The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    DDD hit on it but 16 hours means 16 hours before you actually serve the meat, not 16 hours before you start to hold it in a cooler. At the earliest you should have started it at 11pm the night before and of course wrapping the butt does make a difference. If I go 12 hours on the smoke then I can hold it for 4 hours in the cooler or it if goes 11 hours I can hold it 5 hours in the cooler (I generally won't go above 5 hours of holding time). But you live and learn.

Anyway, I'm sure the meat will be tasty. I've usually really liked reheated butt as long as I have a decent slaw and sauce to go with it on the bun.
    The meat was a big hit.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• A kid who works for me posted this on his facebook page. It's from one of the bigger groups we did this summer, but I'm not sure which one. I cropped him out of it, but saved his belt buckle for you.

sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• We have a monthly potluck in our ward. I did another pork butt (started at 2:00 am, but it was a cold windy night, so the coals only lasted around 6 hours. I wrapped and finished in the oven with a very small amount of apple juice. It was a hit, and a lot of the guys in the ward are starting to ask about smokers. I mostly tell them to start with a traeger, even though I'm really starting to enjoy my WSM.

I think I've mentioned this before, but for those of you who have multiple cooking tiers, I made some killer beans to go with the pulled pork.

In a foil pan below my pork butt, I put:
        3 cans of Bush's Baked Beans--Honey flavor, and
        ~10 ounces of apple juice (stir it up before you put it on)

They were lights out. I stirred mine when I took the butt off the smoke, then every three or four hours thereafter. I saved around 5 oz. of the juice that rendered off the butt into the foil after wrapping, and added it for moisture/flavor, and man they were good. I kept them covered in the oven (I poked a small hole in the top of the foil because I didn't want condensation to water out the rich, smoky flavor) while the butt finished.

Beans from scratch are a PITA, and straight from the can just doesn't cut it. This is a good in-between.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I'm smoking 2 cases of pork butt this weekend. I am trying Oakridge BBQ's Competition Beef and Pork rub. I have never used this rub, but I havnt been disappointed by any of their offerings yet, so hope it goes well.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• I put these on at 7am @ 225 deg. They're right about 155-160 right now. Think I'm going to foil them in a few minutes to help speed things along.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Fixing yourself a small snack?
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Fixing yourself a small snack?
                No kidding. Who would own a smoker that big?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Fixing yourself a small snack?
                  I agreed to smoke pork butt for my aunt's ward Christmas party. Last year it was tri-tip for 150 peeps, and that was a pain. At least this year I can get it all done ahead of time and give it to them frozen for them to reheat at the time of the party. I still have 6 more butts to smoke for them, but I can do that next weekend. I could have fit them all in there, but I didn't want to overload the smoker. It creates quite the hot spot near the bottom of the smoker if there is too much meat on there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    No kidding. Who would own a smoker that big?
                    Ha! We need a second. No kidding.

Comment

• That is a beautiful sight. Where do you buy your butts?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        That is a beautiful sight. Where do you buy your butts?
                        Sams Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                          Joseph Smith's Sams Club.
                          When I want extra butt, this is where I go.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            When I want extra butt, this is where I go.
                            way to bump a great thread with an awful joke
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                way to bump a great thread with an awful joke
                                I apologize to CS in general for my ill-timed humor, and ill-received jokes. Sometimes I ignore the little voice that says... don't do it.

Harry Tic would have like it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X