Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 961 to 990 of 999

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

  1. #961
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Cook, pull, vacuum seal. Then boil in the bag and serve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Right. Also a good idea, if possible, to stick the pork in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes before sealing them, so some of those juices solidify and make the sealing process easier on you.
    I can't tell you how many lbs of pulled pork I have frozen using all these steps. Has to be between 1,000 and 2,000 lbs. So gross.

  2. #962
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I can't tell you how many lbs of pulled pork I have frozen using all these steps. Has to be between 1,000 and 2,000 lbs. So gross.
    Gross?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  3. #963

    Default

    Well, I'm just waiting about 18 hours so I won't be freezing my meat. Thanks for the tips!
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  4. #964
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Gross?
    When doing it, I was sealing between 75-150 lbs cooked at a time. I was sealing in 1, 2, and 5 lb quantities.

    Between overheating, cleaning the sealing area, the grease and the smell....I lost my joy/interest for it.

    There are times when I smell PP and I get sick.

  5. #965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Gross?
    Gross:

    noun
    noun: gross; plural noun: grosses

    1.
    an amount equal to twelve dozen; 144.


    144 stone = 2,016 lbs. So, "gross" describes how much pulled pork Tick has frozen.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  6. #966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Gross:

    noun
    noun: gross; plural noun: grosses

    1.
    an amount equal to twelve dozen; 144.


    144 stone = 2,016 lbs. So, "gross" describes how much pulled pork Tick has frozen.
    Very good answer.

  7. #967
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    When doing it, I was sealing between 75-150 lbs cooked at a time. I was sealing in 1, 2, and 5 lb quantities.

    Between overheating, cleaning the sealing area, the grease and the smell....I lost my joy/interest for it.

    There are times when I smell PP and I get sick.
    You turned your hobby into a job. Big mistake.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  8. #968
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You turned your hobby into a job. Big mistake.
    Agreed. Which is why we got out when we did. When it felt like a chore, it was time to go.

  9. #969

    Default

    Cooked 4 butts, vacuum sealed and refrigerated for the next day. Then reheated in a pot of hot water. Worked great for pulled pork the first night and pork tacos the next day with the bags I hadnt yet opened. Thanks all.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  10. #970

    Default

    Picked up an 8 pound butt to smoke. I'm still a duffer, and this is my first butt to smoke. I read The Blog and have looked through some of this thread. Holy crap 33 pages is a lot of pulled-pork discussion!

    I don't have a specific time I need this cooked, so I'm just going to throw it on the smoker at "high smoke" (~220) late tonight, and pull it early tomorrow and wrap it to finish cooking. I'm actually tempted to go start it in the next little while so I can get the four hours in and wrap it before going to bed, and let it cook overnight. What are the chances it would overcook in 7 hours after wrapping?

  11. #971
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,078

    Default

    11 hours total? That's close enough that I would be nervous. We're it me I wouldn't push it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  12. #972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    11 hours total? That's close enough that I would be nervous. We're it me I wouldn't push it.
    Yeah I didn't. Unless someone with experience told me it was a good idea, I wasn't going to push it.

    Just started it cooking 5 minutes ago. I'll get up early and wrap it.

    This thing wasn't trimmed very well. There was skin on the bottom side with a bunch of fat. Anyone ever run into that? I think I'll buy from Costco next time. I used Pappy's rub. I've got a mix of hickory and apple pellets. Cooking on high smoke @ 220 until I wrap it.

    Pork Butt.jpg

  13. #973
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Yeah I didn't. Unless someone with experience told me it was a good idea, I wasn't going to push it.

    Just started it cooking 5 minutes ago. I'll get up early and wrap it.

    This thing wasn't trimmed very well. There was skin on the bottom side with a bunch of fat. Anyone ever run into that? I think I'll buy from Costco next time. I used Pappy's rub. I've got a mix of hickory and apple pellets. Cooking on high smoke @ 220 until I wrap it.

    Pork Butt.jpg
    That skin is totally normal and does not need to be trimmed. It will fall off after you cook and helps keep things juicy/moist during the cook.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That skin is totally normal and does not need to be trimmed. It will fall off after you cook and helps keep things juicy/moist during the cook.
    Interesting.

    At the 6 hour mark I foiled the pan. It's stalled somewhere around 160. Delaying the foil by a couple of hours has likely extended the cooking time some.

  15. #975
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Interesting.

    At the 6 hour mark I foiled the pan. It's stalled somewhere around 160. Delaying the foil by a couple of hours has likely extended the cooking time some.
    Crank it up to 250 if you are nervous.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  16. #976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Crank it up to 250 if you are nervous.
    No, I'm not worried. Weird thing happened though. I took a green waste load for my neighbor, and when I got back all sorts of smoke was coming out. I think my machine had overloaded the burn cup and smothered the fire. I ran out of pellets yesterday, so made a run to the store but could only find some off-brand. Not sure if that's the issue. That took a few minutes to straighten out.

    The roast was up to 192 when it happened, so I probably could just hold it now until I want to eat, but I'm going to get it up to 195 first. The roast dropped to 186 and is holding there for a bit.

  17. #977

    Default

    Just took it out of the smoker and put it on hold in the oven at 170. I also learned the oven won't go below 170. Looks like pulled pork for lunch!

  18. #978
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Just took it out of the smoker and put it on hold in the oven at 170. I also learned the oven won't go below 170. Looks like pulled pork for lunch!


