Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1063

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    What sauces do you all like to use with pork? We made up a mustard/vinegar Carolina-style sauce to go with pork we brought to a ward potluck yesterday that I think went underappreciated; most still went for the regular barbecue sauce, but I've been thinking about that homemade sauce ever since.
    We were out of BBQ sauce one night, so I threw something together from ingredients we had on hand. It was really good, and I wish I would have recorded what I put in it.

Sadly, I'll never have that recipe again...

What sauces do you all like to use with pork? We made up a mustard/vinegar Carolina-style sauce to go with pork we brought to a ward potluck yesterday that I think went underappreciated; most still went for the regular barbecue sauce, but I've been thinking about that homemade sauce ever since.
    We may be heathen, but after trying a few different sauces have standardized on Sweet Baby Ray's. None of us care for the vinegar-based sauces.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    We may be heathen, but after trying a few different sauces have standardized on Sweet Baby Ray's. None of us care for the vinegar-based sauces.
    That's our typical go to and what we were out of when I made that other sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    We were out of BBQ sauce one night, so I threw something together from ingredients we had on hand. It was really good, and I wish I would have recorded what I put in it.

Sadly, I'll never have that recipe again...
    Oh, no, oh!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

We use three with regularity. The first is the Lexington dip from the amazingribs website. It's a thin, vinegar-based sauce. It's my favorite on pulled pork. The second is a mustard-based sauce. The kids put that on everything now - not just pork, but burgers, tater tots, etc. The third is a souped-up version of whatever store-bought sauce we have.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    We use three with regularity. The first is the Lexington dip from the amazingribs website. It's a thin, vinegar-based sauce. It's my favorite on pulled pork. The second is a mustard-based sauce. The kids put that on everything now - not just pork, but burgers, tater tots, etc. The third is a souped-up version of whatever store-bought sauce we have.
    Recipe?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I like a Carolina vinegar sauce the best, especially with some mayo and coleslaw and a toasted bun. My kids prefer Rudy’s bbq sauce, which if I use a bbq sauce it’s my go to. But I’m always light on my sauces since I like my ribs and/or the smoke to be the dominant taste.

Post your recipe for the sauce as I’d like to try it.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I like a Carolina vinegar sauce the best, especially with some mayo and coleslaw and a toasted bun. My kids prefer Rudy’s bbq sauce, which if I use a bbq sauce it’s my go to. But I’m always light on my sauces since I like my ribs and/or the smoke to be the dominant taste.

Post your recipe for the sauce as I’d like to try it.
    It came from one of the first web sites we could find:

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo minced
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    ground black pepper to taste
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    That sounds a lot like what I threw together.

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Yes. Mustard/vinegar based sauce FTW. I will choose that 10 times out of 10 over something like Sweet Baby Ray's. Your recipe is similar to my own, though I usually mince some onion and saute that in a pan before adding the other ingredients.

There is a Stubbs mustard based BBQ sauce that is pretty good for store bought. But, like you say, it's pretty dang easy to make if you plan ahead.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

Yes. Mustard/vinegar based sauce FTW. I will choose that 10 times out of 10 over something like Sweet Baby Ray's. Your recipe is similar to my own, though I usually mince some onion and saute that in a pan before adding the other ingredients.

There is a Stubbs mustard based BBQ sauce that is pretty good for store bought. But, like you say, it's pretty dang easy to make if you plan ahead.
    Sticky fingers has a mustard based sauce I like. Also for those that have been to Mission BBQ (East coast chain with a military theme, usually open close to bases) they have this white sauce that I guess is based on Bob Gibson's Alabama white sauce. It's so dang good. It goes great on pulled pork and pulled chicken. You have to ask for it as they don't have them out on the tables.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Tennessee Red is my favorite vinegar-based sauce.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yep. This sauce is so good. And it's great on everything. Chicken, beef, pork, pizza, eggs. I love it so much.
    -Turtle

Care to share your recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Commercial product. I purchase it at BBQ pit stop in Lehi but you can order online.

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    It's made by Blues Hog. Also their Smokey Mountain sauce is incredible too. If you like sweet, molasses based sauces this is the one. But Tennessee Red is still my favorite. Their original sauce is also very good. In fact, some folks on the competition circuit mix Red and the OG sauces which I believe they mix and sell as Champions' Blend. They have a honey mustard I would like to try but haven't. World Market carried their sauces last summer. They went on clearance at the end of summer and I cleaned them out at $3 a bottle. Even picked up their rub. Not as big a fan of their rub as the sauce but it's still decent.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    It's made by Blues Hog. Also their Smokey Mountain sauce is incredible too. If you like sweet, molasses based sauces this is the one. But Tennessee Red is still my favorite. Their original sauce is also very good. In fact, some folks on the competition circuit mix Red and the OG sauces which I believe they mix and sell as Champions' Blend. They have a honey mustard I would like to try but haven't. World Market carried their sauces last summer. They went on clearance at the end of summer and I cleaned them out at $3 a bottle. Even picked up their rub. Not as big a fan of their rub as the sauce but it's still decent.
    Nice. I will pick some up for sure.

Tennessee Red has 14g of sugar per 2 tbsp - yowza!

My current go-to, Stubb's original, has 4g sugar per 2 tbsp. I'm not saying Stubb's is awesome but it's "good enough" and readily available in local stores so that's why it's my current go to.

EDIT: Stubb's is tomato based. For vinegar based, I don't know of a good lower-sugar option that is available in Utah. I'm interested in any suggestions.
    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 08-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Tennessee Red has 14g of sugar per 2 tbsp - yowza!

