Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The Pulled Pork Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
    this.

this.
    Pork Tease
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

this.
    Fair enough. Jerkface.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

how is the flavor with EVOO on the bark?

I cook my steak with a slight coating of evoo and some beef rub and they taste delish. Seems like everyone wants to drown their steak in butter because ruth's chris does it. I like the results with evoo better.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    a raging grease fire in a smoker?? how did that happen?
    I've done it. For a Super Bowl party I smoked a butt, a brisket, added wings and ABT's. When I pulled those off I upped the temp to 550 and added some Lou Malnati's pizzas. Lets just same those pizzas got a bit charred.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    how is the flavor with EVOO on the bark?

I cook my steak with a slight coating of evoo and some beef rub and they taste delish. Seems like everyone wants to drown their steak in butter because ruth's chris does it. I like the results with evoo better.
    I've found that EVOO blocked the penetration of smoke, or at least greatly reduced the smoke ring, so I try not to coat it with anything.
    A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else. ~ Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Fair enough. Jerkface.
    try asking him about his ribs!
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    try asking him about his ribs!
    Totally forgot.
    A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else. ~ Steve Prefontaine

I'm trying hot and fast for the first time today. I also tried mustard instead of peanut oil for the rub adhesive. I'll post pics if it turns out well.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Clear eyes. Full hearts. Surfah's Avatar

Gidget invited a family from our hood over for dinner. She wanted pulled pork. So I picked up a Costco two pack. I went for the largest they had and it was about 14 lbs. When I opened the pack to prep them one of the shoulders was half the size of the others. I couldn't tell in the pack. Every other time they are within a lb of each other. This time one is closer to 9-10 lbs and the other 4-5. I was pretty pissed because I only have one probe and would be having to monitor two different shoulders through the night. Anyway, I did the smaller with Cowtown Squeal since I haven't tried it yet and the larger one with Lambert's Sweet Rub of Mine. I really like the Lambert's rub. They were Memphis in May Grand Champs last year and won pork butt. It is sweet with a bit of spice. Great balance if someone is looking for a good pork rub. It's good on ribs too.

Because of the crazy cold weather we have had I was worried how the Traeger would do in single degree temps with a bit of wind. Concerned it would be a long burn I put them on at midnight at 225. The smaller shoulder is already done. I was hoping not to wrap because the bark looked good, but because it finished so fast I had no other option. So it is in the cooler right now. My other one is almost to temp too. Another degree or two and I will pull it. Again, I was hoping to just keep it in a foil tent to preserve the bark in a warm oven to rest, but I think it will just dry out before dinner tonight so I will have to FTC it too. Ugh.

I will say I was surprised at how well my Traeger maintained temps throughout the night without any sort of insulation. It seemed to fluctuate between 218-235. That's a big swing but given the weather I was impressed. I had icicles off the cover when I removed it last night to start it up.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I forgot to take some. It is so cold I just wanted to get them wrapped asap. I'll take some when I pull. I'm surprised by the quick cook. Less than ten hours for the big one.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I'm trying hot and fast for the first time today. I also tried mustard instead of peanut oil for the rub adhesive. I'll post pics if it turns out well.
    I forgot to take pictures, but here's what I did:

• Put the butts on at 375F degrees
    • Smoke for 3 hours
    • Foil
    • Cook for another 1.5 to 2 hours until the desired temp/tenderness is reached
    • Hold in 180F degree oven for another hour

I missed the mark a bit with my final temp - I was reading 208F to 210F - which I think caused the pork to be a bit drier than usual. The bark was the best I've ever made. Overall, it was a B+ cook, which isn't bad. I'll do this again if I'm in a pinch.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

I NEED HELP!

My niece is getting married in March, and my mom just called and asked if I could provide pulled pork for the main reception. The problem - my BiL comes from a HUGE family in the Rexburg area - he is one of 9 kids, and both his parents came from similarly sized families. He has dozens of cousins, and when you count kids of cousins - my niece's second cousins - you're into the hundreds. They're thinking they might have 250 "family members" at the reception, plus 50 or so friends of the bride and groom or parents. To me, that is insanity on stilts...

Anyway, how much pulled pork do you need to feed 300 people? I'm guessing it's a proverbial shitload...

