Sociology of Knowledge & Religious Ideology vis-à-vis Homosexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Something else to think about vis-à-vis the Proclamation on the Family. A subversive reading of the text via Judith Butler's theories about gender being a performance, allows for the possibility of change. Think about it, "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." Since gender is behavior, while sex is the chromosomal fundamental, then, precisely because gender is behavior, could not the person who wishes to perform a different gender claim that they were that gender in the pre-existence, regardless of their chromosomal sex?

We can't use things like gender performance and phenotype to judge the sex of someone. We've all known people who both behaviorally and phenotypically do not appear to have much to do with their biologic sex. Therefore, the gender we choose to perform is the only thing that really is a characteristic of the individual identity and purpose. It was genius to choose "gender" instead of "sex." Prudishness about using the word "sex" in a document about the family led to a loophole for the future, almost like God had a hand in it.
    I dont think there was anything prudish about it. I think they chose the word gender precisely because it means a social and conventional distinction as opposed to a biological distinction, with it's many variations. I think we are being taught that we were assigned (and presumably accepted) a gender in the pre-existence and we must fulfill that measure of our creation in this life regardless of our biological condition or status.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I think we are being taught that we were assigned (and presumably accepted) a gender in the pre-existence and we must fulfill that measure of our creation in this life regardless of our biological condition or status.

So, are you saying that the intersexed are allowed to feel a gender that they are not biologically, and fulfill that gender's measure of creation? For example, born a woman with a vagina, age 22, never had a period. You go to the doctor, after many tests, you don't have ovaries, you have undescended testicles---you're a man, baby. You feel like a woman; you've been a woman your whole life, but biologically, you are a man.

Priesthood or Veil?
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post

Until the LDS ideology can justify the existence and acceptance of these people as whole and natural children of our Heavenly Father, then the ideology for most members will continue to function thusly:

MEMBER:"I have several homosexual friends. They have adopted children, are loving parents, faithful companions, and great neighbors. I don't know why the Brethren are always saying that the calamities foretold by prophets will come about because of these people."

GENERAL CONFERENCE: "THAT'S PRECISELY WHY YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL!"
        SeattleUte, are you contending that the idea behind this statement (which the Dude explained in his critique) is what drove last night's announcement? If so, I agree with you completely.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

That letter today calling the Proclamation on the Family "doctrinal" reminded me of this thread.

Comment

I got this sent to me today.

https://lgbt.leadingsaints.org/lgbt-...V7luwhEEW6CUUs

Looks interesting. I think the phrase "minister to" is much better than "deal with".

Comment

Working...
            X