    Pork butt is easy but it is by far the piece of meat that gives me the widest range of time to smoke even with similar sized butts. For me, the range is usually between 10-12 hours but I’ve had them go 16 before.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  19. #979
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post


    Pork butt is easy but it is by far the piece of meat that gives me the widest range of time to smoke even with similar sized butts. For me, the range is usually between 10-12 hours but I’ve had them go 16 before.
    We've had a strange run of butts going way over the expected time.

    The good news is that pork is pretty forgiving-- it can run long, short, above temp, or below temp, and within a reasonable degree of variation the end product is still tasty.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  20. #980

    Default

    I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

    When I said we need to put a little of the rub on the pork, Mrs. Diddley complained that it would be too much. When I explained that the Dude says to do it this way, both my daughters chimed in that if the Dude says to do it, then we should do it, and Mrs. Diddley relented. (None of them have any idea who the Dude is.)

    Finished Pork.jpg

    OK, maybe not impressive to any of you veteran smokers, but I'm pretty happy about it.

    Sandwich.jpg

    I avoid pulled pork at BBQ places because I've had too much dry pork. This is up there with some of the best pulled pork I've had.

    AA, you were absolutely right, 11 hours would have been too risky. I took it out of the smoker after 10 1/2 hours, which included a flame-out delay.

  21. #981
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

    When I said we need to put a little of the rub on the pork, Mrs. Diddley complained that it would be too much. When I explained that the Dude says to do it this way, both my daughters chimed in that if the Dude says to do it, then we should do it, and Mrs. Diddley relented. (None of them have any idea who the Dude is.)

    OK, maybe not impressive to any of you veteran smokers, but I'm pretty happy about it.


    I avoid pulled pork at BBQ places because I've had too much dry pork. This is up there with some of the best pulled pork I've had.

    AA, you were absolutely right, 11 hours would have been too risky. I took it out of the smoker after 10 1/2 hours, which included a flame-out delay.
    Nicely done! Esp. for your first one.

    Pulled pork is great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  22. #982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Nicely done! Esp. for your first one.

    Pulled pork is great.
    Great directions. Thanks!

  23. #983
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post


    Not much better than pulled pork, slaw and a fresh roll.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  24. #984
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,078

    Default The Pulled Pork Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I let it hold for 90 minutes in the oven at 170. I figured the flame-out delay had already worked on breaking down the collagen since it was almost up to temp when it happened. Then I let it rest for 45 minutes before using the Dude's techniques in pulling this thing apart.

    When I said we need to put a little of the rub on the pork, Mrs. Diddley complained that it would be too much. When I explained that the Dude says to do it this way, both my daughters chimed in that if the Dude says to do it, then we should do it, and Mrs. Diddley relented. (None of them have any idea who the Dude is.)

    Finished Pork.jpg

    OK, maybe not impressive to any of you veteran smokers, but I'm pretty happy about it.

    Sandwich.jpg

    I avoid pulled pork at BBQ places because I've had too much dry pork. This is up there with some of the best pulled pork I've had.

    AA, you were absolutely right, 11 hours would have been too risky. I took it out of the smoker after 10 1/2 hours, which included a flame-out delay.
    Well done! Pulled pork is a great one to have in your repotoire-- cheap, easy, feeds a crowd, and tasty to boot. Once you get that first one under your belt you'll have it mastered in no time.

    The rule I heard is to expect 1 1/4 hours per pound of meat-- so 10 hours is on the spot. But lately some of my pork buts have taken many more hours than that. These days if I have an absolute deadline I will start up to 16 hours beforehand. An extra long hold doesn't hurt any.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  25. #985
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Well done! Pulled pork is a great one to have in your repotoire-- cheap, easy, feeds a crowd, and tasty to boot. Once you get that first one under your belt you'll have it mastered in no time.

    The rule I heard is to expect 1 1/4 hours per pound of meat-- so 10 hours is on the spot. But lately some of my pork buts have taken many more hours than that. These days if I have an absolute deadline I will start up to 16 hours beforehand.
    9-10 hrs is typical for me, but sometimes it just takes longer. I always like to plan 4-6 hours of hold time. It makes a big difference. However, if it takes 16 hours to cook, you don't need any hold time. It should already be super tender because the connective tissue should be melted at that point. So the bottom line is that you should always plan to start cooking 16-18 hrs before you plan to eat.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  26. #986
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    9-10 hrs is typical for me, but sometimes it just takes longer. I always like to plan 4-6 hours of hold time. It makes a big difference. However, if it takes 16 hours to cook, you don't need any hold time. It should already be super tender because the connective tissue should be melted at that point. So the bottom line is that you should always plan to start cooking 16-18 hrs before you plan to eat.
    Honestly, this is why I prefer to cook pulled pork over brisket, because if I’m eating brisket for dinner I usually have to wake up early to start it. Pulled pork I can start the night before. It’s also because I’m lazy

    Having the pellet smoker has made it a bit easier though. Not a ton easier since the bullet smoker was fairy easy already once it was going, but the start time went from about an hour to a couple minutes.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  27. #987

    Default

    JL, how did the mega cook 2nd Edition go? Did you survive?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  28. #988
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    JL, how did the mega cook 2nd Edition go? Did you survive?
    It was great! Really getting the hang of this. 67 lbs finished product. 125 lbs overall.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  29. #989
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    It was great! Really getting the hang of this. 67 lbs finished product. 125 lbs overall.
    Are you getting consistent shrink? I know that we would end up with about 60-65% in cooked weight when done.

    Stuff looks good.

  30. #990
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Are you getting consistent shrink? I know that we would end up with about 60-65% in cooked weight when done.

    Stuff looks good.
    Maybe 60%
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •