) trying to find more meaning to their lives. They both used to be married and have kids, but apparently they had abusive husbands and found peace and safety living separate from the abusive fathers and their children. They seem really happy and would make great future primary workers.

At our last zone conference you asked us to put on our thinking caps and see if we could find a way to reach out and find new converts. I have thought about this and will use your words to illustrate my thinking.

Instead of "reaching out" why don't we grab? What I mean is that we've distanced ourselves from the general population so much so - that we have to "reach" between the space between new converts and active members. If we were closer, we could just put our arms around them. As time as gone on - we're now farther apart than we were 40 or 50 years ago, and instead of being a mainstream progressive church willing to embrace all and bring unto Christ - we've become more exclusive and have raised the bar of expectations for continuing members and new converts. The result is more Saints leaving the church, and a drastic drop-off on new member percentages.

We need to market the Church in a more positive light - making us a viable alternative to truth seeking Christians. To make us more viable - let's get rid of 19th century dogma that follows us like a creepy shadow - and get down to the basics of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I think President Nelson is asking us to shed our Mormon skin and become more Gospel of Jesus Christ. To that end - let's get rid of stuff that weakens our credibility THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SALVATION in the Lord's kingdom.

Becoming Celestial beings takes training - we're basically asking converts to run a marathon with little to no training. Let's bring them in - warts and all - and love them - and bring them to the temple with brandy breath and Marlboro scented temple robes. Let's keep our active youth coming by keeping them in good standing with the church by not judging them on inconsequential matters that are covered by the atonement. Currently - we're losing youth because the price they have to pay to stay is too cumbersome.

It may take 50 years to let the old guard die off and make the needed changes - but I'd like to see a church where people can train on their own schedule to become the best person they can be, without all the interviews and finger pointing that has no real value in the eternal big picture.

Other than that - we fasted three straight days and knocked on doors for 48 continuous hours (day and night) and placed only 1 Book of Mormon. We're sure the kid is golden and will join the church in two years when she turns 8.

Give my best to Sister Bednar - that sourdough start is wonderful - and we've shared it a number of people in the homeless camps. I know she'll appreciate it.

Elder clackamascoug
                These missionary letters are some of my favorite posts on this board.
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  my thoughts on the WoW:

1) the modern day clarifications and the fact the church feels it necessary to "command us in all things" as it relates to the WoW is incredibly dumb

2) ignore the dumb. eat, drink whatever the hell you want and decide for yourself if you are keeping the Lord's law of health. when the question comes up in the interview say yes or no based on how you feel you are doing.
                  For tomorrow we die!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm still in favor of the temple recommend renewal process requiring a physical test. Member should prove that they live the WoW by running and not being weary. I can think of at least a dozen people in my ward that would fail that test
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

It was a joke, because someone called me out last week for not commenting on this stuff anymore. Lighten up, Francis.
                      I fixed it for the resident grammar nazis (sure seem to be a lot of those on this board). I type faster than I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I'm still in favor of the temple recommend renewal process requiring a physical test. Member should prove that they live the WoW by running and not being weary. I can think of at least a dozen people in my ward that would fail that test
                        How long will we be required to run? Minimum speed?
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• The article to clear some things up for the young people is comedy gold.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            my thoughts on the WoW:

1) the modern day clarifications and the fact the church feels it necessary to "command us in all things" as it relates to the WoW is incredibly dumb

2) ignore the dumb. eat, drink whatever the hell you want and decide for yourself if you are keeping the Lord's law of health. when the question comes up in the interview say yes or no based on how you feel you are doing.
                            Pretty much.
                            We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Some of you lawyers could drive a truck through the difference between "coffee" and "coffee based products."
                              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                                Some of you lawyers could drive a truck through the difference between "coffee" and "coffee based products."
                                Nah. This issue is is pretty black and cream with two sugars.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X