The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
    What shld I expect to pay for quality pork shoulder?

My local highend grocery butcher just charged me $6.99 per lb - feeling like I got pork raped.
    Without vaseline.

I think the ones at Costco ar $1.79 / lb. And that's boneless.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      Without vaseline.

I think the ones at Costco ar $1.79 / lb. And that's boneless.

Hell. Yeah, Costco was my second less convenient option.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

• Pork tacos were unreal. The homemade corn tortillas, pulled pork, and CJF garnish were awesome. I would have posted pictures, but I have had no desire to be on CUF since I blacked out Saturday night.
        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
          Pork tacos were unreal. The homemade corn tortillas, pulled pork, and CJF garnish were awesome. I would have posted pictures, but I have had no desire to be on CUF since I blacked out Saturday night.
          I have not heard of this before; what am I missing?
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            I have not heard of this before; what am I missing?
            A few pages back, CJF posted a picture of his pork tacos. I asked him what he garnished with: chopped onion/cilantro/lime juice. It was tasty. I also topped with cabbage and ranchito sauce (California Pizza Kitchen recipe).
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              A few pages back, CJF posted a picture of his pork tacos. I asked him what he garnished with: chopped onion/cilantro/lime juice. It was tasty. I also topped with cabbage and ranchito sauce (California Pizza Kitchen recipe).
              Found it; thanks. I'll have to try it the next time we smoke some pork.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                Found it; thanks. I'll have to try it the next time we smoke some pork.
                You can certainly add to it. I usually put a dash of cumin, garlic, and lately have been adding a finely diced jalapeño and/or serrano pepper to the mix. Awesome on brisket enchiladas also.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• I have been reading this thread over and over again this week for tips. Going to smoke a pork butt this Sunday. I think I am going to go with Byron's Butt Rub and use the injection/mop that CJF posted at the start of this thread. In the words of Bart Scott, "Can't Wait".

Thanks for all the tips and advice throughout these thread. The details of how to do all of this is a huge help.

I love this smoker. Hands down the best cooking investment I have made.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

• I've never tried injection. I wonder if it is worth it. Seems like the pork is ab-fab without it. Mop is great but "mop" with a spray bottle, not a brush. If you brush, you often mess up the bark a little in the process.

Also, if you smoke two costco butts, be prepared for a load of food.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      I've never tried injection. I wonder if it is worth it. Seems like the pork is ab-fab without it. Mop is great but "mop" with a spray bottle, not a brush. If you brush, you often mess up the bark a little in the process.

Also, if you smoke two costco butts, be prepared for a load of food.
                      Thanks for this note. I don't want to mess up the bark. That is my favorite part of the meat. I will probably only smoke one butt and freeze the other for a later date. Two butts would be way too much food for even left overs.
                      Last edited by Hot Lunch; 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                        Thanks for this note. I don't want to mess up the bark. That is my favorite part of the meat. I will probably only smoke one butt and freeze the other for a later date. Two butts would be way too much food for even left overs.
                        I would suggest smoking both and then freezing the pulled meat. No reason to burn twice the pellets for the same amount of meat. Also, you can drop in the individually vacuum-sealed bags in hot water and be done in no time flat.
                        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                          I would suggest smoking both and then freezing the pulled meat. No reason to burn twice the pellets for the same amount of meat. Also, you can drop in the individually vacuum-sealed bags in hot water and be done in no time flat.
                          Amen.

Comment

• So, tomorrow, for Brazentina Night at Coker College, I'm cooking a full Argentina Parrillada with 7 whole packer briskets, 2 boston butts, 100 chicken legs, about 20 lbs of Thad Weinberg's fresh pork sausage links, a pork loin, 2 USDA Choice beef tenderloins, 2 USDA Choice boneless ribeyes, 1 lamb leg, and three crockpots full of Brazilian feijoada. The only thing I couldn't get was a goat and I couldn't find blood sausage.

I'm also turning 2 cases of parsley into chimichurri tonight. Busy, busy, busy, but tons of fun.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              I've never experienced any problems with bark because of mopping. You don't start mopping until you're at about 165 degrees. By that point your bark is set. Just use one of those silicone bushes and dab it on the meat. Your bark will only improve.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Sounds awesome, wuap. How are you cooking all of this and where? Take some pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X