The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
    You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.
    Being boneless, that should plenty of time. Bone in, I agree. It would be risky.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      Last year I put them in around 1 a.m. and they were done at 10. Freaked me out that they cooked so fast.
      That is fast. What temp are you doing them at? It took me 14 hours to smoke two shoulders the other week.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• I did things slightly different this year and want to chronicle my method here.

Four boneless shoulders from Costco. All were injected with a mixture of the following ingredients:

Apple Juice
        Cosmos Pork Injection
        Granulated Garlic
        Turbinado Sugar
        Brown Suger

Heated on stove until all ingredients combined and injection thickened a bit. Smelled quite nice.

I then rubbed olive oil all over the shoulders and rubbed with the following:

Butt Rub
        Brown Sugar
        Turbinado Sugar

The ingredients were combined and then liberally rubbed all over the beat including the crevices. I then wrapped the shoulders tightly in foil to keep the juices and rub in place. They will sit in a cooler in the garage until I put them on the smoker sometime after midnight.

Comment

Turbinado Sugar.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I will not lie. You people are the meaning in my life, you're the inspiration.

Comment

I did things slightly different this year and want to chronicle my method here.

Four boneless shoulders from Costco. All were injected with a mixture of the following ingredients:

Apple Juice
              Cosmos Pork Injection
              Granulated Garlic
              Turbinado Sugar
              Brown Suger

Heated on stove until all ingredients combined and injection thickened a bit. Smelled quite nice.

I then rubbed olive oil all over the shoulders and rubbed with the following:

Butt Rub
              Brown Sugar
              Turbinado Sugar

The ingredients were combined and then liberally rubbed all over the beat including the crevices. I then wrapped the shoulders tightly in foil to keep the juices and rub in place. They will sit in a cooler in the garage until I put them on the smoker sometime after midnight.
              Sounds great. Can you estimate proportions for the rub/sugar combo? Please report results too.
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• So I've been checking temps every hour, so far so good. Oh, except something just happened in te last 15 minutes, I changed nothing. My temp was 580 degreaser and there shoulders are on fire. So no pork this year.

Edit: I shut everything down and tried to restart the smoker, on the "smoke" setting it jumped to 350 degrees in about 2 minutes. The internal temp at last check before the heat wave was 160, so I have pulled the shoulders and put them in a roaster in the oven at 200. Maybe it can be salvaged.
                Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Huh? I don't get it. What happened?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Huh? I don't get it. What happened?
                    I am assuming my temp controller went haywire or something, I have no idea. One minute were are cruising along at 225-235, about 30 minutes later ldc says "is it supposed to be smoking that much?" I run outside and it says 580 on the display and there is fire inside. I unplug and get everything calmed down, the fire is gone, the meat is a little singed on the bark, so I decide to try again. Turn the unit on to the lowest setting and in about 3 minutes the temp is in the high 300s and starting to fire again.

Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I am assuming my temp controller went haywire or something, I have no idea. One minute were are cruising along at 225-235, about 30 minutes later ldc says "is it supposed to be smoking that much?" I run outside and it says 580 on the display and there is fire inside. I unplug and get everything calmed down, the fire is gone, the meat is a little singed on the bark, so I decide to try again. Turn the unit on to the lowest setting and in about 3 minutes the temp is in the high 300s and starting to fire again.

Yikes.

When was the last time you cleaned out the firepot?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        Sounds great. Can you estimate proportions for the rub/sugar combo? Please report results too.
                        I'd say about four cups of apple juice
                        One cup water
                        half cup of brown sugar
                        10 tbsp of turbinado sugar
                        1 tblsp granulated garlic
                        1 tbsp salt
                        1 tsp pepper.

I also threw in a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Mostly I just add until I like the taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yikes.

When was the last time you cleaned out the firepot?
                          That's the culprit, I believe. I haven't used it since Xmas eve and had just forgotten to do it.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

You think that'll be enough time? What temp do you intend to cook at? The pork butts I've cooked have taken much longer than that.
                            This year I put the shoulders in at 1:30 a.m. All of them were out of the smoker by 11:30.

Comment

This year I put the shoulders in at 1:30 a.m. All of them were out of the smoker by 11:30.
                              Holy cow. Or pork, whatever. I've not had pork shoulders cook that fast, so good for you. What temp did you cook them at?

Comment

Holy cow. Or pork, whatever. I've not had pork shoulders cook that fast, so good for you. What temp did you cook them at?
                                225 on the Trager. The digital readout is around 250. I'm reasonably sure that the temps are probably off but that what works on my grill.

Once again many people told me it was the best pulled pork they had ever had. That compliment is really a tip of the cap to you folks who have mentored and traded recipes.

Comment

Working...
                                X