The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
    Damn. DDD throwing it down! I have been inspired to try my first pulled pork.

Pork tacos for dinner?
    We had pork tacos last night for dinner. They were a huge hit. As of today, it is all gone.

Next weekend I am going for spatchcock chicken, I think. Try some brine recipes.

One thing I have noticed already is that even though the meat comes out tasting delicious, there are little things that you want to try differently next time. I am thinking that next time, I will want to FTC/oven for maybe 2 hours, not 3+. Not sure it will matter, but want to see what that does.

Also, my smoke palate is unrefined because I can't really tell the difference between apple and mesquite and whatnot. It all tastes smokey and nice, but I don't have enough experience yet to notice the nuances of different wood.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I don't have enough experience yet to notice the nuances of different wood.
      Signature quote!
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Way to go, DDD. Looks great.

Nice to see another Raspberry Chipotle sauce fan. I assume you buy it at Costco. We love the Blueberry Chipotle flavor but our Costco does not carry that anymore so we buy it online. Where do you get yours?

Was your pork moist? Looks a little on the dry side but maybe that is the photo. One thing I like to do is pour the juice from the pan over the pork after pulling to help keep it moist. And of course, some parts of the roast tend to maintain moisture better than others.

As for the wood flavors, I used to think they were all the same also. You will pick up on that pretty quickly.l
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Looks yummy DDD. Nice job on the BBQ. I'll echo that being busy and running around is actually a lot of fun when it comes to BBQing.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I have been inspired. I'm going to make MOINK balls this weekend. Very nice job, DDD. Very strong start right out of the gate. I am looking forward to your spatchcock chicken experience.

Where did you get the apple BBQ sauces? I've picked up the raspberry chipotle at Harmon's. Good stuff, but I would never had thought of putting it on ABTs. Looks great.
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Way to go, DDD. Looks great.

Nice to see another Raspberry Chipotle sauce fan. I assume you buy it at Costco. We love the Blueberry Chipotle flavor but our Costco does not carry that anymore so we buy it online. Where do you get yours?

Was your pork moist? Looks a little on the dry side but maybe that is the photo. One thing I like to do is pour the juice from the pan over the pork after pulling to help keep it moist. And of course, some parts of the roast tend to maintain moisture better than others.

As for the wood flavors, I used to think they were all the same also. You will pick up on that pretty quickly.l
              Pork was great. I remembered all the advice in this thread and poured the goo on the pork right before serving. You are right though...I felt like the shoulders could have been a little more moist. They tasted great but next time I think I want to try oven for 2 hrs at 170. For some reason I felt like the shoulders had to stay in the oven for at least 3 hours.

Leftover pork was extremely moist. I assume it is because the leftovers are sitting in congealed fat and goo for 24 hrs.

I bought the raspberry chipotle at the grocery store. I didnt even know the Co sold it. At the grocery store, about $7.50 a bottle. They also sell the blueberry and a pomegranate mango. MMM absolutely loved the raspberry so I think some form or another of this fruity sauce will enter the rotation. I really like the smoky apple (different brand), as well.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                I have been inspired. I'm going to make MOINK balls this weekend. Very nice job, DDD. Very strong start right out of the gate. I am looking forward to your spatchcock chicken experience.

Where did you get the apple BBQ sauces? I've picked up the raspberry chipotle at Harmon's. Good stuff, but I would never had thought of putting it on ABTs. Looks great.
                I bought the smoky apple at Sur la Table in the Gateway (right across the street from the Apple store, at the base of the escalators). The same guy also sells a chipotle molasses and a cabernet bbq, both of which sound really interesting. The cab might be a really good pairing with red meat....maybe a tri tip, for example. yum!

sigpic

Comment

I had that baby in my back pocket for a long time. I am considering a new meme on the board with a finger test for any and all foods.
                  Could you trim your mid-digit hair first?
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

• DDD,

Everything looks great! Seriously great job! Soon you wont want to eat at any local bbq joints because their food pales in comparison to what you can make at home. LOL @ the finger test!
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

I bought the raspberry chipotle at the grocery store. I didnt even know the Co sold it. At the grocery store, about $7.50 a bottle. They also sell the blueberry and a pomegranate mango. MMM absolutely loved the raspberry so I think some form or another of this fruity sauce will enter the rotation. I really like the smoky apple (different brand), as well.
                      Yes, Costco sells it in big bottles. Can't recall the price. For a while they carried blackberry and blueberry but now they just carry the raspberry.

So what grocery store are you referring to? Come on, man. Spill.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Yes, Costco sells it in big bottles. Can't recall the price. For a while they carried blackberry and blueberry but now they just carry the raspberry.

So what grocery store are you referring to? Come on, man. Spill.
                        Kohler's in Highland. sorry, didnt mean to be cryptic.

sigpic

Comment

Kohler's in Highland. sorry, didnt mean to be cryptic.
                          Harmon's sells it also.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Harmon's sells it also.
                            I haven't noticed it at the Orem Harmons. Where is it typically stocked?

Comment

I haven't noticed it at the Orem Harmons. Where is it typically stocked?
                              The one in Farmington has an aisle with many different sauces and dressings. I used it for wings about a year ago. Very tasty.

Comment

Forgot to respond to this. One of my favorite sauces is Cowtown Sauce from Kansas City. I first tried it at Oklahoma Joe's in KC based on KCCougar's recommendation. I order it online here:

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/oj/in...=index&cPath=1

I have an extra bottle you can try if you want to swing by sometime this week. You might want to try it before you order a box.

As for the more common and easily accessible brands, I like the following:

KC Masterpiece - original
                                Famous Dave's - Sweet and Zesty
                                Sweet Baby Ray's

I do not like Stubb's. Yuck.
                                FYI, I was at World Market tonight buying some patio furniture (and assorted beverages) and what to my wondering eyes did appear but bottles of Oklahoma Joe's Cowtown AND Night of the Living BBQ sauces AND Cowtown pork rub on the shelves.

I was floored, but recovered quickly and bought the two bottles of Cowtown they had left as well as a bottle of rub, which I've never tried before. This was the Fort Union location - maybe other locations are also carrying it.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X