Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Soccer

Default US Soccer

The women opened olympic qualifying yesterday and the DR was only 15 goals short of pulling off the huge upset. Note the natural hat trick in the space of 12 minutes.

Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
    USA 7 7 14
    DOM 0 0 0

USA -- Abby Wambach (Heather O’Reilly) 1st minute
    USA -- Carli Lloyd (Abby Wambach) 5
    USA -- Rachel Buehler (Abby Wambach) 7
    USA -- Heather O’Reilly (Ali Krieger) 17
    USA -- Abby Wambach (Carli Lloyd) 19
    USA -- Tobin Heath (Heather O’Reilly) 30
    USA -- Heather O’Reilly (Lauren Cheney) 31
    USA -- Amy Rodriguez (Lauren Cheney) 46
    USA -- Amy Rodriguez (Lauren Cheney) 48
    USA -- Amy Rodriguez (Unassisted) 58
    USA -- Lauren Cheney (Heather O’Reilly) 64
    USA -- Amy Rodriguez (Lauren Cheney) 69
    USA -- Amy Rodriguez (Alex Morgan) 75
    USA -- Heather O’Reilly (Amy Rodriguez) 78

Also the men play Venezuela tonight at 7:00 on ESPN 3. The strikers available for tonight? Teal Bunbury, C.J. Sapong and Chris Wondolowski. Take that Hugo.

Dempsey! USA up 1-0 over Italy in the 2nd half.

Old school jerseys. I think I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Maybe I don't like them. I don't understand the sleeves.

Dempsey! USA up 1-0 over Italy in the 2nd half.

Is this on the radio somewhere? I searched for a station carrying ot to stream and came up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Is this on the radio somewhere? I searched for a station carrying ot to stream and came up empty.
    I doubt it's on the radio. ESPN3 maybe?

Lot's of dangerous chances for the Italians. Would be a great win for the US if they can hold on.. 82nd minute

USA! USA! USA!!!!!

Fantastic win on Italian soil.

Just opened the Gamecast to check 19(7) to 4(2) on shots. Howard must be playing out of his mind.

USA! USA! USA!!!!!

Fantastic win on Italian soil.
    This is a great win. I was skeptical of Klinsmann, but he seems to have us headed in the right direction.

Just opened the Gamecast to check 19(7) to 4(2) on shots. Howard must be playing out of his mind.
    Howard was great. USA bunkered down after the goal, so Italy had a ton of offensive pressure the last 30 minutes.

Howard was great. USA bunkered down after the goal, so Italy had a ton of offensive pressure the last 30 minutes.
    Lots of defensive deflections/blocks - guys were throwing their bodies around.

Toward the end one of the Italian players was chasing a ball wide of the US goal. He lowered his shoulder and tried to knock the US defender off the ball but bounced off him and fell to the ground. That made me smile.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Historic win. Can't wait for the olympics.

Unbelievable.. US is out. No olympics for the US..

El Salvador with a goal at the very last second to eliminate USA. Damn.

[QUOTE=LiveCoug;792264]Unbelievable.. US is out. No olympics for the US..

El Salvador with a goal at the very last second to eliminate USA. Damn.[QUOTE]

100's of Americans are devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
    Historic win. Can't wait for the olympics.
    Well shit

Brazil >>>>>>>>>>> USA

Brazil >>>>>>>>>>> USA
    Brazil >>>>> USA

Banned

Sheesh the us stinks.

This is the most mediocre seleção brasileira in three decades and they are having their way

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Sheesh the us stinks.

This is the most mediocre seleção brasileira in three decades and they are having their way
    Despite the score, USA played quite well in the second half. They were very unlucky not to get at least 2 goals in the 2nd half. Rafael was amazing in goal. Really had some incredible saves. The crossbar was mean to both teams and the USA missed an incredible easy open net opportunity too. That was an awful miss.

Women play at Rio Tinto against Canada in their olympic sendoff today. I'm curious to see if they will implement any of the fixing suggestions offered up by this board.

The Klinsmann way is paying off. I've never seen the US so dynamic on offense. They followed up their dramatic 4-3 comeback win over the Netherlands a few days ago with a 2-1 stunner over Germany today. We are playing and beating elite European soccer powers on their own soil. Yes, these teams aren't the A squads but neither is ours right now. These are fantastic wins even when the rosters are considered.

