No announcement yet.

The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That pork looks delicious. You ever consider raising hogs?

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      That pork looks delicious. You ever consider raising hogs?
      I don't think the View from your office thread would be enhanced by such a move.

Comment

• I hope some of you seasoned cookers are on here right now. What is the coolest internal temp at which I can pull a Boston Butt? I'm at 180, temp is stalled and we are supposed to be eating in an hour. I assume 185 is okay, while not ideal, but would 180-182 work?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Yup, you'll be safe. You could crank up the temp on the smoker a little though.
          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            Yup, you'll be safe. You could crank up the temp on the smoker a little though.
            Great. Will do. thanks
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• You have learned rule #1 of smoking butts, SMR. Everybody does that once or twice.

How did it turn out?
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You have learned rule #1 of smoking butts, SMR. Everybody does that once or twice.

How did it turn out?
                It turned out okay. Not good enough. Definitely learned a lesson.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  It turned out okay. Not good enough. Definitely learned a lesson.
                  Was everyone still raving about how good it was?

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                    Was everyone still raving about how good it was?
                    Everybody except my wife and kids who have had much better.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• I have a neighbor who runs an organic farm. She also raises pigs and today she brought by some "pork roasts" that she wants me to smoke for a big gathering she's having where she's serving exclusively local food. A couple of questions: 1) what do you think a "pork roast" is? That's how it was labeled by the butcher, and it's frozen and I haven't unwrapped it to see what it looks like. I don't think it's a butt from the outside look of it. Do you think I can still smoke it and pull it in the same way? 2) her dinner isn't until Monday. I'm leaving out of town Saturday, so I'd have to cook it up Friday. I told her this and she said, "that's ok, it will keep in the fridge or freezer--I'll figure something out." Is that a good idea? I've had next day, even two days out, and it's still good, but three days? 3) she's planning on feeding about twenty adults and the kids who go with them. She brought me about 15-16 lbs of meat. She has more but I told her to hold off until I was sure this was a good idea. Is that enough?
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I have a neighbor who runs an organic farm. She also raises pigs and today she brought by some "pork roasts" that she wants me to smoke for a big gathering she's having where she's serving exclusively local food. A couple of questions: 1) what do you think a "pork roast" is? That's how it was labeled by the butcher, and it's frozen and I haven't unwrapped it to see what it looks like. I don't think it's a butt from the outside look of it. Do you think I can still smoke it and pull it in the same way? 2) her dinner isn't until Monday. I'm leaving out of town Saturday, so I'd have to cook it up Friday. I told her this and she said, "that's ok, it will keep in the fridge or freezer--I'll figure something out." Is that a good idea? I've had next day, even two days out, and it's still good, but three days? 3) she's planning on feeding about twenty adults and the kids who go with them. She brought me about 15-16 lbs of meat. She has more but I told her to hold off until I was sure this was a good idea. Is that enough?
                        Probably a tenderloin if I had to guess.

Comment

I have a neighbor who runs an organic farm. She also raises pigs and today she brought by some "pork roasts" that she wants me to smoke for a big gathering she's having where she's serving exclusively local food. A couple of questions: 1) what do you think a "pork roast" is? That's how it was labeled by the butcher, and it's frozen and I haven't unwrapped it to see what it looks like. I don't think it's a butt from the outside look of it. Do you think I can still smoke it and pull it in the same way? 2) her dinner isn't until Monday. I'm leaving out of town Saturday, so I'd have to cook it up Friday. I told her this and she said, "that's ok, it will keep in the fridge or freezer--I'll figure something out." Is that a good idea? I've had next day, even two days out, and it's still good, but three days? 3) she's planning on feeding about twenty adults and the kids who go with them. She brought me about 15-16 lbs of meat. She has more but I told her to hold off until I was sure this was a good idea. Is that enough?
                          I'm guessing they are pork loin roasts. They will pull apart like a shoulder when they are cooked properly. Pork loin roasts are long and on the skinny side compared to a butt or shoulder roast, so they will definitely cook a bit faster. Now I'll bow out an let the smoker cult share their thoughts on how they will smoke up.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• you can tell if it is a tenderloin from its tubular shape.

are you sure it isnt a shoulder? No offense but you couldnt tell the difference between a flat and a full packer brisket.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              you can tell if it is a tenderloin from its tubular shape.

are you sure it isnt a shoulder? No offense but you couldnt tell the difference between a flat and a full packer brisket.
                              For ER's future reference, here is a tenderloin:

IMG_3683.jpg

and here is a loin roast:

IMG_3733.jpg
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• No, I'm not sure it's not a shoulder, a hole. the shape just doesn't seem right.

Here are a few pics:

It looks to thick to be a loin (going off the internet here), and too big to be a shoulder without any scapula that I can see.
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X