Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: US Soccer

An uninspiring Gold Cup campaign so far. After drawing Panama 1-1, we nearly gave up a draw to Martinique (pop. 380,000) last night. We were cruising up 2-0 and then gave up two bad goals, needing a second goal by Morris late in the second half to secure the 3-2 win. This is definitely our B squad, but we should still easily handle teams like this. Guzan has had a solid career but he looks poor now. I don't think he has any shot of challenging Howard for the starting position in Russia, so I wouldn't mind seeing our younger keepers get some experience in these games.

Better today. 3-0 win over Nicaragua to end group play. We needed to win by 3 to win the group and avoid Costa Rica in the quarterfinal and we almost blew it by failing to score on two penalties. Univision cut to Arena after the second was blocked and his very appropriate reaction was to yell "Motherf*****!"

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Better today. 3-0 win over Nicaragua to end group play. We needed to win by 3 to win the group and avoid Costa Rica in the quarterfinal and we almost blew it by failing to score on two penalties. Univision cut to Arena after the second was blocked and his very appropriate reaction was to yell "Motherf*****!"
    Oh how the mighty have fallen, when we fear Los Ticos.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Oh how the mighty have fallen, when we fear Los Ticos.
    We don't fear them, but in any tournament you want to avoid the strongest teams in the earlier rounds. You probably don't remember, but Costa Rica had far and away the best performance of CONCACAF teams at last world cup and at times has played like the best team in the region. Wanting to avoid Mexico and Costa Rica until at least the semis is just common sense.

Arena made 6 roster changes today, bringing in some veterans for the knockout stage.
    Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-16-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Frustrating semifinal against Costa Rica now in the 65th minute. We have controlled possession most of the game and have had many more chances. We just can't break through though and the official is again making some strange decisions. Morris had a ball off the post 18 seconds in. I think we would be up by 2 or 3 now had he buried that. Hopefully CR doesn't steal it.

Bradley, Nagbe, and Morris have been the bright spots. Altidore looks a little slow and tentative. The back line has been a breath of fresh air and very organized except for Zusi who just makes mistakes and then complains loudly to the ref.

Altidore finally gets us on the board with a fantastic finish on a fantastic assist from Dempsey. When Arena brought Dempsey in 5 minutes ago, my first thought is "why are you bringing the old man in now?" But he certainly delivered by creating that chance.

Don't call him old!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Don't call him old!
    If that is the result I'll keep calling him old every match.

Mexico just pulled a Klinsmann and got bounced by Jamaica in the Gold Cup semifinal. I would have liked to play them in the final but whenever Mexico or the Utes lose I have no real complaints.

Pre-Historic Man

Mexico just pulled a Klinsmann and got bounced by Jamaica in the Gold Cup semifinal. I would have liked to play them in the final but whenever Mexico or the Utes lose I have no real complaints.
    Good to see Mexico lose!

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Jamaica's goalkeeper may have just messed up his hand pretty badly. He made a great save and then came out to and then Acosta kicked the his hand full strength when he came out to block the rebound. I saw blood when they were immobilizing his hand before they took him off.

Pre-Historic Man

Jozy made a perfect free kick. I wouldn't call that a mess up.

Pre-Historic Man

Great defense guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Great defense guys.
    You mean guy (Morris). It only takes one guy screwing up to conceded a goal.

Redemption for Morris. I knew he had a cannon but that was quite impressive to get around that ball in one step and send it that hard.

You mean guy (Morris). It only takes one guy screwing up to conceded a goal.
    He got it back.

Did Dempsey assist on that goal?

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

That was fun. USA!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    He got it back.

Did Dempsey assist on that goal?
    I thought it just bounced off him but I just went back and looked and he might have known that Morris was back there and was knocking it down for him. If so that was impressive. I don't know if they scored it an assist.

I thought it just bounced off him but I just went back and looked and he might have known that Morris was back there and was knocking it down for him. If so that was impressive. I don't know if they scored it an assist.
    That's what it looked like. I wish they would break it down.

I'm waiting for analysis from Omaha 680.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I'm waiting for analysis from Omaha 680.
    Announcers had it right. Costa Rica wanted to slow the game down and frustrate us and then pick their spots to counter. We fell right into their trap. No composure. And altidore makes it worse by picking up a stupid yellow to get suspended for the next match which is now very important.

We're not in deep trouble but we are sure making it way too interesting. I would have been at this game but I had to come to Omaha this weekend for a wedding. Glad I wasn't home to waste the money.

I'm not watching but it's time to start being mildly worried about our chances of qualifying. We need to salvage a point here.

Huge huge equalizer by Wood off the bench to get the point. Keeps us in third in the hex ahead of Honduras on goal differential. A loss in this game would have been a real disaster.

We did not deserve a point, but I am happy to take it.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Great start! Pulisic singlehandedly responsible for both goals — creates the easiest possible tap in for Altidore. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Great start! Pulisic singlehandedly responsible for both goals — creates the easiest possible tap in for Altidore. So good.
    Altidore and Wood both with blown chances. Penalty puts USA up 3-0. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Altidore and Wood both with blown chances. Penalty puts USA up 3-0. Very good.
    Altidore went Freakonomics on that PK.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Altidore went Freakonomics on that PK.
    The ole Panenka.

I guess it doesn't make sense to post about the US in the 2018 Russia thread anymore.

Classy statement by Arena a he steps down.

When I took the job last November, I knew there was a great challenge ahead, probably more than most people could appreciate. Everyone involved in the program gave everything they had for the last 11 months and, in the end, we came up short. No excuses. We didn’t get the job done, and I accept responsibility.
    I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I can say this from the bottom of my heart: from the high of reaching the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup to the low of a few days ago; I have appreciated every minute of being a part of this program.
    Some are saying Gulati shouldn't have allowed him to resign; that he should have fired him before the plane landed back in the states. But I don't think that's how you treat a coach who has given a lot to US Soccer and answered a call to try to save a sinking ship. Arena was never the long term solution and he made some mistakes this year but it's not all his fault. If Gulati doesn't resign as well he needs to not run for re-election in February. We need new blood from the top down.

I hate to be like SU talking down to BYU fans, but I don't think there was necessarily anything anyone did wrong, including Gulati, Klinsman, Arena. We've got talent level in the system to the effect that our results this qualifying period is within the range of expectation. It was randomly on the low end, but not outside of random expectation.