The Klinsmann way is paying off. I've never seen the US so dynamic on offense. They followed up their dramatic 4-3 comeback win over the Netherlands a few days ago with a 2-1 stunner over Germany today. We are playing and beating elite European soccer powers on their own soil. Yes, these teams aren't the A squads but neither is ours right now. These are fantastic wins even when the rosters are considered.
    Aren't these games the equivalent of the NFL pre-season?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I'll try to resurrect this thread instead of posting all US Soccer stuff in the current World Cup thread. Copa America kicks off tonight. Klinsmann is surely feeling the heat and has to win over a lot of skeptics (including me at times). Bombing out of the Gold Cup the way we did and then losing the Confederations Cup playoff to Mexico made for a really awful summer last year.

I think Klinsmann still tinkers too much but I do like that he has been showing willingness to give the next generation a chance to step up. Zardes and Nagbe both played well in the tune-up games last week, and Christian Pulisic became the youngest American (17) to ever score a goal for the national team. These guys along with Yedlin and Green will need to become leaders soon if the Klinsmann experiment will be allowed to continue through this cycle. We haven't had a young group leading the team since LD and Beasley in 2002, and it's no coincidence that was our best WC finish ever. I love Dempsey, but if a 35 year old striker is still our team and offensive leader next world cup, we will struggle to get out of group play and will certainly not advance farther. The average age of our players on the field is always significantly higher than our competition and that needs to start to change.

As for Copa America, if we want to get out of group play, a result tonight is important. A draw puts us in a good position. Colombia will certainly be the better team and have far and away the best player on the field in James Rodriguez, but they are not unbeatable. I see it as a similar challenge to when we beat drew with Portugal in group play last world cup.

Pre-Historic Man

I'll try to resurrect this thread instead of posting all US Soccer stuff in the current World Cup thread. Copa America kicks off tonight. Klinsmann is surely feeling the heat and has to win over a lot of skeptics (including me at times). Bombing out of the Gold Cup the way we did and then losing the Confederations Cup playoff to Mexico made for a really awful summer last year.

I think Klinsmann still tinkers too much but I do like that he has been showing willingness to give the next generation a chance to step up. Zardes and Nagbe both played well in the tune-up games last week, and Christian Pulisic became the youngest American (17) to ever score a goal for the national team. These guys along with Yedlin and Green will need to become leaders soon if the Klinsmann experiment will be allowed to continue through this cycle. We haven't had a young group leading the team since LD and Beasley in 2002, and it's no coincidence that was our best WC finish ever. I love Dempsey, but if a 35 year old striker is still our team and offensive leader next world cup, we will struggle to get out of group play and will certainly not advance farther. The average age of our players on the field is always significantly higher than our competition and that needs to start to change.

As for Copa America, if we want to get out of group play, a result tonight is important. A draw puts us in a good position. Colombia will certainly be the better team and have far and away the best player on the field in James Rodriguez, but they are not unbeatable. I see it as a similar challenge to when we beat drew with Portugal in group play last world cup.
    Other than Rodriguez who plays for Columbia? Are we with all relevant starters for this game? Where is it being played?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Other than Rodriguez who plays for Columbia? Are we with all relevant starters for this game? Where is it being played?
    This is an interesting site I like to use to compare teams. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spiel...d=184&yt0=Show

You can filter, such as choose a national team like US, then it will list all US players with the estimated transfer values this site gives. It's not perfectly accurate, and the US league is devalued a bit, and to compare transfer value to true competitive value older players are devalued a bit and younger players overvalued a bit, but gives you a general idea of how teams stack up. Anything over 5M pounds would be considered a Champions League level player. Colombia has 14, US has 2.

Stupid fox putting pretty much everything on FS1 and FS2 which means upgrading the TV package.

Come on Fox, get your sports channels on basic!

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    This is an interesting site I like to use to compare teams. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spiel...d=184&yt0=Show

You can filter, such as choose a national team like US, then it will list all US players with the estimated transfer values this site gives. It's not perfectly accurate, and the US league is devalued a bit, and to compare transfer value to true competitive value older players are devalued a bit and younger players overvalued a bit, but gives you a general idea of how teams stack up. Anything over 5M pounds would be considered a Champions League level player. Colombia has 14, US has 2.
    Cool site. It makes sense that Cuadrado and Bacca are 2 and 3 behind Rodriguez. Those three pass and attack very well. Colombia also presses high a lot so I'm hoping our recent switch to a 4-3-3 with Bradley in the defensive midfield where he belongs will help limit costly mistakes possessing the ball in our half.

Well that was some poor defending by Cameron on that corner.

Yeah that didn't take long. Home crowd goes crazy for Columbia.

US looks totally overmatched so far.