The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Cook, pull, vacuum seal. Then boil in the bag and serve.
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    We've had success with this method. I've also found that when freezing the sealed bags, if I flatten out the contents inside the sealed bag before freezing them, then the pork tends to reheat a lot faster in the boiling water. Also, they stack in the freezer better when they're flat.
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Right. Also a good idea, if possible, to stick the pork in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes before sealing them, so some of those juices solidify and make the sealing process easier on you.
    I can't tell you how many lbs of pulled pork I have frozen using all these steps. Has to be between 1,000 and 2,000 lbs. So gross.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      I can't tell you how many lbs of pulled pork I have frozen using all these steps. Has to be between 1,000 and 2,000 lbs. So gross.
      Gross?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Well, I'm just waiting about 18 hours so I won't be freezing my meat. Thanks for the tips!
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Gross?
          When doing it, I was sealing between 75-150 lbs cooked at a time. I was sealing in 1, 2, and 5 lb quantities.

Between overheating, cleaning the sealing area, the grease and the smell....I lost my joy/interest for it.

There are times when I smell PP and I get sick.

Comment

Gross?
            Gross:

noun
            noun: gross; plural noun: grosses

an amount equal to twelve dozen; 144.

144 stone = 2,016 lbs. So, "gross" describes how much pulled pork Tick has frozen.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
              Gross:

noun
              noun: gross; plural noun: grosses

an amount equal to twelve dozen; 144.

144 stone = 2,016 lbs. So, "gross" describes how much pulled pork Tick has frozen.
              Very good answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                When doing it, I was sealing between 75-150 lbs cooked at a time. I was sealing in 1, 2, and 5 lb quantities.

Between overheating, cleaning the sealing area, the grease and the smell....I lost my joy/interest for it.

There are times when I smell PP and I get sick.
                You turned your hobby into a job. Big mistake.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

You turned your hobby into a job. Big mistake.
                  Agreed. Which is why we got out when we did. When it felt like a chore, it was time to go.

Comment

• Cooked 4 butts, vacuum sealed and refrigerated for the next day. Then reheated in a pot of hot water. Worked great for pulled pork the first night and pork tacos the next day with the bags I hadnt yet opened. Thanks all.
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Picked up an 8 pound butt to smoke. I'm still a duffer, and this is my first butt to smoke. I read The Blog and have looked through some of this thread. Holy crap 33 pages is a lot of pulled-pork discussion!

I don't have a specific time I need this cooked, so I'm just going to throw it on the smoker at "high smoke" (~220) late tonight, and pull it early tomorrow and wrap it to finish cooking. I'm actually tempted to go start it in the next little while so I can get the four hours in and wrap it before going to bed, and let it cook overnight. What are the chances it would overcook in 7 hours after wrapping?

Comment

• 11 hours total? That's close enough that I would be nervous. We're it me I wouldn't push it.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          11 hours total? That's close enough that I would be nervous. We're it me I wouldn't push it.
                          Yeah I didn't. Unless someone with experience told me it was a good idea, I wasn't going to push it.

Just started it cooking 5 minutes ago. I'll get up early and wrap it.

This thing wasn't trimmed very well. There was skin on the bottom side with a bunch of fat. Anyone ever run into that? I think I'll buy from Costco next time. I used Pappy's rub. I've got a mix of hickory and apple pellets. Cooking on high smoke @ 220 until I wrap it.

Pork Butt.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Yeah I didn't. Unless someone with experience told me it was a good idea, I wasn't going to push it.

Just started it cooking 5 minutes ago. I'll get up early and wrap it.

This thing wasn't trimmed very well. There was skin on the bottom side with a bunch of fat. Anyone ever run into that? I think I'll buy from Costco next time. I used Pappy's rub. I've got a mix of hickory and apple pellets. Cooking on high smoke @ 220 until I wrap it.

[ATTACH]8914[/ATTACH]
                            That skin is totally normal and does not need to be trimmed. It will fall off after you cook and helps keep things juicy/moist during the cook.

Comment

That skin is totally normal and does not need to be trimmed. It will fall off after you cook and helps keep things juicy/moist during the cook.
                              Interesting.

At the 6 hour mark I foiled the pan. It's stalled somewhere around 160. Delaying the foil by a couple of hours has likely extended the cooking time some.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                Interesting.

At the 6 hour mark I foiled the pan. It's stalled somewhere around 160. Delaying the foil by a couple of hours has likely extended the cooking time some.
                                Crank it up to 250 if you are nervous.

Comment

Working...
                                X