Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 661 to 684 of 684

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

  1. #661

    Default

    I tried this a few days ago and it worked great.

    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

  2. #662
    Living in the Past ... FMCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The bubble
    Posts
    6,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
    I tried this a few days ago and it worked great.

    [Youtube]lTr3hPvYVTQ[/youtube]
    Great idea. I don't have a mixer in the RV but I'll for sure be trying that next time I do it at home.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

  3. #663
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    30,166

    Default

    Why would you want to shred a perfectly good pork roast? That just dries it out and changes the texture. I like to keep it in larger chunks. It is supposed to be "pulled" pork, not "shredded" pork.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  4. #664

    Default

    I need help. I'm cooking for700 people this weekend, 400 lbs of butts. My computer is down with a virus, so Google is difficult from my phone. If i start cooking this afternoon, can i cook the butts without wrapping them? I just don't have time to wrap all that if i can help it. Also, im cooking a full pig Monday and want to do the same. Will it be too dry? Also, will it pull apart? I dont have time to scroll through this whole thread, so apologies if you've discussed all this.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  5. #665

    Default

    700 people !?!

    I don't remember wrapping my pork. You'll probably want to spray them occasionally with a water/vinegar solution.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

  6. #666
    Feels So Good Joe Public's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Yes, you can cook the butts without wrapping/"crutching" them. It will just take longer to hit your final temps because they will stall for a while once they get to around 150F to 160F degrees internal temperature. A lot of people spray, like KC mentioned, but I think that's more to keep the surface cooler during the smoking phase (which allows for more smoke to penetrate) and to add flavor. As I understand it, the moist mouth feel of a slow-smoked pork shoulder comes from the melted collagen/fat and not from water. Also, a 50/50 solution of apple juice and apple cider vinegar works great with pork as well if you do decide to spray. My $0.02.

    I've never cooked a whole hog. Good luck with that. We'll be watching for photos of all of this, of course.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    .........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

  7. #667
    Grillmaster Extraordinair Drunk Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I need help. I'm cooking for700 people this weekend, 400 lbs of butts. My computer is down with a virus, so Google is difficult from my phone. If i start cooking this afternoon, can i cook the butts without wrapping them? I just don't have time to wrap all that if i can help it. Also, im cooking a full pig Monday and want to do the same. Will it be too dry? Also, will it pull apart? I dont have time to scroll through this whole thread, so apologies if you've discussed all this.
    400lbs of butts will yield approx. 250-300 lbs. cooked, which is plenty for 700 people. Can you fit them all on your smoker at once? With that much meat in smoker I wouldn't worry about spritzing. The cooking chamber will be plenty moist. Pork can hot hold in an insulated cooler for hours if you are done early, so don't be afraid to cook at a little higher temp (250-275ish) no big deal. I feel sorry for whoever has to pull all that meat.

    How big a pig? I'd cook it at 250-275 otherwise it could take a long time. Start skin side up and flip it after about 6 hours or so, more if it is a big hog. Be liberal with whatever rub you are using and inject if possible. A 75lb pig will feed approx. 50 people and take 9+ hours at 250.
    Last edited by Drunk Tank; 08-15-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

  8. #668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    400lbs of butts will yield approx. 250-300 lbs. cooked, which is plenty for 700 people. Can you fit them all on your smoker at once? With that much meat in smoker I wouldn't worry about spritzing. The cooking chamber will be plenty moist. Pork can hot hold in an insulated cooler for hours if you are done early, so don't be afraid to cook at a little higher temp (250-275ish) no big deal. I feel sorry for whoever has to pull all that meat.

    How big a pig? I'd cook it at 250-275 otherwise it could take a long time. Start skin side up and flip it after about 6 hours or so, more if it is a big hog. Be liberal with whatever rub you are using and inject if possible. A 75lb pig will feed approx. 50 people and take 9+ hours at 250.
    I didn't make it clear that this is two events. The first is today for 400 people and the second is for 300 Monday. The pig won't be enough, so I'll augment with beef and butts, which I'm cooking today, then I'll freeze them tonight and warm them up Monday. I'm smoking in batches, then putting them in covered foil pans to finish for tonight's meal. I can smoke about 200 lbs at a time, and I can fit a total of 400-500 lbs in the smoker once it's wrapped/covered . I'll try to find time for pics.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  9. #669

    Default

    You have to be the busiest person I know, cowboy. You can say no every once in a while.

  10. #670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    You have to be the busiest person I know, cowboy. You can say no every once in a while.
    My wife said the same thing. I told her she already says 'no' enough for both of us.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  11. #671

    Default

    I ended up putting the butts in roaster pans rather than wrapping each one. I cooked them for 12-16 hours first, so the bark ended up staying rather than disintegrating.


    Here is the finished product (actually, these are chucks) before pulling.


    And the pulled product.


    My three cowboys helped me cook, and decided they needed some music, so they tied the radio to the mirror with a horse halter. Cowboy ingenuity at its finest.
    Last edited by cowboy; 08-18-2014 at 07:25 AM.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  12. #672

    Default

    The smoke marathon is complete. We cooked 350 lbs of meat and fed roughly 650 people total in two events. Last night was 300 people for the hospital employees and their families. A doctor who came here last year and has spent most of his life in Kansas City told me he'd had pulled pork in dozens of states from coast to coast, and this was some of the best. I'll take that as a very good compliment coming from a Kansas City native. Thanks, folks, especially DT, for the pointers. This is an excellent thread, even though it is dedicated to an inferior animal/meat.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  13. #673
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    51,753

    Default

    Cowboy, why didn't your hired help simply set the radio on the hood or roof of the truck??
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  14. #674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Cowboy, why didn't your hired help simply set the radio on the hood or roof of the truck??
    The cord wasn't long enough, and they didn't have an extension cord.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  15. #675
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    51,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    The cord wasn't long enough, and they didn't have an extension cord.
    another option would have been to take 2 minutes and move the truck over a few feet
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  16. #676

    Default

    That pork looks delicious. You ever consider raising hogs?

  17. #677
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    That pork looks delicious. You ever consider raising hogs?
    I don't think the View from your office thread would be enhanced by such a move.

  18. #678

    Default

    I hope some of you seasoned cookers are on here right now. What is the coolest internal temp at which I can pull a Boston Butt? I'm at 180, temp is stalled and we are supposed to be eating in an hour. I assume 185 is okay, while not ideal, but would 180-182 work?

  19. #679

    Default

    Yup, you'll be safe. You could crank up the temp on the smoker a little though.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  20. #680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Yup, you'll be safe. You could crank up the temp on the smoker a little though.
    Great. Will do. thanks

  21. #681
    The Dude Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    30,166

    Default

    You have learned rule #1 of smoking butts, SMR. Everybody does that once or twice.

    How did it turn out?
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  22. #682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You have learned rule #1 of smoking butts, SMR. Everybody does that once or twice.

    How did it turn out?
    It turned out okay. Not good enough. Definitely learned a lesson.

  23. #683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    It turned out okay. Not good enough. Definitely learned a lesson.
    Was everyone still raving about how good it was?

  24. #684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Was everyone still raving about how good it was?
    Everybody except my wife and kids who have had much better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •