Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 241 to 248 of 248

Thread: US Soccer

  1. #241

    Default

    I know it was the worst kept secret, but I still cant believe we waited a year for an MLS coach. Berhalter is a decent coach, but this is just going back to business as usual after the Klinsmann experiment failure. So Stewart just hired an old buddy from his national team days.

    I would be fine with this if there were limited options, but plenty of highly qualified people expressed interest. We didnt even interview Osario, and Lopetegui (former Spanish nation team coach and brief tenure at real madrid) reached out in November to apply for the job but was brushed back

    Nepotism and a closed culture are the biggest criticisms of the federation, so Stewart hires an old teammate who has an older brother with an executive position in US Soccer. It just looks bad. And it gives me no faith that we will try to catch up with the rest of the world.

  2. #242
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    I speculate it is so USDF can control the team and development as the management doesn’t want to cede control to anybody. It is a loathsome, uninspiring hire. Berhalter has achieved nothing.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  3. #243

    Default

    USMNT looking OK but not great right now in Gold Cup. Match with Mexico on Sunday should be good to evaluate where we're at. Pulisic looks great. McKennie and Boyd nice. Adams is at that level but out with injury. Outside of that, we're really weak. I was optimistic, but I'm starting to be skeptical if two more years of development of our young players is going to be enough to get us at a level we could make a splash in the World Cup (ie top 15ish in the world).

  4. #244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    USMNT looking OK but not great right now in Gold Cup. Match with Mexico on Sunday should be good to evaluate where we're at. Pulisic looks great. McKennie and Boyd nice. Adams is at that level but out with injury. Outside of that, we're really weak. I was optimistic, but I'm starting to be skeptical if two more years of development of our young players is going to be enough to get us at a level we could make a splash in the World Cup (ie top 15ish in the world).
    I know every fan who pays attention feels like this, but Berhalter is not the answer. Such a frustrating game to have so many early chances and then go into a shell and wait for Mexico to score the winner. Also, really weird substitutions and really weird we went from having Steffen play it deep in the first half and keeping the pressure on them to trying to play out of the back line in the second half and giving up the ball before midfield most of the time.

    I wasnt impressed when they announced him and I have little confidence he will take us where we want to be this cycle. I will always hope though.
    Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.

  5. #245
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I know every fan who pays attention feels like this, but Berhalter is not the answer. Such a frustrating game to have so many early chances and then go into a shell and wait for Mexico to score the winner. Also, really weird substitutions and really weird we went from having Steffen play it deep in the first half and keeping the pressure on them to trying to play out of the back line in the second half and giving up the ball before midfield most of the time.

    I wasnt impressed when they announced him and I have little confidence he will take us where we want to be this cycle. I will always hope though.
    No more Zardes. He's awful.

    GB is there because he is US Soccer's lap dog.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  6. #246

    Default

    This team has a long ways to go. If we expect to do anything in the next World Cup, we've got a lot of work to do. It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer. We need our young guys to develop quickly, but that's probably asking too much. Pulisic-McKennie-Adams will be solid, but that's not much to build a team around when everyone else is MLS or young guys like Sargent and Weah that are potential only right now.

  7. #247
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer.
    Sure we do. They just go play more important sports instead.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  8. #248
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer.
    bump.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •