No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a butt weekend! I cooked pulled pork for our Fathers and Sons outing on Friday night for 80 people. I did half the meat and smoked a big pan of DT's baked beans. Everything was great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Just for future reference, the 135lbs of raw pork butt I smoked, yielded 68lbs of finished product. So the yield was almost exactly 50%, which is about right for pork butt.
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        Just for future reference, the 135lbs of raw pork butt I smoked, yielded 68lbs of finished product. So the yield was almost exactly 50%, which is about right for pork butt.
        Is that bone in and then bone removed or were these boneless shoulders?
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Bone in, bone removed after smoking.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Im dioing 28lbs of pulled pork for work tomorrow. in anticipation of that these arrived today,

]

and went by thermoworks in Lindon and picked up this,

1130 eat time, what time would you throw the butts on tonight?

Comment

• At 225 I would have already put them on. I've had 18 hour butts. I'm doing two for the 4th. I'm giving myself 20 hours. They rest for a good 4 to 6 hours wrapped in the oven if they get done quickly.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Dang, Coach. Way to go. You are going to love that temp probe.

I agree with CJF. Rub them up and get them on right away. I am assuming you are using the Costco butts. I did pulled pork last weekend and I put them on at 4 am and the were at 190 at 2 pm the next day. Four hours in faux cambro and we served them at 6 pm. You are eating 6.5 hrs earlier so you would want to start them no later than 9:30 pm or so.

BTW, I did three butts last Friday and my buddy did the other three. I foiled at 190 and he foiled at 165 and then kept them at 225 until them hit 190. His final product was more moist than mine. I am going to try it that way next time.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• BTW coach, with those Costco butts I highly recommend using some skewers to hold together the loose ends where they take out the bone. Results in a more moist and consistent butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                    Just for future reference, the 135lbs of raw pork butt I smoked, yielded 68lbs of finished product. So the yield was almost exactly 50%, which is about right for pork butt.
                    What do yall do with all of those drippings? Are they too salty to use?
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      At 225 I would have already put them on. I've had 18 hour butts. I'm doing two for the 4th. I'm giving myself 20 hours. They rest for a good 4 to 6 hours wrapped in the oven if they get done quickly.
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Dang, Coach. Way to go. You are going to love that temp probe.

I agree with CJF. Rub them up and get them on right away. I am assuming you are using the Costco butts. I did pulled pork last weekend and I put them on at 4 am and the were at 190 at 2 pm the next day. Four hours in faux cambro and we served them at 6 pm. You are eating 6.5 hrs earlier so you would want to start them no later than 9:30 pm or so.

BTW, I did three butts last Friday and my buddy did the other three. I foiled at 190 and he foiled at 165 and then kept them at 225 until them hit 190. His final product was more moist than mine. I am going to try it that way next time.

Thanks guys, I put them on at 8 and plan on wrapping at 160 or so. Using the Co butts and closed up those loose ends.

also, thermoworks has a new model that is Bluetooth and Feeds temps to your phones. They were out of stock so I had to go with the standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        What do yall do with all of those drippings? Are they too salty to use?
                        The drippings are 100% fat that has rendered off. Sometimes I'll put a pan of beans under a pork butt and let the drippings fall into the beans. Other than that, not much use for them. I ended up with half of a full size hotel pan of fat off those.

Comment

• Well, they are all wrapped now. This overnight cooking is for sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            Well, they are all wrapped now. This overnight cooking is for sucks.
                            Good morning! Don't forget to post some pics. How do you like the Cowtown sauce? I have heard a lot of good things about it and was going to order some to try out.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              Good morning! Don't forget to post some pics. How do you like the Cowtown sauce? I have heard a lot of good things about it and was going to order some to try out.
                              I love the cowtown. great flavor and cheap!

3 of 4 (thanks thermapen!) are in the oven at 175. They are going to have to hold a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                                I love the cowtown. great flavor and cheap!

3 of 4 (thanks thermapen!) are in the oven at 175. They are going to have to hold a while.
                                Sorry, that sucks. Boneless can go a lot faster than bone in. But I've had really screwy bonelss cooks also. I hate that pork is so unpredictable. Did you pull them off and wrap at 160? Are they already at the 190-195 range?

Comment

Working...
                                X