Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

Hey DT, is that your new Thermoworks temp probe?
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Also am I the only one who didn't know there is a gland you're supposed to remove from the pork shoulder. I attended a sausage making class at our local butcher and he showed us how to prep a shoulder. On the neck side there is a small gland about the size of a jelly bean that should be cut out. It won't kill you, but it will be an unfortunate tasting bite for whoever gets it.
    I did not know this. Where is it located?
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    I did not know this. Where is it located?
    Here's a thread about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=gland

It's the side opposite the bone in the middle. You have to cut down about an inch or two to find it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Here's a thread about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=gland

It's the side opposite the bone in the middle. You have to cut down about an inch or two to find it.
    I am assuming these are pre-removed from the Costco boneless butts?
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am assuming these are pre-removed from the Costco boneless butts?
    Not sure. I asked the butcher that very question. The bigger one in that picture most likely, but the smaller one he said probably not. Next time I do one I am looking for it though.
    -Turtle

Hey DT, is that your new Thermoworks temp probe?
    Yep. Love it!
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Question. Went to pick up pork butts today bit the Co' only has the boneless variety. Is there much of a difference between boneless and bone-in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Question. Went to pick up pork butts today bit the Co' only has the boneless variety. Is there much of a difference between boneless and bone-in?
    One has a bone and the other doesn't

I kid! The bone in will take longer to cook.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

The 4-5 I've done have all been boneless and turned out fine.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Baldy's BBQ in Bend, OR. Pulled pork fail. Not a hint of smoke taste. I think it's probably just slow cooked.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

You need to read the thread more carefully! That is always what Costco sells. They turn out great.

You need to read the thread more carefully! That is always what Costco sells. They turn out great.
    I was on the road and in a hurry. I knew you guys would come through for me in a hurry. Thanks folks. Four shoulders will go in the smoker at 3 a.m. Sunday morning and will feed the masses during the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    Baldy's BBQ in Bend, OR. Pulled pork fail. Not a hint of smoke taste. I think it's probably just slow cooked.
    Did they let you feed yourself or does someone do that for you up there?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I was on the road and in a hurry. I knew you guys would come through for me in a hurry. Thanks folks. Four shoulders will go in the smoker at 3 a.m. Sunday morning and will feed the masses during the SB.
    You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.
    Last year I put them in around 1 a.m. and they were done at 10. Freaked me out that they cooked so fast.

Being boneless, that should plenty of time. Bone in, I agree. It would be risky.

Last year I put them in around 1 a.m. and they were done at 10. Freaked me out that they cooked so fast.
    That is fast. What temp are you doing them at? It took me 14 hours to smoke two shoulders the other week.
    -Turtle

I did things slightly different this year and want to chronicle my method here.

Four boneless shoulders from Costco. All were injected with a mixture of the following ingredients:

Apple Juice
    Cosmos Pork Injection
    Granulated Garlic
    Turbinado Sugar
    Brown Suger

Heated on stove until all ingredients combined and injection thickened a bit. Smelled quite nice.

I then rubbed olive oil all over the shoulders and rubbed with the following:

Butt Rub
    Brown Sugar
    Turbinado Sugar

The ingredients were combined and then liberally rubbed all over the beat including the crevices. I then wrapped the shoulders tightly in foil to keep the juices and rub in place. They will sit in a cooler in the garage until I put them on the smoker sometime after midnight.

Turbinado Sugar.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I will not lie. You people are the meaning in my life, you're the inspiration.

I did things slightly different this year and want to chronicle my method here.

Four boneless shoulders from Costco. All were injected with a mixture of the following ingredients:

Apple Juice
    Cosmos Pork Injection
    Granulated Garlic
    Turbinado Sugar
    Brown Suger

Heated on stove until all ingredients combined and injection thickened a bit. Smelled quite nice.

I then rubbed olive oil all over the shoulders and rubbed with the following:

Butt Rub
    Brown Sugar
    Turbinado Sugar

The ingredients were combined and then liberally rubbed all over the beat including the crevices. I then wrapped the shoulders tightly in foil to keep the juices and rub in place. They will sit in a cooler in the garage until I put them on the smoker sometime after midnight.
    Sounds great. Can you estimate proportions for the rub/sugar combo? Please report results too.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

So I've been checking temps every hour, so far so good. Oh, except something just happened in te last 15 minutes, I changed nothing. My temp was 580 degreaser and there shoulders are on fire. So no pork this year.

Edit: I shut everything down and tried to restart the smoker, on the "smoke" setting it jumped to 350 degrees in about 2 minutes. The internal temp at last check before the heat wave was 160, so I have pulled the shoulders and put them in a roaster in the oven at 200. Maybe it can be salvaged.
    Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 02-03-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Huh? I don't get it. What happened?

Huh? I don't get it. What happened?
    I am assuming my temp controller went haywire or something, I have no idea. One minute were are cruising along at 225-235, about 30 minutes later ldc says "is it supposed to be smoking that much?" I run outside and it says 580 on the display and there is fire inside. I unplug and get everything calmed down, the fire is gone, the meat is a little singed on the bark, so I decide to try again. Turn the unit on to the lowest setting and in about 3 minutes the temp is in the high 300s and starting to fire again.

Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I am assuming my temp controller went haywire or something, I have no idea. One minute were are cruising along at 225-235, about 30 minutes later ldc says "is it supposed to be smoking that much?" I run outside and it says 580 on the display and there is fire inside. I unplug and get everything calmed down, the fire is gone, the meat is a little singed on the bark, so I decide to try again. Turn the unit on to the lowest setting and in about 3 minutes the temp is in the high 300s and starting to fire again.

Yikes.

When was the last time you cleaned out the firepot?

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Sounds great. Can you estimate proportions for the rub/sugar combo? Please report results too.
    I'd say about four cups of apple juice
    One cup water
    half cup of brown sugar
    10 tbsp of turbinado sugar
    1 tblsp granulated garlic
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tsp pepper.

I also threw in a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Mostly I just add until I like the taste.

Yikes.

When was the last time you cleaned out the firepot?
    That's the culprit, I believe. I haven't used it since Xmas eve and had just forgotten to do it.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

This year I put the shoulders in at 1:30 a.m. All of them were out of the smoker by 11:30.

This year I put the shoulders in at 1:30 a.m. All of them were out of the smoker by 11:30.
    Holy cow. Or pork, whatever. I've not had pork shoulders cook that fast, so good for you. What temp did you cook them at?

Holy cow. Or pork, whatever. I've not had pork shoulders cook that fast, so good for you. What temp did you cook them at?
    225 on the Trager. The digital readout is around 250. I'm reasonably sure that the temps are probably off but that what works on my grill.

Once again many people told me it was the best pulled pork they had ever had. That compliment is really a tip of the cap to you folks who have mentored and traded recipes.