Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: A new Word of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Hey it happens and if this is the worst thing that you deal with today then count your blessings.
    Dogonit, you are right!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

mbn that's staley got cut. Someone posted it in another thread. I can't find it now but I know I saw it.
    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1365940

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The documentary Becoming Warren Buffett starts with him teaching a class in Omaha and his presentation begins like an excellent lesson on the Word of Wisdom. I intend to use his approach in a class someday.

I'll only paraphrase it here:

Imagine that at the end this of class I were to present you with the car of your choice. You can pick whatever you want, the make, model, color, options, etc.; it's all yours. But of course, there's a catch, it will be the only car you'll ever own for the rest of your life. What will you do with it? I imagine you'll take very, very good care of it. Not only do you want it to last a very long time, you want it to be a point of pride, something others will admire.

It's the same way with your brain and your body. You only get one of them, and they will necessarily have to last your entire lifetime. Will you take care of them as you would your only car? Aren't they considerably more important than that car? etc.

Funny thing, though, after that class presentation the film shows Buffett pulling up to a McDonald's for his usual breakfast. He gets one of three things (one's an Egg McMuffin, the others I don't recall), ranging in price from around $2.67 to around $3.15; he jokes that what he chooses is a function of how the market's doing, and he washes it down with a Coke. So much for taking care of his body; I'll leave that part out of the lesson.

Ahhh. During the Superbowl (and subsequently), 23 And Me has been running a commercial with this quote in the background. So now I know it is from Buffett. The commercial ties the quote in with, "So wouldn't you want to know everything you could about your genetic makeup?"

mbn that's staley got cut. Someone posted it in another thread. I can't find it now but I know I saw it.
    Lebowski put it in Funk's beer thread. Great place for it - but it belongs here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Lebowski put it in Funk's beer thread. Great place for it - but it belongs here too.
    Let's just put it everywhere!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

No matter how many times you post this you will never convince me to give up beer and you will never convince me that the WoW works as a "health code." SJBH
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    No matter how many times you post this you will never convince me to give up beer and you will never convince me that the WoW works as a "health code." SJBH
    Reminds me of something...

yea, ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Funk, my concern about your drinking is motivated entirely out of love.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Funk, my concern about your drinking is motivated entirely out of love.
    If I stop drinking, I'll have to take up being in love with Mary Jane, don't you play no games.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

I don't look at the Word of Wisdom as a 'health code' either, despite requiring abstention from multiple known carcinogens. I mean, your health will be better for sure, but being a 'health code' is not its purpose, of course.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I don't look at the Word of Wisdom as a 'health code' either, despite requiring abstention from multiple known carcinogens. I mean, your health will be better for sure, but being a 'health code' is not its purpose, of course.
    I agree. I don't know why funk pinned that on me.