The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    No Sam's Club near us. Used to be, but it closed.
    Ha, I'm lucky we even have stores here. We do have a Smart and Final. Very lucky to have that.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Confession. I get the costco two-packs but never trim, skewer, or tie. Sometimes I can set it on the grill just so, and it stays in place. But the extra effort to carefully tuck away the loose ends never seems to yield noticeable results for me.
      I only cut off the thickest pieces of fat. Tucking and skewering takes an extra 10 seconds or so - so not much effort. Maybe next run I'll just throw it on and see what happens. Especially if I'm just cooking for family.

Comment

• Just putting a pork roast in the smoker for lunch tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Just putting a pork roast in the smoker for lunch tomorrow.
          I roasted one in the house today. At 160F, I pulled it out and double wrapped it in heavy-duty tinfoil. It made it much juicier.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            I roasted one in the house today. At 160F, I pulled it out and double wrapped it in heavy-duty tinfoil. It made it much juicier.
            The roast is on a rack inside my large roasting pan. I just put foil over the pan and put it in the inside oven on 225. The roast is up to 126 degrees right now.

Comment

• IMG_20200315_155650.jpg

IMG_20200315_161852.jpg
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• Looks great! My wife and I thought we'd make a quick trip to Costco yesterday and pick up a brisket and pork butts for the freezer, along with a couple of other things (not tp). When we got to the parking lot, the line outside extended from the door to the far south end of the store, and maybe farther. I suspect they were just letting x number of people in at a time. We turned around and went home. Nothing says social distancing better than standing in line with hundreds of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  In my experience, one butt feeds 12-15 people - conservatively. Count on 50% shrinkage. Pork is cheap and excellent as a leftover, so I typically plan big numbers.

Depending on how much you are doing, I like to cook ahead of time and vacuum seal and then reheat on the day of the cook in boiling water. Works great.
                  is the move to pull before vac sealing? just finishing the 170* two hour rest period and we overshot dinner (plan b worked great, though) so have a full 7lb butt to seal.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• The Pulled Pork Thread

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    is the move to pull before vac sealing? just finishing the 170* two hour rest period and we overshot dinner (plan b worked great, though) so have a full 7lb butt to seal.
                    Yes. Pull before sealing. Add a little of your juice from the foil if you have any.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• first, our costco sells a 2pk bone-in shoulder. is this rare?
                      second, i have a firm testimony in lebowski's pulled pork recipe. truly idiot proof, and i get to take credit for something that's delicious and cheap.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        first, our costco sells a 2pk bone-in shoulder. is this rare?
                        second, i have a firm testimony in lebowski's pulled pork recipe. truly idiot proof, and i get to take credit for something that's delicious and cheap.
                        I haven’t seen the bone in at Costco.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          first, our costco sells a 2pk bone-in shoulder. is this rare?

Our Costco is also selling pork butts with the bone in. Hallelujah! This has been a long time coming.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Our Costco is also selling pork butts with the bone in. Hallelujah! This has been a long time coming.
                            I forgot to mention this. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Costco two butt pack, fully expecting to have the boneless ones. On the morning of the smoke, I was scrambling looking for bamboo skewers to close the flaps together. But oh my joy when I opened the pack and found they were bone in!

Second OG’s review of Jeff’s recipe. This is the third time I’ve used it. It truly is foolproof. We’ve done tacos, nachos, and mac and cheese leftovers.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              I forgot to mention this. A couple of weeks ago I bought the Costco two butt pack, fully expecting to have the boneless ones. On the morning of the smoke, I was scrambling looking for bamboo skewers to close the flaps together. But oh my joy when I opened the pack and found they were bone in!

Second OG’s review of Jeff’s recipe. This is the third time I’ve used it. It truly is foolproof. We’ve done tacos, nachos, and mac and cheese leftovers.
                              Fun fact: the first set of stone tablets Moses had was actually the dude’s pulled pork recipe.

Love that stuff. So many good things you can do with it, too.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Fun fact: the first set of stone tablets Moses had was actually the dude’s pulled pork recipe.

Love that stuff. So many good things you can do with it, too.
                                I can see that. The Israelites were def not ready for the higher law of the pork.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X