Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

We always use the King's Hawaiian rolls for pulled pork.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

I put a 7 pound bone in shoulder on the smoker just before 10 PM last night. It's current temp is 189. Looks like our game time meal has been turned into a post game meal. Pork shoulder is the kicker of BBQ.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Just pulled a whole shoulder off the smoker. I had it cut to it to get both picnic and a boston butt. 20 hours to get to 195. At a $1.29 a pound I can put up with the poor temperament of pork.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

I love pulled pork tacos. Good idea to go straight to the tacos and bypass the sandwiches. I should try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by bestellen View Post
    I love pulled pork tacos. Good idea to go straight to the tacos and bypass the sandwiches. I should try that next time.
    Solid first post. I look forward to many more!

I'm bringing dinner to my neighbors. I asked them what they wanted and he left for a minute and then came back with a frozen rack of baby backs. Since my smoker was going anyway, I picked up a couple butts. They cooked faster than expected but came out great. I just chopped about 2 pounds and put them in the beans that are on the smoker with the ribs. There will be some good eating tonight.

I smoked two shoulders for my son's baptism lunch. They were at 190 degrees about 11 hours before they would be served. I pulled them from the smoke, wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven at 200 degrees. Four hours before serving time they were at 202, so I FTC'd and pulled at eating time. I saved the renderings and poured them over the pulled product (they did dry out a bit), and it was perfect. A little slaw and Head Country BBQ sauce (there's a Clack joke in there somewhere), and it was great eating.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

The meal turned out pretty good. The homemade BBQ sauce went really well with the pulled pork and in the beans.

IMG_1159.jpg

Four butts injected, rubbed, and ready for the smoker at 2 a.m. Life is good.

Anyone got a cigarette?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    Four butts injected, rubbed, and ready for the smoker at 2 a.m. Life is good.

Anyone got a cigarette?
    Did you ever find a cig?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Did you ever find a cig?

No. However, my pulled pork was so good that it won the hearts of the masses.

Just finished putting a couple of butts on the smoker. Planning to serve the pulled pork with croissants at an Independence Day dinner. Nothing says "Merica" quite like croissants.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Two butts went on the smoker last night at 11:45 pm. One is 169 degrees and the other 167. Pork butt can be a fickle SOB. Luckily, at about 2:00 pm seeing it wasn’t going to happen, I put short ribs on the smoker. Those made a wonderful dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Two butts went on the smoker last night at 11:45 pm. One is 169 degrees and the other 167. Pork butt can be a fickle SOB. Luckily, at about 2:00 pm seeing it wasnít going to happen, I put short ribs on the smoker. Those made a wonderful dinner.
    What? That canít be right. You need to check your smoker temp control.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    What? That can’t be right. You need to check your smoker temp control.
    I have. Many times. I have used different thermostats and in different places. I also cooked the short ribs in the exact amount of time as expected. I’m up to172 and 170. Progress.

I have. Many times. I have used different thermostats and in different places. I also cooked the short ribs in the exact amount of time as expected. Iím up to172 and 170. Progress.
    I have cooked butts countless times. Never gone over 12 hours.

Do you foil?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I have cooked butts countless times. Never gone over 12 hours.

Do you foil?
    i don’t until 195 plus. I’ve had shoulders go 18 hours or so before. This was the worst. I finally pulled them off the smoker, foiled and put in the oven for the night. I figure this a smoker version of sous vide. So frustrating.

i donít until 195 plus. Iíve had shoulders go 18 hours or so before. This was the worst. I finally pulled them off the smoker, foiled and put in the oven for the night. I figure this a smoker version of sous vide. So frustrating.
    I foil after 4 hrs. At what temp do you cook?

That is so weird. Seems like you are violating some law of thermodynamics.

I've never had problems with timing when I foil after 4 or 5 hours. its when I haven't foiled that it has gone ridiculously long.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I foil after 4 hrs. At what temp do you cook?

That is so weird. Seems like you are violating some law of thermodynamics.
    I felt like the opposite of this guy.

https://youtu.be/h9AqbDtSFNU

Went to Famous Dave's tonight... We taste tested the sauces, but couldn't tell which was which because the names on the plastic bottles had all rubbed off... I did like one more than the others but who knows what it was.

Not me.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

lebowski, on your blog, when you discuss taking the foiled butt off the smoker or out of the oven for the rest, you don't say anything about taking the foil off for 15-30 minutes prior to FTC or oven at 170 rest period. is that not necessary? i've always done it because i thought it was part of the process - perhaps i came up with that on my own or was given useless info at some point.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    lebowski, on your blog, when you discuss taking the foiled butt off the smoker or out of the oven for the rest, you don't say anything about taking the foil off for 15-30 minutes prior to FTC or oven at 170 rest period. is that not necessary? i've always done it because i thought it was part of the process - perhaps i came up with that on my own or was given useless info at some point.
    Sometimes I do that and sometimes I donít. Iím not sure itís necessary with pork butts.

I always do that on brisket because brisket is more sensitive to the final temperature.

Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don’t. I’m not sure it’s necessary with pork butts.

I always do that on brisket because brisket is more sensitive to the final temperature.
    ah. makes sense. gracias
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it at the moment. What is your preferred method for reheating/serving pulled pork?

I have 4 butts that I am smoking today for a large group dinner on Tuesday night. I wanted to smoke it on Tuesday so it could be served hot, but the logistics aren't going to work out. So I will cook today and then have to reheat to serve tomorrow.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    This has probably been addressed a hundred times, but I can't find it at the moment. What is your preferred method for reheating/serving pulled pork?

I have 4 butts that I am smoking today for a large group dinner on Tuesday night. I wanted to smoke it on Tuesday so it could be served hot, but the logistics aren't going to work out. So I will cook today and then have to reheat to serve tomorrow.
    Cook, pull, vacuum seal. Then boil in the bag and serve.

Princeps Inter Pares

Easy peasy. Did just that for the fourth of july barbecue last year and the results were great.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
    - Goatnapper'96

We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
    Pro tip!

We are doing pulled pork for my daughters wedding. I am going to using this method on a ridiculous amount of meat.

Princeps Inter Pares

Right. Also a good idea, if possible, to stick the pork in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes before sealing them, so some of those juices solidify and make the sealing process easier on you.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν