No announcement yet.

US Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it was the worst kept secret, but I still cant believe we waited a year for an MLS coach. Berhalter is a decent coach, but this is just going back to business as usual after the Klinsmann experiment failure. So Stewart just hired an old buddy from his national team days.

I would be fine with this if there were limited options, but plenty of highly qualified people expressed interest. We didnt even interview Osario, and Lopetegui (former Spanish nation team coach and brief tenure at real madrid) reached out in November to apply for the job but was brushed back

Nepotism and a closed culture are the biggest criticisms of the federation, so Stewart hires an old teammate who has an older brother with an executive position in US Soccer. It just looks bad. And it gives me no faith that we will try to catch up with the rest of the world.

Comment

• I speculate it is so USDF can control the team and development as the management doesn’t want to cede control to anybody. It is a loathsome, uninspiring hire. Berhalter has achieved nothing.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• USMNT looking OK but not great right now in Gold Cup. Match with Mexico on Sunday should be good to evaluate where we're at. Pulisic looks great. McKennie and Boyd nice. Adams is at that level but out with injury. Outside of that, we're really weak. I was optimistic, but I'm starting to be skeptical if two more years of development of our young players is going to be enough to get us at a level we could make a splash in the World Cup (ie top 15ish in the world).

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          USMNT looking OK but not great right now in Gold Cup. Match with Mexico on Sunday should be good to evaluate where we're at. Pulisic looks great. McKennie and Boyd nice. Adams is at that level but out with injury. Outside of that, we're really weak. I was optimistic, but I'm starting to be skeptical if two more years of development of our young players is going to be enough to get us at a level we could make a splash in the World Cup (ie top 15ish in the world).
          I know every fan who pays attention feels like this, but Berhalter is not the answer. Such a frustrating game to have so many early chances and then go into a shell and wait for Mexico to score the winner. Also, really weird substitutions and really weird we went from having Steffen play it deep in the first half and keeping the pressure on them to trying to play out of the back line in the second half and giving up the ball before midfield most of the time.

I wasnt impressed when they announced him and I have little confidence he will take us where we want to be this cycle. I will always hope though.
          Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-07-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            I know every fan who pays attention feels like this, but Berhalter is not the answer. Such a frustrating game to have so many early chances and then go into a shell and wait for Mexico to score the winner. Also, really weird substitutions and really weird we went from having Steffen play it deep in the first half and keeping the pressure on them to trying to play out of the back line in the second half and giving up the ball before midfield most of the time.

I wasnt impressed when they announced him and I have little confidence he will take us where we want to be this cycle. I will always hope though.
            No more Zardes. He's awful.

GB is there because he is US Soccer's lap dog.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• This team has a long ways to go. If we expect to do anything in the next World Cup, we've got a lot of work to do. It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer. We need our young guys to develop quickly, but that's probably asking too much. Pulisic-McKennie-Adams will be solid, but that's not much to build a team around when everyone else is MLS or young guys like Sargent and Weah that are potential only right now.

Comment

It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer.
                Sure we do. They just go play more important sports instead.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

It's really disappointing how we basically don't have a single citizen of the United States aged 24-30 that's worth a darn in soccer.
                  bump.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Pulisic starting today in Champions League semifinal. I wonder if this is the biggest game a US men's national has started in. Pulisic was doing well and was given the #10 jersey with Chelsea, but the new coach didn't like him and benched him most of the first few months since he came on. But last couple months, Pulisic has come on strong again and now usually plays when they field their strongest team.

A lot of young players doing well in Europe. Reyna, Adams, McKennie, Sargent, Dest. Musah committing was a big deal. US might be a legit top 10 team in the world by the time World Cup rolls around.
                    Last edited by jay santos; 04-27-2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• USA! USA! USA!

Suck it Mexico!

Comment

• I am on record as a Berhalter skeptic from the beginning. I was seduced by the two tournament wins this year, with both final matches beating Mexico. The Nations League win in particular was a beautiful comeback win over a full strength Mexico side. Our young players are playing in the best leagues and they looked ready to bring us back out of obscurity.

The final round of WC qualifying brought me crashing back to earth. Two draws in the first two games (including one at home against Canada), and one total goal. Now trailing 0-1 at half in Honduras. If we don't salvage a point this will be a disastrous start. I've seen this movie before and I hate it. We look just sloppy ND a totally different team than this summer.

Comment

• Well my concerns remain but they have put together a hell of a stretch over the last 15 minutes and are now leading 3-1 and should take the 3 points. I don't like that this is the first time they have been awake in qualifying but I'll take the points.

Comment

• I don't follow soccer, but some of my childhood friends have been talking about it on Facebook. Seems really unfair to have Mexico play in Edmonton in November. There is a snow storm blowing through there right now and the game time temp is supposed to be around 17F.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              I don't follow soccer, but some of my childhood friends have been talking about it on Facebook. Seems really unfair to have Mexico play in Edmonton in November. There is a snow storm blowing through there right now and the game time temp is supposed to be around 17F.
                              You guys don't have any indoor stadiums up there?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post

You guys don't have any indoor stadiums up there?
                                Nope. It is a very nice stadium and has some great summer events, but it is very much exposed.

Commonwealth Stadium | City of Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                                X