My current go-to, Stubb's original, has 4g sugar per 2 tbsp. I'm not saying Stubb's is awesome but it's "good enough" and readily available in local stores so that's why it's my current go to.

EDIT: Stubb's is tomato based. For vinegar based, I don't know of a good lower-sugar option that is available in Utah. I'm interested in any suggestions.
    Where are you getting that? I am looking at a nutrition label and it says 8g per 2 T.

Tennessee Red has a strong flavor so I tend to use less of it.

Where are you getting that? I am looking at a nutrition label and it says 8g per 2 T.

Tennessee Red has a strong flavor so I tend to use less of it.
    I searched "Blues Hog Tennessee Red nutrition" and the following are the top links. All show 14g per 2T.

https://www.nutritionix.com/i/blues-...9bff5553aa95da
    https://www.fooducate.com/product/Bl...2-FEFD45A4D471
    https://www.innit.com/nutrition/blue...00030684902741

I then did a Google image search for "Blues Hog Tennessee Red nutrition label" and tons of images of the label on jars show it as 14g per 2T. Just one example:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1190/2102/products/BluesHTR2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1462974244

The Blues Hog Original shows 22g per 2T - double yowza!

Maybe Blues Hog changed their recipe?

Anyway, if they don't have that much sugar then they've got a misinformation problem on their hands because in the minds of the consumer, perception is reality and they're perceived as being high sugar.

I searched "Blues Hog Tennessee Red nutrition" and the following are the top links. All show 14g per 2T.

I then did a Google image search for "Blues Hog Tennessee Red nutrition label" and tons of images of the label on jars show it as 14g per 2T. Just one example:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1190/2102/products/BluesHTR2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1462974244

Anyway, if they don't have that much sugar then they've got a misinformation problem on their hands because in the minds of the consumer, perception is reality and they're perceived as being high sugar.
    It's worth all the sugar.
    -Turtle

From my fridge.

JL's jar has a different label, with the "gluten free" highlight, so as BFM suggested, it appears they changed the ingredients. Here's the ingredients from an Amazon ad, different from the ingredients shown in JL's photo.

61ihtK2lr2L._SX522_.jpg

Apparently my wife has volunteered me to smoke some pulled pork for the school where she works.

During parent teacher conferences, they always have food brought in that night for the teachers and staff who are there. Well - one day last month my wife took some smoked pork for lunch, ended up sharing some with some co-workers, and they all decided it would be a great idea if I cooked some up for one of their PTC meals later this week.

Pulled pork is pretty easy, all things considered. I have no problem doing it. My biggest concern is cooking enough and not running out. So - with that in mind - for those of you who have done large groups before, do you have an "X pounds of pork per person" formula you use? How do you account for weight lost during the cook? (meaning - if I decided I wanted to have 1/2 lb per person, how much "shrinkage" should I expect from the weight listed on the package when I buy?)

I've cooked for my work before - maybe 15 people; as well as for some YM activities - again, maybe 15 people. I'm told there will be 70 teachers and staff, just as a reference point, which is obviously a lot more than anything I've done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Apparently my wife has volunteered me to smoke some pulled pork for the school where she works.

During parent teacher conferences, they always have food brought in that night for the teachers and staff who are there. Well - one day last month my wife took some smoked pork for lunch, ended up sharing some with some co-workers, and they all decided it would be a great idea if I cooked some up for one of their PTC meals later this week.

Pulled pork is pretty easy, all things considered. I have no problem doing it. My biggest concern is cooking enough and not running out. So - with that in mind - for those of you who have done large groups before, do you have an "X pounds of pork per person" formula you use? How do you account for weight lost during the cook? (meaning - if I decided I wanted to have 1/2 lb per person, how much "shrinkage" should I expect from the weight listed on the package when I buy?)

I've cooked for my work before - maybe 15 people; as well as for some YM activities - again, maybe 15 people. I'm told there will be 70 teachers and staff, just as a reference point, which is obviously a lot more than anything I've done in the past.
    Just roast a whole pig.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

There was significant shrinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

In my experience, one butt feeds 12-15 people - conservatively. Count on 50% shrinkage. Pork is cheap and excellent as a leftover, so I typically plan big numbers.

Depending on how much you are doing, I like to cook ahead of time and vacuum seal and then reheat on the day of the cook in boiling water. Works great.

Princeps Inter Pares

Default The Pulled Pork Thread

When cooking for groups that include kids and had an abundant number of side dishes, I’ve gotten away with a half pound per person precooked. One pound per person is probably more than you need (but nobody ever complained about leftovers). Somewhere between that—one pound per 1.5 persons—is probably about right, especially for a group for which you have not cooked before and don’t know what to expect.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

I fed about 130 people (although there were a lot of kids) on about 60 pounds pre cooked.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Thanks for the input everyone. I was just planning on about 1 lb each pre-cooked to begin with - and I think I'll stick with that - erring on more when picking out the shoulders. I'd rather have extra than not have enough. I know there will be more women than men - which should help. But we'll see.

I love the idea of cooking in advance (over the weekend), vacuum sealing, and then reheating in boiling water. Except that I just found out today, and the dinner is this Thursday. So at this point, I think it will just be easiest to throw it all on the grill Wednesday afternoon. I know it's going to take longer than normal, since it will be at least double the amount of meat I've ever cooked at the same time in the past. I'm equal parts excited and nervous for the challenge...

Thanks again!