I've got a big Texas offset smoker that can handle two and a half or three whole shoulders at a time (five or six big chunks of meat). I've also got an electric smoker that I know can do two shoulders at once, and a big green egg (XL) that can handle one more. So in theory, I could probably smoke 5 or 6 de-boned shoulders at a time, with the electric smoker being really easy to manage, the egg being pretty easy, and the offset smoker a pain in the butt to manage (it works perfectly and predictably in the summer, but in what I have to assume will be winter weather, it's a bitc# to keep the temperature narrowly regulated). How many shoulders will 300 people eat?

I just may have to go drop a couple grand on one of those smoker trailers...

Quote Originally Posted by statman View Post
    I NEED HELP!

My niece is getting married in March, and my mom just called and asked if I could provide pulled pork for the main reception. The problem - my BiL comes from a HUGE family in the Rexburg area - he is one of 9 kids, and both his parents came from similarly sized families. He has dozens of cousins, and when you count kids of cousins - my niece's second cousins - you're into the hundreds. They're thinking they might have 250 "family members" at the reception, plus 50 or so friends of the bride and groom or parents. To me, that is insanity on stilts...

Anyway, how much pulled pork do you need to feed 300 people? I'm guessing it's a proverbial shitload...

I've got a big Texas offset smoker that can handle two and a half or three whole shoulders at a time (five or six big chunks of meat). I've also got an electric smoker that I know can do two shoulders at once, and a big green egg (XL) that can handle one more. So in theory, I could probably smoke 5 or 6 de-boned shoulders at a time, with the electric smoker being really easy to manage, the egg being pretty easy, and the offset smoker a pain in the butt to manage (it works perfectly and predictably in the summer, but in what I have to assume will be winter weather, it's a bitc# to keep the temperature narrowly regulated). How many shoulders will 300 people eat?

You are a kind soul to even consider.

I NEED HELP!

Count on 4 oz (cooked) per person. Figure on about 30% shrinkage from the uncooked weight. Then add a little for good measure.

You can pre-cook and vacuum seal the pork. Then boil the sealed package to warm up.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Count on 4 oz (cooked) per person. Figure on about 30% shrinkage from the uncooked weight. Then add a little for good measure.

You can pre-cook and vacuum seal the pork. Then boil the sealed package to warm up.
    No - he needs to buy the smoker trailer.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

A very good recommendation. I won't even have to buy the vacuum sealer! But I would kinda like the trailer...

The FMCoug as ward/stake pitmaster thing is getting out of hand. Doing pulled pork for 120 for this Saturday night. I'm going to be out of town so doing it all ahead of time. 9 butts total. Had to do them in two batches, even using the UDS (I can do 5-6 at a time in there).

I'm about ready to upgrade to a commercial size pellet smoker. Pelletheads has a forum with DIY builds using the SmokeDaddy kit. Pretty cool.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

9 butts for 120 people? there will be leftovers!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Pre-Historic Man

A very good recommendation. I won't even have to buy the vacuum sealer! But I would kinda like the trailer...
    You made me hungry. What did you end up doing? Did you buy the smoker trailer or go the easy way out?

This stall is lasting forever.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    This stall is lasting forever.
    Same. I put a 7lb boneless butt on my WSM at 3:30 am. It's been at 165 for two hours now.

Guests coming at 6pm, so I still have some time, but I'm starting to get anxious.

Do I keep temp constant or up it a little?
    "That John Denver is full of [it] man"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Same. I put a 7lb boneless butt on my WSM at 3:30 am. It's been at 165 for two hours now.

Guests coming at 6pm, so I still have some time, but I'm starting to get anxious.

I put an 8-lb roast on at 4 am. Currently at ~190 degrees.

I put an 8-lb roast on at 4 am. Currently at ~190 degrees.
    This is what is so weird about pork butts. I've had them take 8 hours or 14 for similar sizes.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

You should be fine but wrap it in foil if you are worried.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    This is what is so weird about pork butts. I've had them take 8 hours or 14 for similar sizes.
    I buy the boneless butts at Costco and I rarely get much variation.

Hitting a stall with a blade in shoulder. 7lbs and went on at 5am. I think I am going to have to foil.
    -Turtle

I buy the boneless butts at Costco and I rarely get much variation.
    I've only to page 12 on this thread, but do you mop it?
    "That John Denver is full of [it] man"

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Hitting a stall with a blade in shoulder. 7lbs and went on at 5am. I think I am going to have to foil.
    The stall is normal. The issue is how long it lasts.