Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Yes, it is really that easy.

I wouldn't poke it a bunch. Trust your Maverick probe and only use the pen mid-cook if something seems out of whack. Use the thermapen at the end to confirm before you pull off the smoker.

Also, I let the shoulders rest for 3 hours last time. I think next time I will only do 2 hours.

You can never have enough butt rub. works great for ribs, shoulders, MOINKs, and pretty much anything else that calls for rub.

Which smoker did you wind up buying? did you get frogmats?
    So rest the meat for 2 hours?

I should be picking up a Texas unless someone convinces me otherwise over the next 48 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
      So should I be frightened?

Going with the Costco two pack.

One I'll use Buttrub (bought the 24 oz bottle, no idea if that's way too much rub)

One I'll use AB's brine plus rub recipe.

This almost seems too easy....

Open pack
      Rub meat
      Start smoker
      Insert therm
      Check with pen until it hits 190
      Into oven for a couple of hours
      Out to rest for 30 mins
      Pull with forks
      Sprinkle with juice in Pam
      Eat my face off

Is it really that easy?
      Pretty much, but on the 190˚, When it hits that temp I then stick a fork in the middle and try and twist the fork 90˚, If I can with ease, then I pull it off, if I get resistance I'll let it hit 195˚ and try again.

You are going to need waaaaaaaaaaaay more people than you eating their faces off to eat all that pork.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
        Pretty much, but on the 190˚, When it hits that temp I then stick a fork in the middle and try and twist the fork 90˚, If I can with ease, then I pull it off, if I get resistance I'll let it hit 195˚ and try again.

You are going to need waaaaaaaaaaaay more people than you eating their faces off to eat all that pork.
        How many does that feed?

Its a guinea pig run so Im only cooking for me and the wife.

If its good I'd figure I have 10 people I could give food to, still too much meat?

Comment

• Maybe I only go one shoulder?

I was looking forward to seeing the side by side comparison of both for taste testing purposes.

Comment

Maybe I only go one shoulder?

I was looking forward to seeing the side by side comparison of both for taste testing purposes.

Do both, for sure. Just know that you will be eating pork tacos and pulled pork nachos for a few days.

2 costco butts can feed 20 people pretty easily.

Comment

So should I be frightened?

This almost seems too easy....

Is it really that easy?
              The big "secret" about BBQ is that it really is that easy. Low and slow and its hard to screw it up.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

How many does that feed?

Its a guinea pig run so Im only cooking for me and the wife.
                I made two shoulders a few weeks ago. 9 adults and about 10 kids for full dinner. We ate about half of the pork.

make both at the same time because you can always freeze it. more cost effective because that is a lot of pellets to burn for only one shoulder.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• I want to do pulled pork for my guys at work. I have (35) Carpenters to feed and about (6) other Superintendents. Is it safe to say it would take (4) shoulders?
                  I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    I want to do pulled pork for my guys at work. I have (35) Carpenters to feed and about (6) other Superintendents. Is it safe to say it would take (4) shoulders?
                    When cooking for a crowd you normally would figure 1/3 lb per person cooked. If they are big eaters, figure 1/2 lb per person. Cooked weight is approx 50% of uncooked weight. In your case, I would figure 1/2 lb each since most construction crews I know can eat alot. 41 guys x .5 lbs of PP= 20.5 lbs cooked meat. So four 10 lb butts would be just enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      When cooking for a crowd you normally would figure 1/3 lb per person cooked. If they are big eaters, figure 1/2 lb per person. Cooked weight is approx 50% of uncooked weight. In your case, I would figure 1/2 lb each since most construction crews I know can eat alot. 41 guys x .5 lbs of PP= 20.5 lbs cooked meat. So four 10 lb butts would be just enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      The BBQ Godfather has spoken!

Perfect. Thank you.
                      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Costco had two boneless types:

Two pack in the thick plastic

Single in your typical butcher wrapping

I went with the two pack, 1.79 a lb.

Comment

• Just dropped two shoulders in the smoker.

Buttrub and refrigerated one
                          Brined the other with a homemade rub (Alton Briwn recipe)

I'll be sleeping so no mop after 4 hours but I'll be up in 6.5 and I'll start a spray mop.

I'm enjoying myself.

Comment

• I'm 9 hours in and at 181, do I need to crank the heat?

Comment

I'm 9 hours in and at 181, do I need to crank the heat?

nope. just wait it out.

Comment

• So I made a beginners mistake, I had the Mav in one and checked with my pen the SAME shoulder during cooking.

It hit 190 and pulled, thought hey I should check the other, 200.....yikes.

The brined shoulder took forever to hit 190, wonder if the brine slows the process down.

They both are in the oven at 170.

Hopefully they taste ok and aren't dried out like a shoe.

They smell amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X