The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Meh, just use your favorite rub. You will be fine.

Or you could buy a bottle of this:

http://www.buttrub.com/
    I'm 99% sure I bought some of that and forgot I had it. Sweet!!!!

Comment

Isn't this in the wrong forum?
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I'm 99% sure I bought some of that and forgot I had it. Sweet!!!!
        I clicked on the link and noticed that they sell it at a place in Orem that specializes in the sale of spas and saunas.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I clicked on the link and noticed that they sell it at a place in Orem that specializes in the sale of spas and saunas.
          Bullfrog Spas. That is where I bought my Traeger. They sell BGE and other grilling/smoking units also.

I bought a big bottle of Butt Rub there once.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Aight, here's what I do for a nice brown butt....

I buy my butts with the bone still in since it's a lot of fun to pull the pork in front of the guests and pulling out a clean bone from the butt always gets a couple "wows" and "gasps" from the guests. I don't trim my butts because the ones I get (local butcher or Costco) are usually prefectly trimmed and ready to go. They obviously don't have a fat cap like a brisket.

For the rub I mix the following (modified from the VWB website):
            1/8 cup ground black pepper
            1/4 cup paprika
            1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
            2 Tablespoons table salt
            1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For the sop I mix the following over low heat:
            2 cups apple cider vinegar
            1 cup water
            3 Tablespoons ground black pepper
            2 Tablespoons table salt
            2 Tablespoons Turbinado sugar
            1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
            1 Tablespoon paprika
            1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
            Any left over rub

I do prefer the turbinado sugar as I think it holds up better in the smoker and gives a sweet pork, but which I'd attest to the higher heat threshold, however Jeff is probably right that it doesn't make a difference. Brown sugar would be my #2 choice and I'd likely never use white sugar. FTR, turbinado sugar is excellent for ribs that you are going to finish on a grill as it will make a difference with the higher heat.

Put a thin layer of mustard all over the butt and then put a generous amount of rub on it. If you want to inject some of the sop into the butt go ahead and do that now. I like to inject but don't always.

I plan about 16 hours for the smoke. My Weber Bullet can usually go 16 hours on one ring of briquets unless it is abnormally cold outside. The smoke usually ends up lasting 12-14 hours but I plan 16 just to be safe and since I can hold a smoked piece of meat in the cooler for up to 5 hours, finishing early is not an issue.

Anyway, put the butt on the rack in the smoker and let it go for about 8 hours. Then sop the butt every hour until it is done. The sop will smell like vinegar, but the vinegar taste won't come through and it'll just leave a good tangy flavor.

I like to pull the butt when it gets around 190 degrees. You have to be careful with a bone in the butt since it can mess up temperature readings. Make sure to probe the butt a couple times in several different places to get an accurate reading. I find that 185 is cooked enough to pull, but I prefer 190. I don't wrap the butt in foil since I like to sop it through to the end.

Once the butt is pulled I'll then wrap it in foil and let it rest in a cooler or oven to hold until I pull the pork. I prefer to serve on toasted rolls or buns, a bit of mayonnaise on the bun, slaw on top of the pork and a bit of sweet BBQ sauce (I like Rudy's sissy sauce for pork).
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              Isn't this in the wrong forum?
              JL likes to start all his BBQ threads in the Back Fence. It's almost like he doesn't think they are worthy of the Diner.
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

I've cooked 90 lbs of Boston Butt this week, and I've serving it tonight at a party at Coker. I've got 6 different sauces to try. I just use kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and granulated garlic when I'm doing bulk cooking. When it's me at home, I get fancier. I'll post some photos later.

225F in my roasting ovens for eight hours.

LOL @Moliere getting oohs and ahs from Texans marveling at clean bones. That's what proper BBQ (read: PORK) does.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  LOL @Moliere getting oohs and ahs from Texans marveling at clean bones. That's what proper BBQ (read: PORK) does.

My guests are usually Utah Mormon transplants. They still think BBQ is when you burn store bought hamburger patties on a propane grill.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    JL likes to start all his BBQ threads in the Back Fence. It's almost like he doesn't think they are worthy of the Diner.
                    Oops. Fixed.

What other threads did I start in the wrong place? I need you guys to keep me in line.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Oops. Fixed.

What other threads did I start in the wrong place? I need you guys to keep me in line.
                      Never mind. I found them. Lots of them.

Comment

Meh, just use your favorite rub. You will be fine.

Or you could buy a bottle of this:

http://www.buttrub.com/
                        I use this almost exclusively. It is a great rub, although some say it is a little heavy on the salt. I have never had any complaints.
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                          I use this almost exclusively. It is a great rub, although some say it is a little heavy on the salt. I have never had any complaints.
                          My favorite commercial rub. But I find it has a little more kick than some people are comfortable with so I am selective when I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            I've had hushpuppies. They are usually round. I don't recall eating any penis shaped hushpuppies. You may want to verify.
                            Round hushpuppies. Redcoat.
                            I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Soooooo, how do you pull the pork? Is there an approved method or do you just rip it apart?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Soooooo, how do you pull the pork? Is there an approved method or do you just rip it apart?
                                I yank the bone and remove the visable fat. Then with two forks I just pull it apart. If done right it should just fall apart.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X