Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

ha ok fair enough. most of the shoulders ive seen (non-medicinal situations, of course) are cubic when packed that way. However i will say that the one in the pic seems awfully small, unless your hands are very large. Your hands, your mighty hands!!!!

I notice that the roast is dated Apri 2014.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    ha ok fair enough. most of the shoulders ive seen (non-medicinal situations, of course) are cubic when packed that way. However i will say that the one in the pic seems awfully small, unless your hands are very large. Your hands, your mighty hands!!!!

I notice that the roast is dated Apri 2014.
    Really? I guess I don't have to eat it, but i figured if it's frozen, it's ok, no?
    How about the other questions? Ok to eat three days out? Should she freeze it and then reheat or just store in the fridge?

Maybe I'm glad I'll be out of town.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Really? I guess I don't have to eat it, but i figured if it's frozen, it's ok, no?
    How about the other questions? Ok to eat three days out? Should she freeze it and then reheat or just store in the fridge?

Maybe I'm glad I'll be out of town.
    oh i forgot that little factoid. frozen is cool, my bad.

You can eat three days out with little problem. not much different than leftovers a few days after a cook. Three days is probably too short a time to freeze and thaw but no reason why you cant.

Sounds like these folks are not picky so pretty much anything you do will likely be a big hit with them. dont stress about it.

Looks like there is more fat/connective tissue than I would expect for pork loin. I would smoke it as if it were a butt, despite it's puniness. Refrigerating for 3 days should be fine.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

It's hard to tell with the frost and plastic wrap, but I've seen center-cut loin roasts that look a lot like that.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Grillmaster Extraordinair Drunk Tank's Avatar

My guess is a small shoulder or a center cut loin roast. Lots of fat, should smoke just fine. If they are organic, pastured pigs, they will not be as big as the huge farm raised beasts we are all familiar with. As for serving three days later, I would pull it, vac seal it and rapidly cool it in an ice bath (after it is sealed of course) then reheat in simmering water the day of the event.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

So here I am, four hours into a cook at 260.

Internal temp is in the 150s, but two of them are probing like completely done shoulders, so I'm tempted to pull them. I still can't tell if they're shoulders! At the edge I can see a thin hint of a bone, but too thin to be a scapula, I think. And if it's a loin roast, I'm reading online that it can be pulled at 145. Ugh.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

And you call yourself a doctor. smh.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

they look good at least!

What do you mean, too thin to be a scapula? The scapula is one of the thinnest bones already!!!
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

So here I am, four hours into a cook at 260.

Internal temp is in the 150s, but two of them are probing like completely done shoulders, so I'm tempted to pull them. I still can't tell if they're shoulders! At the edge I can see a thin hint of a bone, but too thin to be a scapula, I think. And if it's a loin roast, I'm reading online that it can be pulled at 145. Ugh.
    lol. Kind of late to be still figuring it out, eh?

The photos (pre-cook) you showed indicated some fat content. That being the case, you should be safe doing the low-and-slow traditional BBQ method. If I were you, I would foil them once they hit 160 or so and then cook at 225 until they are 195. Then let them sit for a few hours in faux cambro. Should be tender and delish.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Ok, ok, unemployed comedians. Yes, I pulled one apart a little and yes, I now think they're all shoulders and yeah, I feel a little stupid. A few things were throwing me off. One, there were four of them, and I swear she told me this was a single pig (I just texted her to find out for sure). Two, I've always gotten them from the same place and the bone was always pretty obvious. Three, they were only partially thawed this morning so I couldn't really pull the meat back to check.

Carry on with the mocking.
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

A little more obviously shoulders now...
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Look at the size of those scapulae!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

ER has been messing with us. He has beef ribs on a Weber Smokey Joe.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Default The Pulled Pork Thread

Ok, ok, unemployed comedians. Yes, I pulled one apart a little and yes, I now think they're all shoulders and yeah, I feel a little stupid. A few things were throwing me off. One, there were four of them, and I swear she told me this was a single pig (I just texted her to find out for sure). Two, I've always gotten them from the same place and the bone was always pretty obvious. Three, they were only partially thawed this morning so I couldn't really pull the meat back to check.

Carry on with the mocking.
    There are 4 shoulder roasts per animal. The Boston Butt and the Picnic.

Like I said earlier, organic fed animals are usually smaller than normal, or maybe they are the size they should be, and the ones we normally buy are bulked out on steroids.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    Like I said earlier, organic fed animals are usually smaller than normal, or maybe they are the size they should be, and the ones we normally buy are bulked out on steroids.
    Yeah, they were just small, I think.
    On the other hand, that meat was amazing--best pork I've ever had anywhere. I'd like to say it was the smoker, but it wasn't. I was trying to get rid of a bunch of extra rubs i had around, one of which was some I'd made like a year ago, so I wasn't expecting much, but wow...I couldn't stop sampling. She's been offering to sell me pork or beef for a while, but i usually don't buy into the no GMO feed and organic stuff, so I've never taken her up on it. I'm still not sure I buy into it, but she's doing something right.
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Yeah, they were just small, I think.
    On the other hand, that meat was amazing--best pork I've ever had anywhere. I'd like to say it was the smoker, but it wasn't. I was trying to get rid of a bunch of extra rubs i had around, one of which was some I'd made like a year ago, so I wasn't expecting much, but wow...I couldn't stop sampling. She's been offering to sell me pork or beef for a while, but i usually don't buy into the no GMO feed and organic stuff, so I've never taken her up on it. I'm still not sure I buy into it, but she's doing something right.
    That's awesome it turned out so well. Congrats! I started the paleo diet about 3 weeks ago and everything I've read suggests eating only non GMO grass fed organic meats. Personally, I am not a big fan of grass fed and finished beef, but I hear pastured organic pork is supposed to be great.