US Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I hate to be like SU talking down to BYU fans, but I don't think there was necessarily anything anyone did wrong, including Gulati, Klinsman, Arena. We've got talent level in the system to the effect that our results this qualifying period is within the range of expectation. It was randomly on the low end, but not outside of random expectation.
    I disagree. Yes we are in a trough of what has been a cyclical up and down (instead of constant upward progress) since we came back to the world cup in 1990. But not at least making it to the play-in spot in this region is well below what we should expect. When you add in how we got bounced it is worse. By most measures the loss to T&T is the worst in the history of US Soccer.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-mens-soccer/

Looking only at World Cup matches and qualifiers, it was the worst loss in USMNT’s history based on the Elo rating system. Going into the game, Elo gave the U.S. an 83 percent chance of beating Trinidad and Tobago, making the Americans huge favorites even after accounting for the fact that they were playing on the road. Going back to 1885, the American men had never lost a match at that level when they had such a high probability of winning. And it came with all the chips on the table. You cannot blame U.S. soccer fans for being a little woozy this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      I disagree. Yes we are in a trough of what has been a cyclical up and down (instead of constant upward progress) since we came back to the world cup in 1990. But not at least making it to the play-in spot in this region is well below what we should expect. When you add in how we got bounced it is worse. By most measures the loss to T&T is the worst in the history of US Soccer.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...s-mens-soccer/
      But do you think we have better talent? Or are you saying the bosses are to blame for not developing talent? What are they not doing right? I agree we are not doing anything to developer players, but I wouldn't say we have talent in the system that should be expected to do significantly better than how we do.

Comment

• every neighborhood I've ever lived in, the athletes play football, basketball, baseball. you know, the real athletes - the kids whose parents were legit athletes. the kids who play soccer into jr high and high school are the kids whose parents never touched a ball as kids but wanted their kids to play a sport.

that's why u.s. soccer sucks. youth soccer is made up of nerds and non-athletes. there you all go - mystery solved.

there are exceptions, of course, but not nearly enough of them.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          every neighborhood I've ever lived in, the athletes play football, basketball, baseball. you know, the real athletes - the kids whose parents were legit athletes. the kids who play soccer into jr high and high school are the kids whose parents never touched a ball as kids but wanted their kids to play a sport.

that's why u.s. soccer sucks. youth soccer is made up of nerds and non-athletes. there you all go - mystery solved.

Yep. But we already knew that. Look at you bringing new insights to the soccer thread!

I've got one for the Jazz thread: if Salt Lake was a major city on the west coast and wasn't full of mormons, we'd be able to attract and keep better talent in the free agency market. *hot take*
          Last edited by falafel; 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

But do you think we have better talent? Or are you saying the bosses are to blame for not developing talent? What are they not doing right? I agree we are not doing anything to developer players, but I wouldn't say we have talent in the system that should be expected to do significantly better than how we do.
            I do think we should have better talent in the system being we are a nation of 300 million people that produces the best athletes in the world. And yes that is an ongoing systemic failure that can't be laid at the feet of only Gulati. But I am saying that not qualifying out of CONCACAF (even given our level of talent), and getting bounced the way we did is so inexcusable that this is one of those times when heads should roll just because. When there is a mistake this bad, the buck stops at the top even if it isn't explicitly his/her fault.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            every neighborhood I've ever lived in, the athletes play football, basketball, baseball. you know, the real athletes - the kids whose parents were legit athletes. the kids who play soccer into jr high and high school are the kids whose parents never touched a ball as kids but wanted their kids to play a sport.

That may be true in the Mountain time zone and was certainly true in Omaha when I grew up. But that is not what I see at all in NYC. Pickups games at every park are full of young talented kids. High school soccer is a big deal and the players are very very good. The best players are usually kids of immigrants but why aren't we identifying these kids and getting them in the pipeline? I suppose this is what Jay has been saying all along about the club system.

Comment

• There's more randomness in soccer than any other sport. And though over a 10 game qualification, that should get sorted out, and we're in an easy group, I still find it hard to get too upset over the management of the team. If you look at standings in other qualifying groups, there's all kind of funky results. I think a deeper problem is to look at why we can't develop players. But like I've said before, I think we're going about that all wrong.

Comment

There's more randomness in soccer than any other sport. And though over a 10 game qualification, that should get sorted out, and we're in an easy group, I still find it hard to get too upset over the management of the team. If you look at standings in other qualifying groups, there's all kind of funky results. I think a deeper problem is to look at why we can't develop players. But like I've said before, I think we're going about that all wrong.
                There is a bit of randomness if it is down to one game but in the qualification rounds, not so much.

I disagree with people saying we don't have enough talent. It may not be properly identified or developed, but we have 42 million people in the US playing soccer, and 4.2 Million registered players. Iceland, a country of 335,000 with two major EPL players, qualified. T&T defeated the US. That is absurd.

The distribution of enough quality is there. With pay for play, we are promoting and developing our talent correctly.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

It's been a few years - but when I was a kid playing soccer in Jr. High, our best player played the first half of the season with us. Until football started. Then we might seem him from time to time at games when it didn't conflict with his football games. Other than that, he was done.

There's a lot of kids I know who play soccer to keep in shape for their primary sport - football or basketball.

That aside - I do believe that the number of kids who have soccer as their first love is increasing. I think the US is making progress, but I also think it's always going to be a 2 steps forward, 1 step backward kind of deal.

Comment

• We may be doing something right with the youth teams. U-17 men demolished Paraguay 5-0 to get to the WC quarterfinals. Weah had a hat trick. I need to find their next game to watch it. Maybe it will cheer me up a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      We may be doing something right with the youth teams. U-17 men demolished Paraguay 5-0 to get to the WC quarterfinals. Weah had a hat trick. I need to find their next game to watch it. Maybe it will cheer me up a bit.
                      How do you find where to watch these games? I don't know enough about these teams to know if other nations have their best players at U-20 and U-23 already on their national teams or not.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        It's been a few years - but when I was a kid playing soccer in Jr. High, our best player played the first half of the season with us. Until football started. Then we might seem him from time to time at games when it didn't conflict with his football games. Other than that, he was done.

There's a lot of kids I know who play soccer to keep in shape for their primary sport - football or basketball.

That aside - I do believe that the number of kids who have soccer as their first love is increasing. I think the US is making progress, but I also think it's always going to be a 2 steps forward, 1 step backward kind of deal.
                        I think the time where kids could play 2 or 3 sports through high school is largely over. Everyone is so specialized and kids train all year long for one sport. There's almost zero time to play more than one sport competitively. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts soccer. It obviously helps when kids decide that soccer is their no. 1 sport, but you'll also lose those kids who would have played through middle school and high school as long as they didn't have to give up their other sports.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Where aren’t HS kids playing more than one sport?
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            Where aren’t HS kids playing more than one sport?
                            Not at my kids HS.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                              Not at my kids HS.
                              Or mine, or any of the football recruits I see signed every year.

Wait maybe I misread your post. Are kids at your HS only playing one sport? I’m not a smart person so reading is hard sometimes.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Or mine, or any of the football recruits I see signed every year.

Wait maybe I misread your post. Are kids at your HS only playing one sport? I’m not a smart person so reading is hard sometimes.
                                I love HFN's self-deprecation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X