No announcement yet.

Water Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anything that can be done to keep your fingernails from weakening when you're swimming every day? Mine are splitting and soft ever since I started swimming.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Paint your nails with a clear coat.
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Is there anything that can be done to keep your fingernails from weakening when you're swimming every day? Mine are splitting and soft ever since I started swimming.
        I don't know. Clear coat that FN said or possibly eating gelatin in some way. How long are you in the water? So you have some major "Grandma Hands" as my kids call them after they take a bath.

Comment

I swam all 17 lengths this morning. My arms feel like they don't belong to me. But, I can do it!
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I swam all 17 lengths this morning. My arms feel like they don't belong to me. But, I can do it!
            Great work, Wuap. I've been curious if you're keeping it up and making progress. Clearly, you are. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I don't know. Clear coat that FN said or possibly eating gelatin in some way. How long are you in the water? So you have some major "Grandma Hands" as my kids call them after they take a bath.
              Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
              I just saw this. I think I'll try it. I started taking a multi-vitamin, and they seem a little better, but I think I'll try the clear coat.

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Great work, Wuap. I've been curious if you're keeping it up and making progress. Clearly, you are. Nice.
              Thanks. I bought some nice googles (ones that fit my head properly are never cheap--I have a size 8 1/8 head), and now I'm swimming with my face in the water. This gives me a better angle, and I'm able to see where I'm going.

I've also finally figured out how to do the breaststroke (not that, sickos) properly, by watching other people do it (see above) underwater with the goggles. I actually think I prefer it to other strokes, though it wears me out faster. According to this website, I burned 600 calories in the 30 or so minutes it took me to swim.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links...calculator.htm

Comment

Nice going wuap. Still one of the best things about this site is to see someone become more fit and the inspiration a person receives.
                Last edited by RC Vikings; 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  Nice going wuap. Still one of the best things about this site is to see someone become more fit and the inspiration a person receives.
                  Thanks, I did it again this morning. I was so sore over the weekend (the backs of my legs) that I decided I need to just make this my new workout because I don't want to be sore if I do it only once a week.

But, swimming with my face in the water is KICKING MY ASS. I swim faster, but it takes me a good 15 mins longer to swim the same distance I was swimming/jogging before. And, my chinups and pullups take a lot more out of me to do them the right way. I'm hoping that in a month I'm going to feel back to where I was before I switched gears. Though, at my size, it might take two.

We need to get that fitness challenge up and running. My team will win.

Comment

I went to see my physician this morning and the news was very good. I'm not diabetic, first and foremost, which was my big worry. The other symptoms of metabolic syndrome are also retreating back towards normal. For example, my bp was 104/44. It has been in that range for about two months, so he's dialing back my bp medicine by 50% to see what happens. (yes, doctorcoug, I have a quality bp cuff at home that I use to monitor).

I swim at least a mile each week now, and I'm doing about 200 chinups and 100 pullups (in the water) each week too. I lift my body out of the water up to my belly button, so I figure I'm lifting at least 200 lbs, if not 250, out of the water each time.

I feel fitter, happier, and more productive.

Comment

I went to see my physician this morning and the news was very good. I'm not diabetic, first and foremost, which was my big worry. The other symptoms of metabolic syndrome are also retreating back towards normal. For example, my bp was 104/44. It has been in that range for about two months, so he's dialing back my bp medicine by 50% to see what happens. (yes, doctorcoug, I have a quality bp cuff at home that I use to monitor).

I swim at least a mile each week now, and I'm doing about 200 chinups and 100 pullups (in the water) each week too. I lift my body out of the water up to my belly button, so I figure I'm lifting at least 200 lbs, if not 250, out of the water each time.

Keep it up wuap. Sounds like you are doing well. There's almost no better feeling than completing a tough workout.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Wuap inspired me to get my ass in the pool. Until two weeks ago, I'd been playing basketball three times a week and volleyball once per week. I am over three bills, so my knees were taking a beating. I haven't been able to walk up or down stairs without severe discomfort the last two weeks, so I switched gears. My quads are weak, so I'm targeting those, and then I spent last night in the pool. Swimming laps is boring as hell, so I mixed it up. I did freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke; if I got bored, I'd run from one side to the other and back (on the way back, you'd get a pretty gnarly headcurrent), and I even did legs only for a few laps (that sucked).

Anyway, I hope in thirty lbs or so I'll be able to get back on the court for basketball and volleyball, bu we'll see.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Comfortable
                          not drinking too much
                          regular exercise at the gym (3 days a week)
                          getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
                          at ease
                          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                            I used to do this when I played ball.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              Wuap inspired me to get my ass in the pool. Until two weeks ago, I'd been playing basketball three times a week and volleyball once per week. I am over three bills, so my knees were taking a beating. I haven't been able to walk up or down stairs without severe discomfort the last two weeks, so I switched gears. My quads are weak, so I'm targeting those, and then I spent last night in the pool. Swimming laps is boring as hell, so I mixed it up. I did freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke; if I got bored, I'd run from one side to the other and back (on the way back, you'd get a pretty gnarly headcurrent), and I even did legs only for a few laps (that sucked).

Anyway, I hope in thirty lbs or so I'll be able to get back on the court for basketball and volleyball, bu we'll see.
                              Cool, man. I'm actually taking the family to the pool this very moment.

Comment

I don't know, but no way water going for walks melts 1500 calorie consumption in an time. Now the speed is going to make a big change as to the quantity of calorie consumption expended.

Comment

Working...
                                X