Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Crank it up to 250 if you are nervous.
    No, I'm not worried. Weird thing happened though. I took a green waste load for my neighbor, and when I got back all sorts of smoke was coming out. I think my machine had overloaded the burn cup and smothered the fire. I ran out of pellets yesterday, so made a run to the store but could only find some off-brand. Not sure if that's the issue. That took a few minutes to straighten out.

The roast was up to 192 when it happened, so I probably could just hold it now until I want to eat, but I'm going to get it up to 195 first. The roast dropped to 186 and is holding there for a bit.

Comment

• Just took it out of the smoker and put it on hold in the oven at 170. I also learned the oven won't go below 170. Looks like pulled pork for lunch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        Just took it out of the smoker and put it on hold in the oven at 170. I also learned the oven won't go below 170. Looks like pulled pork for lunch!

Pork butt is easy but it is by far the piece of meat that gives me the widest range of time to smoke even with similar sized butts. For me, the range is usually between 10-12 hours but I’ve had them go 16 before.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Pork butt is easy but it is by far the piece of meat that gives me the widest range of time to smoke even with similar sized butts. For me, the range is usually between 10-12 hours but I’ve had them go 16 before.
          We've had a strange run of butts going way over the expected time.

The good news is that pork is pretty forgiving-- it can run long, short, above temp, or below temp, and within a reasonable degree of variation the end product is still tasty.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

When I said we need to put a little of the rub on the pork, Mrs. Diddley complained that it would be too much. When I explained that the Dude says to do it this way, both my daughters chimed in that if the Dude says to do it, then we should do it, and Mrs. Diddley relented. (None of them have any idea who the Dude is.)

Finished Pork.jpg

OK, maybe not impressive to any of you veteran smokers, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Sandwich.jpg

I avoid pulled pork at BBQ places because I've had too much dry pork. This is up there with some of the best pulled pork I've had.

AA, you were absolutely right, 11 hours would have been too risky. I took it out of the smoker after 10 1/2 hours, which included a flame-out delay.

Comment

I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

When I said we need to put a little of the rub on the pork, Mrs. Diddley complained that it would be too much. When I explained that the Dude says to do it this way, both my daughters chimed in that if the Dude says to do it, then we should do it, and Mrs. Diddley relented. (None of them have any idea who the Dude is.)

OK, maybe not impressive to any of you veteran smokers, but I'm pretty happy about it.

I avoid pulled pork at BBQ places because I've had too much dry pork. This is up there with some of the best pulled pork I've had.

AA, you were absolutely right, 11 hours would have been too risky. I took it out of the smoker after 10 1/2 hours, which included a flame-out delay.
              Nicely done! Esp. for your first one.

Pulled pork is great.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Nicely done! Esp. for your first one.

Pulled pork is great.
                Great directions. Thanks!

Comment

[ATTACH]8917[/ATTACH]

Not much better than pulled pork, slaw and a fresh roll.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The Pulled Pork Thread

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

[ATTACH]8918[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8917[/ATTACH]

Well done! Pulled pork is a great one to have in your repotoire-- cheap, easy, feeds a crowd, and tasty to boot. Once you get that first one under your belt you'll have it mastered in no time.

The rule I heard is to expect 1 1/4 hours per pound of meat-- so 10 hours is on the spot. But lately some of my pork buts have taken many more hours than that. These days if I have an absolute deadline I will start up to 16 hours beforehand. An extra long hold doesn't hurt any.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Well done! Pulled pork is a great one to have in your repotoire-- cheap, easy, feeds a crowd, and tasty to boot. Once you get that first one under your belt you'll have it mastered in no time.

The rule I heard is to expect 1 1/4 hours per pound of meat-- so 10 hours is on the spot. But lately some of my pork buts have taken many more hours than that. These days if I have an absolute deadline I will start up to 16 hours beforehand.
                      9-10 hrs is typical for me, but sometimes it just takes longer. I always like to plan 4-6 hours of hold time. It makes a big difference. However, if it takes 16 hours to cook, you don't need any hold time. It should already be super tender because the connective tissue should be melted at that point. So the bottom line is that you should always plan to start cooking 16-18 hrs before you plan to eat.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

9-10 hrs is typical for me, but sometimes it just takes longer. I always like to plan 4-6 hours of hold time. It makes a big difference. However, if it takes 16 hours to cook, you don't need any hold time. It should already be super tender because the connective tissue should be melted at that point. So the bottom line is that you should always plan to start cooking 16-18 hrs before you plan to eat.
                        Honestly, this is why I prefer to cook pulled pork over brisket, because if I’m eating brisket for dinner I usually have to wake up early to start it. Pulled pork I can start the night before. It’s also because I’m lazy

Having the pellet smoker has made it a bit easier though. Not a ton easier since the bullet smoker was fairy easy already once it was going, but the start time went from about an hour to a couple minutes.

Comment

• JL, how did the mega cook 2nd Edition go? Did you survive?
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            JL, how did the mega cook 2nd Edition go? Did you survive?
                            It was great! Really getting the hang of this. 67 lbs finished product. 125 lbs overall.

Comment

It was great! Really getting the hang of this. 67 lbs finished product. 125 lbs overall.
                              Are you getting consistent shrink? I know that we would end up with about 60-65% in cooked weight when done.

Stuff looks good.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                Are you getting consistent shrink? I know that we would end up with about 60-65% in cooked weight when done.

Stuff looks good.
                                Maybe 60%

Comment

Working...
                                X