US Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I appreciate the Icelandic announcer orgasms and the Swedish Fart stories, but I wish we would post them in the Euro tournament thread.
    Ah, but it wasn't during Euro 2016. Just Swedish professional league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Ah, but it wasn't during Euro 2016. Just Swedish professional league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ah I see. Then I guess it belongs in the US Soccer thread after all.

In other news, Howard will be starting in goal tomorrow. Strange move.

Comment

• A disappointing end to the tournament. We let one in the first half but I honestly think we were the better team for nearly 3/4 of the game including the entire second half. It was nice to come back and play them so well after getting run the first game but I want to win these games once in a while.

Orozco got sent off in the 89th minute for shoving Arias after getting a half head butt from him. Stupid play but at least the ref got Arias too.

Comment

• England is losing to Iceland in the European Championship.

Lol, I think, the state of Wyoming has more people than Iceland.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

A disappointing end to the tournament. We let one in the first half but I honestly think we were the better team for nearly 3/4 of the game including the entire second half. It was nice to come back and play them so well after getting run the first game but I want to win these games once in a while.

Orozco got sent off in the 89th minute for shoving Arias after getting a half head butt from him. Stupid play but at least the ref got Arias too.
            I guess USA soccer team really is BYU! http://https://www.facebook.com/TheH...3198295901361/

Comment

• Random comment here but illustrates what I hate about youth soccer in the US.

I was reading about Andre Yedlin's background. He's lauded as kind of the poster boy for the National US Soccer organization's meddling of youth soccer in America. They set up development programs around all the MLS teams, and then from that flows the club soccer organizations that monopolize youth soccer. They are extremely expensive and essentially require full time commitment to soccer. Their goal is to identify a huge pool of young talent and develop them into international level stars. IMHO, they are putting a strangle hold on youth soccer development by filtering out all the best athletes by age 12 or younger. Soccer at the competitive youth level has always been a white, suburban sport in the US, but instead of allowing the beauty and growing popularity of the sport to evolve and expand out of that, the system is forcing it even tighter into that box.

Andre Yedlin appears to be a success story for the national system. A black kid from Seattle with NFL type speed and athleticism, that the Seattle pro organization found and developed into one of our bright young prospects. Well here's the rest of the story. He's half black, half Russian and was raised by a rich white Russian grandfather in Seattle suburbs that also happened to be a soccer coach. So, this is exactly the same kind of player who would have played soccer 30 years ago.

I really like soccer. Each of my kids have played club soccer. Each time, I put my money down begrudgingly which is >3X what they pay for basketball (for example). btw, that money doesn't get access to better coaching, more games, more practice, etc, than they get in basketball, football, baseball. I don't know where that money goes except that there are bloated club, state, and national organizations that all get a piece of it. Anyway, I put my money down, and I enjoy watching them play, but inevitably the cost and other variables cause the best athletes to quit and move on, leaving the dentist and doctor's kids to field the high school team. It's one of my major pet peeves.

If they want the national team to improve and soccer to get more popular, they need to blow up that system and open up access to a much wider group of kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                Random comment here but illustrates what I hate about youth soccer in the US.

I was reading about Andre Yedlin's background. He's lauded as kind of the poster boy for the National US Soccer organization's meddling of youth soccer in America. They set up development programs around all the MLS teams, and then from that flows the club soccer organizations that monopolize youth soccer. They are extremely expensive and essentially require full time commitment to soccer. Their goal is to identify a huge pool of young talent and develop them into international level stars. IMHO, they are putting a strangle hold on youth soccer development by filtering out all the best athletes by age 12 or younger. Soccer at the competitive youth level has always been a white, suburban sport in the US, but instead of allowing the beauty and growing popularity of the sport to evolve and expand out of that, the system is forcing it even tighter into that box.

Andre Yedlin appears to be a success story for the national system. A black kid from Seattle with NFL type speed and athleticism, that the Seattle pro organization found and developed into one of our bright young prospects. Well here's the rest of the story. He's half black, half Russian and was raised by a rich white Russian grandfather in Seattle suburbs that also happened to be a soccer coach. So, this is exactly the same kind of player who would have played soccer 30 years ago.

I really like soccer. Each of my kids have played club soccer. Each time, I put my money down begrudgingly which is >3X what they pay for basketball (for example). btw, that money doesn't get access to better coaching, more games, more practice, etc, than they get in basketball, football, baseball. I don't know where that money goes except that there are bloated club, state, and national organizations that all get a piece of it. Anyway, I put my money down, and I enjoy watching them play, but inevitably the cost and other variables cause the best athletes to quit and move on, leaving the dentist and doctor's kids to field the high school team. It's one of my major pet peeves.

If they want the national team to improve and soccer to get more popular, they need to blow up that system and open up access to a much wider group of kids.
                They are trying to emulate the European Academy system, but we are decades behind. I agree they need to open it up to children of little means because the club system also doesn't work to promote the game widely.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Klinsmann to England?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/theres-...023612712.html

There’s a chance Jurgen Klinsmann could be taking over England after all. (AP Photo)
                  There might be more to do this than we thought.

After word emerged last week that Jurgen Klinsmann had declared his interest in succeeding Roy Hodgson in the newly vacant England manager job, we wrote that we were skeptical that he’d make such an advance, and more cynical yet that he’d take such a job – were it to even be offered to him.

But on Tuesday, England’s Daily Telegraph reported that Klinsmann is on the shortlist for the job. And let’s establish here that the Telegraph, a respected broadsheet, has a much stronger record of getting this sort of thing right than a lot of other English newspapers. Unlike the tabloids, it doesn’t report things unless they are credibly sourced.

Comment

I read that, but wondered given Klinsie's ties to California if he would want to move to England. Of course, I can see why he might wish to do so, as the talent pool in England is much deeper. It would damage us, as I believe he can bring us much higher and there is no apparent successor with his credentials. In short, I hope not.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Good article on Christian Pulisic, potentially the first US soccer world class superstar. http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/11/...-pulisic-made/

Age 18 and already a part time starter for a legit Champions League type team Borrusia Dortmund of the Bundesliga. Liverpool wants him, but it sounds like Dortmund is going to try to keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        Good article on Christian Pulisic, potentially the first US soccer world class superstar. http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/11/...-pulisic-made/

Age 18 and already a part time starter for a legit Champions League type team Borrusia Dortmund of the Bundesliga. Liverpool wants him, but it sounds like Dortmund is going to try to keep him.
                        FS2 shows Bundesliga games and primarily they're either featuring Bayern Munich or Dortmund or sometimes Schalke. Dortmund was playing Schalke a couple weeks ago and Pulisic played the entire game. Dortmund played Munich in the Champions League semifinals or finals, I forget, a few years back. When I was on my mission, they won the Champions League.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Mexico's better than we are. But we're getting better slowly over time. Bradley's terrible. He needs to go.

Comment

• We need a result in Costa Rica. Opening the Hex with 2 losses would be bad.

Comment

• The ticos finally broke through in the 43rd minute. It was a long time coming as they have had a lot of good chances. John Brooks getting abused and he ended up giving up the goal...really weak challenge on the cross.

Comment

• No bueno.

Comment

Working...
                                X