Water Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Walking

Does anyone know about how many calories a 400 lb man would burn walking/ sometimes swimming a mile in an indoor pool?

Calories Burned
    Water-walking or jogging burns 563 calories per hour if you weigh 155 pounds, and 654 calories an hour if you weigh 180 pounds. Water-running burns 11.5 calories per minute in comparison with running on land, which burns about 8 calories per minute, according to The Sunday Times.
    If I do the math, which I'm not very good at, it seems like a 16% increase in weight causes a 16% increase in calories burned. So if 155 x 2.7 = 418.5, does that mean that 563 x 2.7 = 1520 calories burned?

That can't be right. There's no way they caloric usage increases at the same rate as body mass.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. Wouldn't water walking be easier on a heavy guy than regular walking compared to the skinny guy? The weight is not going to have the same effect due to the buoyancy. Though I suppose the additional mass may increase the resistance of the water.
    So, I don't know, but no way water walking burns 1500 calories in an hour. Now the pace is going to make a big difference as to the amount of calories burned.

Comment

This website shows an hour of water aerobics for someone 400 pounds burns 720calories. I think that is more accurate, even though you are walking and not doing aerobics I am guessing it is similar.

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi

30 minutes of foreplay and 30 minutes of intercourse burns about 564 calories so you may be better off going that route.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        This website shows an hour of water aerobics for someone 400 pounds burns 720calories. I think that is more accurate, even though you are walking and not doing aerobics I am guessing it is similar.

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi

30 minutes of foreplay and 30 minutes of intercourse burns about 564 calories so you may be better off going that route.
        The gym is open 24 hours.
        I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Does anyone know about how many calories a 400 lb man would burn walking/ sometimes swimming a mile in an indoor pool?

If I do the math, which I'm not very good at, it seems like a 16% increase in weight causes a 16% increase in calories burned. So if 155 x 2.7 = 418.5, does that mean that 563 x 2.7 = 1520 calories burned?

That can't be right. There's no way they caloric usage increases at the same rate as body mass.
          You burn about .8 calories per pound per mile running on land (320 calories/mile for a 400-lb man). According to the livestrong paragraph you quoted, walking/jogging in water burns roughly 1.44 times as many calories as running on land (11.5/8). Therefore, I would guess you would burn 460 calories per mile walked in the water.
          sigpic
          "Outlined against a blue, gray
          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

I've been doing that for years and it's not enough.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Are you sure you're doing it right?
              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                Are you sure you're doing it right?
                I'm well read on the subject.

Comment

I thought this was going to be a thread about Jesus
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

One hand can only burn so many calories.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                      I thought this was going to be a thread about Jesus
                      I thought it was going to be about me

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        One hand can only burn so many calories.
                        I have to use both.

Comment

I have to use both.
                          can of cheese in one hand?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            can of cheese in one hand?
                            No, I find it more comfortable to read by holding a book with both of my hands. If you make another masturbation joke, I'm going to make a mom joke.

Comment

So, an update. I'm going strong on my exercise routine. I complete 17 lengths of the 25 meter pool every weekday. When I first started, I could only swim 2 entire lengths + the deep end swimming. Now, I can do 5 (3 freestyle, 1 back, 1 fat-man breaststroke), and I swim a good 3-4 strokes into the shallow part each time before starting the water-jogging. I no longer walk.

I've also started pulling myself out of the pool by grabbing onto the bars below the diving platforms. When I started it was all I could do to pull my chin up to the top bar (my bellybutton is out of the water when I do that move) 8 times. This morning I did 13. On the lower bar, I could only do 10 tops when I started. This morning I did 30, cooled down, and did 10 more until my arms would no longer respond to my brain's orders. I've got tennis balls in my arms again like when I played football. My calves are defined now and if I flex them you can see all of the muscles. My suit pants fit very well, and I'm much more comfortable in my own skin. I'm wearing shirts that I haven't worn in years. My blood pressure is sometimes 95/60. I go in for a checkup in July. By then, if this pattern continues, I might come off half the pills I'm on.

When I first started, my heartbeat was 17-18 beats per 5 seconds. Now, it's 11-14 depending on how hard I push myself. I've lost 30 lbs, and I'm going to have to buy new swimsuits. All three of mine are tied as tight as I can get them, and this morning one of them was at my knees by the time I finished swimming a length.

Someone who's not related to me asked me yesterday if I'd lost weight. I blushed--I've not gotten that question very often.

It's Friday, everything's in bloom, I'm in love, and the weather is perfect. Peace and love to all God's children.

Mac

Comment

Working...
                              X