The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
    Sorry, that sucks. Boneless can go a lot faster than bone in. But I've had really screwy bonelss cooks also. I hate that pork is so unpredictable. Did you pull them off and wrap at 160? Are they already at the 190-195 range?
    Pork butts are so weird. If I am doing one for company I try to do it well in advance because they're difficult to plan around. They can take forever or go quick. As I have posted before my last two butts were bone in and they were the quickest I have ever done and I haven't changed anything as far as prep and cook temp goes.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
      Sorry, that sucks. Boneless can go a lot faster than bone in. But I've had really screwy bonelss cooks also. I hate that pork is so unpredictable. Did you pull them off and wrap at 160? Are they already at the 190-195 range?

Yeah wrapped them at 160 that was about 3 am. Checked at 5 all were sitting mid 170's. checked at 6:15 3 were at 196-197 and the big one was at 185. Big one came off at 7:30. They should be fine as the Faux Cambro will be about 5 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Pork butts are so weird. If I am doing one for company I try to do it well in advance because they're difficult to plan around. They can take forever or go quick. As I have posted before my last two butts were bone in and they were the quickest I have ever done and I haven't changed anything as far as prep and cook temp goes.
        They are hard to screw up if you give them enough time and they are delish so it makes it worth the aggravation, but they sure can be dicks. Very tough to plan around so I just give myself at least 18 hours every time and plan on getting up in the middle of the night at least once.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Yeah wrapped them at 160 that was about 3 am. Checked at 5 all were sitting mid 170's. checked at 6:15 3 were at 196-197 and the big one was at 185. Big one came off at 7:30. They should be fine as the Faux Cambro will be about 5 hours.
          You will be fine.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That should work out just about perfect.
            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Cowtown by the gallon?!?! I had no idea. My wife already gives me a hard time about how many different bottles of opened sauce I keep in the fridge. I'd like to see her face when I open a gallon-size bottle of Cowtown. BTW, if you like spicier sauce, Oklahoma Joe's makes a hotter version of Cowtown called Night of the Living BBQ. I keep it on hand, but I generally like the milder sauce.
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Yeah, and that gallon was only $18!

Comment

• [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• What time is dinner? Should we take the boat out after?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      What time is dinner? Should we take the boat out after?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately these yahoos ate all 28 lbs and the boat is in the shop.

Comment

• Looks great. How was the flavor, etc?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Unfortunately these yahoos ate all 28 lbs and the boat is in the shop.
                          I feel like you just put me in the friend zone. The same way Cera Hinton did when I was in the 8th grade, we were hanging out a lot and I really thought she liked me. I went to take things a step further and bam she threw me in the to the friend zone.
                          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Looks great. How was the flavor, etc?
                            Best I have done yet, honestly. Really moist, I like that hog rub. Savory. I do wish I could keep the bark a bit more frim, but that seems impossible with the amount of time spent in foil.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              I feel like you just put me in the friend zone. The same way Cera Hinton did when I was in the 8th grade, we were hanging out a lot and I really thought she liked me. I went to take things a step further and bam she threw me in the to the friend zone.

I take my friends out on the boat.

Comment

Best I have done yet, honestly. Really moist, I like that hog rub. Savory. I do wish I could keep the bark a bit more frim, but that seems impossible with the amount of time spent in foil.
                                In the pictures it looks like the bark was not really dark, but it could be just the pictures. Did the butt have a good bark developed before foiling? Do you slather the butt in mustard before applying the rub? This helps in bark formation alot. You can also firm up the bark a bit by not foiling until the FTC stage. I only foil if they are getting too dark. Or you can try using a rub that has sugar in it. Are you wrapping the butts individually or putting in a foil pan and covering? Last tip is to let the meat set for a little bit (10-15 min) unfoiled before pulling. It will give the bark a chance to firm back up a bit. But yeah, with 5-6 hours in foil, it will soften a bit.
                                "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Working...
                                X