No announcement yet.

Android apps - reviews and suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on Verizon, and on a whim, stopped by a store and traded in my BB. I told the guy behind the counter that I don't follow phones much, but I just want the latest and greatest, with price not being a consideration. He set me up with a Incredible 4G LTE. He said it came out 4 weeks ago and is a great phone.

Question: Are phones like golf clubs, where they all pretty much do the same thing once you reach a certain level? Or is there always one that is a "must have" standard? The phone seems great compared to what I had, but I'm looking to my fellow cufers for reassurance and comfort, or upgrade while I can.

Thanks.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      I'm on Verizon, and on a whim, stopped by a store and traded in my BB. I told the guy behind the counter that I don't follow phones much, but I just want the latest and greatest, with price not being a consideration. He set me up with a Incredible 4G LTE. He said it came out 4 weeks ago and is a great phone.

Question: Are phones like golf clubs, where they all pretty much do the same thing once you reach a certain level? Or is there always one that is a "must have" standard? The phone seems great compared to what I had, but I'm looking to my fellow cufers for reassurance and comfort, or upgrade while I can.

Thanks.
      He gave you the third best phone available. Both the GSIII and Galaxy Nexus are better.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        He gave you the third best phone available. Both the GSIII and Galaxy Nexus are better.

Thanks... I wish I felt better about my ill informed purchase. I like the phone plenty enough, but what great thrills am I missing out on? I fear the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          Thanks... I wish I felt better about my ill informed purchase. I like the phone plenty enough, but what great thrills am I missing out on? I fear the unknown.
          Better hardware and larger screen.

As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
            Better hardware and larger screen.

Well... as I was still within my 14 day love it or return it allowance period, I went and got a Galaxy sIII. Boy.... am I glad I did. It took about 30 seconds to realize a huge difference, and the call clarity is 5 times better than the Incredible.

Thanks for the quick tip, and I'm now set for the next 2 years.
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I need to record some lengthy conversations with clients in the near future. I'd like to use the Voice Recorder app instead of using a dedicated digital recorder--the app seems to be good quality and easy to use. Does anybody (i.e. Surfah or camleish but probably not TripDad ) know the time limit for the recordings? Thx.

Edit: This is for the Voice Recorder app that came pre-installed on my Galaxy S3.
              Last edited by Lost Student; 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM.
              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

it's dependent on free memory, usually. make sure you get an app that can record to sd, and that you have as much space as possible free on the card.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                  I need to record some lengthy conversations with clients in the near future. I'd like to use the Voice Recorder app instead of using a dedicated digital recorder--the app seems to be good quality and easy to use. Does anybody (i.e. Surfah) know the time limit for the recordings? Thx.
                  Your reference to "anybody" was initially vague and confusing, but using Surfah as an example of somebody really helped clear that up. Thanks.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    it's dependent on free memory, usually. make sure you get an app that can record to sd, and that you have as much space as possible free on the card.
                    Thanks. The Voice Recorder app that came with my phone (Galaxy S3) seems to provide the option of a memory card, but my phone has 10GB free, so I assume that I won't run out of room anytime soon.

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Your reference to "anybody" was initially vague and confusing, but using Surfah as an example of somebody really helped clear that up. Thanks.
                    Well, I certainly don't like being vague or confusing. I'm glad I could clear it up.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                      I need to record some lengthy conversations with clients in the near future. I'd like to use the Voice Recorder app instead of using a dedicated digital recorder--the app seems to be good quality and easy to use. Does anybody (i.e. Surfah or camleish but probably not TripDad ) know the time limit for the recordings? Thx.

Edit: This is for the Voice Recorder app that came pre-installed on my Galaxy S3.
                      I have only used the Voice Recorder app on the S3 and as Cam said the file size or recording length is dependent on how much storage you have. In the settings menu of the app you can change the storage location. It defaults to phone but can be set to SD Card.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I took advantage of Verizon's two-for-one deal and upgraded from my Galaxy S3 to the S5. It is getting shipped and should get here tomorrow.

In a surprising move, my wife switched from her old iPhone to an s5 and has been playing with it since Saturday. I think she's happy with it so far. However, she found out that of her close friends, they all have iPhones and none have unlimited text plans. Now that she is sending SMS texts (instead of texts via iMessage), they are apparently getting charged for texting with my wife. Is there a solution here besides convincing her friends to switch to WhatsApp or some other universal messaging app? (IOW, is there a Droid app that will integrate with iMessaging?)

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                          I took advantage of Verizon's two-for-one deal and upgraded from my Galaxy S3 to the S5. It is getting shipped and should get here tomorrow.

In a surprising move, my wife switched from her old iPhone to an s5 and has been playing with it since Saturday. I think she's happy with it so far. However, she found out that of her close friends, they all have iPhones and none have unlimited text plans. Now that she is sending SMS texts (instead of texts via iMessage), they are apparently getting charged for texting with my wife. Is there a solution here besides convincing her friends to switch to WhatsApp or some other universal messaging app? (IOW, is there a Droid app that will integrate with iMessaging?)
                          Have her make new friends.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

As with most tech innovations, I assume I'm one of the last to be aware of this, but my younger son sent me a Google Cardboard device for Father's Day. My first reaction was that it was simply a way to convert your phone into Viewmaster, but it's more interesting than that. Last night I took a brief tour of Versailles, complete with audio, As you stand and move around, you can see a room from all angles including floor and ceiling) while the guide points out various things. It's a cheap and certainly more simple alternative to an Oculus Rift (not to mention it's actually available now), but for a tech simpleton like me, it's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              As with most tech innovations, I assume I'm one of the last to be aware of this, but my younger son sent me a Google Cardboard device for Father's Day. My first reaction was that it was simply a way to convert your phone into Viewmaster, but it's more interesting than that. Last night I took a brief tour of Versailles, complete with audio, As you stand and move around, you can see a room from all angles including floor and ceiling) while the guide points out various things. It's a cheap and certainly more simple alternative to an Oculus Rift (not to mention it's actually available now), but for a tech simpleton like me, it's pretty cool.
                              You were actually more correct than you think:

http://www.view-master.com/en-us

I'll probably get this for Christmas for my kids (supposed to be released in the fall).

Comment

Is there a task manager equivalent app for Android to troubleshoot what's slowing my phone down?

Comment

Working...
                                X