No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey DT, is that your new Thermoworks temp probe?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      Also am I the only one who didn't know there is a gland you're supposed to remove from the pork shoulder. I attended a sausage making class at our local butcher and he showed us how to prep a shoulder. On the neck side there is a small gland about the size of a jelly bean that should be cut out. It won't kill you, but it will be an unfortunate tasting bite for whoever gets it.
      I did not know this. Where is it located?
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
        I did not know this. Where is it located?
        Here's a thread about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=gland

It's the side opposite the bone in the middle. You have to cut down about an inch or two to find it.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          Here's a thread about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=gland

It's the side opposite the bone in the middle. You have to cut down about an inch or two to find it.
          I am assuming these are pre-removed from the Costco boneless butts?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I am assuming these are pre-removed from the Costco boneless butts?
            Not sure. I asked the butcher that very question. The bigger one in that picture most likely, but the smaller one he said probably not. Next time I do one I am looking for it though.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Hey DT, is that your new Thermoworks temp probe?
              Yep. Love it!
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Question. Went to pick up pork butts today bit the Co' only has the boneless variety. Is there much of a difference between boneless and bone-in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Question. Went to pick up pork butts today bit the Co' only has the boneless variety. Is there much of a difference between boneless and bone-in?
                  One has a bone and the other doesn't

I kid! The bone in will take longer to cook.
                  I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Question. Went to pick up pork butts today bit the Co' only has the boneless variety. Is there much of a difference between boneless and bone-in?
                    The 4-5 I've done have all been boneless and turned out fine.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Baldy's BBQ in Bend, OR. Pulled pork fail. Not a hint of smoke taste. I think it's probably just slow cooked.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

You need to read the thread more carefully! That is always what Costco sells. They turn out great.

Comment

You need to read the thread more carefully! That is always what Costco sells. They turn out great.
                          I was on the road and in a hurry. I knew you guys would come through for me in a hurry. Thanks folks. Four shoulders will go in the smoker at 3 a.m. Sunday morning and will feed the masses during the SB.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            Baldy's BBQ in Bend, OR. Pulled pork fail. Not a hint of smoke taste. I think it's probably just slow cooked.
                            Did they let you feed yourself or does someone do that for you up there?
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I was on the road and in a hurry. I knew you guys would come through for me in a hurry. Thanks folks. Four shoulders will go in the smoker at 3 a.m. Sunday morning and will feed the masses during the SB.
                              You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                                You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.
                                Last year I put them in around 1 a.m. and they were done at 10. Freaked me out that they cooked so fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X