No announcement yet.

US Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An uninspiring Gold Cup campaign so far. After drawing Panama 1-1, we nearly gave up a draw to Martinique (pop. 380,000) last night. We were cruising up 2-0 and then gave up two bad goals, needing a second goal by Morris late in the second half to secure the 3-2 win. This is definitely our B squad, but we should still easily handle teams like this. Guzan has had a solid career but he looks poor now. I don't think he has any shot of challenging Howard for the starting position in Russia, so I wouldn't mind seeing our younger keepers get some experience in these games.

Comment

• Better today. 3-0 win over Nicaragua to end group play. We needed to win by 3 to win the group and avoid Costa Rica in the quarterfinal and we almost blew it by failing to score on two penalties. Univision cut to Arena after the second was blocked and his very appropriate reaction was to yell "Motherf*****!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Better today. 3-0 win over Nicaragua to end group play. We needed to win by 3 to win the group and avoid Costa Rica in the quarterfinal and we almost blew it by failing to score on two penalties. Univision cut to Arena after the second was blocked and his very appropriate reaction was to yell "Motherf*****!"
        Oh how the mighty have fallen, when we fear Los Ticos.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Oh how the mighty have fallen, when we fear Los Ticos.
          We don't fear them, but in any tournament you want to avoid the strongest teams in the earlier rounds. You probably don't remember, but Costa Rica had far and away the best performance of CONCACAF teams at last world cup and at times has played like the best team in the region. Wanting to avoid Mexico and Costa Rica until at least the semis is just common sense.

Arena made 6 roster changes today, bringing in some veterans for the knockout stage.
          Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-16-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Frustrating semifinal against Costa Rica now in the 65th minute. We have controlled possession most of the game and have had many more chances. We just can't break through though and the official is again making some strange decisions. Morris had a ball off the post 18 seconds in. I think we would be up by 2 or 3 now had he buried that. Hopefully CR doesn't steal it.

Bradley, Nagbe, and Morris have been the bright spots. Altidore looks a little slow and tentative. The back line has been a breath of fresh air and very organized except for Zusi who just makes mistakes and then complains loudly to the ref.

Comment

• Altidore finally gets us on the board with a fantastic finish on a fantastic assist from Dempsey. When Arena brought Dempsey in 5 minutes ago, my first thought is "why are you bringing the old man in now?" But he certainly delivered by creating that chance.

Comment

• Don't call him old!
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Don't call him old!
                  If that is the result I'll keep calling him old every match.

Comment

• Mexico just pulled a Klinsmann and got bounced by Jamaica in the Gold Cup semifinal. I would have liked to play them in the final but whenever Mexico or the Utes lose I have no real complaints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Mexico just pulled a Klinsmann and got bounced by Jamaica in the Gold Cup semifinal. I would have liked to play them in the final but whenever Mexico or the Utes lose I have no real complaints.
                      Good to see Mexico lose!

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Jamaica's goalkeeper may have just messed up his hand pretty badly. He made a great save and then came out to and then Acosta kicked the his hand full strength when he came out to block the rebound. I saw blood when they were immobilizing his hand before they took him off.

Comment

• Jozy made a perfect free kick. I wouldn't call that a mess up.

Comment

• Great defense guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Great defense guys.
                              You mean guy (Morris). It only takes one guy screwing up to conceded a goal.

Comment

• Redemption for Morris. I knew he had a cannon but that was quite impressive to get around that ball in one step and send it that hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X