Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
    Give it a rest.
    Too close to home? You don't seem to have a problem pointing out the rare problems associated with drinking; why not also point out the far more common problems associated with obesity?

The WoW, if actually followed as written instead of as bastardized by recent church admins, is a pretty decent guide to follow, perhaps even ahead of its time. It's a shame what's happened to it. I almost wonder if the church leadership realizes that the wrong aspects of it have been emphasized, but are now locked into it in order to preserve the revelatory facade. Sounds familiar...

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
      Too close to home? You don't seem to have a problem pointing out the rare problems associated with drinking; why not also point out the far more common problems associated with obesity?

The WoW, if actually followed as written instead of as bastardized by recent church admins, is a pretty decent guide to follow, perhaps even ahead of its time. It's a shame what's happened to it. I almost wonder if the church leadership realizes that the wrong aspects of it have been emphasized, but are now locked into it in order to preserve the revelatory facade. Sounds familiar...
      100% agreed. I usually defend my brother, but not this time. His pictures were obnoxious. SU went easy on him.

I have a lot of sympathy for those who struggle with obesity, but DC is excluded from this. He was a world-class runner.
      Last edited by Viking; 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Yes. Unless you're an alcoholic even complete abstension is not reasonable moderation. Afterall, alcohol in moderation has been found to have various salutory effects; there are beneficial social rituals borganized around alcohol. As I noted, in antiquity beer was a staple that got the Euro tribes through the lean winters. Liquid bread. Talking about esphogeal cancer or liver diseases is quite juvenile.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Yes. Unless you're an alcoholic even complete abstension is not reasonable moderation. Afterall, alcohol in moderation has been found to have various salutory effects; there are beneficial social rituals borganized around alcohol. As I noted, in antiquity beer was a staple that got the Euro tribes through the lean winters. Liquid bread. Talking about esphogeal cancer or liver diseases is quite juvenile.
          Drinking in moderation makes me money.

It's a business ritual that has no match. Golf doesn't even come close to the value of an occasional drink with a potential client, business associate, etc.

Comment

I would also submit that when calculating the health effects of alcohol, one must consider the alternatives. Without alcohol, there seems to be more stress, more anti-depressant prescriptions, and perhaps even more compensatory eating (due to the dopamine rush one gets from eating certain foods, simple carbs in particular), not to mention the significant health benefits of having open communication with friends, which alcohol facilitates. That alcohol has been found in a vacuum to have some health benefits doesn't even tell most of the story, I would say.

The attitude toward alcohol among mormons is predictable, as of course the problems are emphasized. It's important to construct a reason other than "god said no" for avoiding such an important part of the human experience.

Comment

I would also submit that when calculating the health effects of alcohol, one must consider the alternatives. Without alcohol, there seems to be more stress, more anti-depressant prescriptions, and perhaps even more compensatory eating (due to the dopamine rush one gets from eating certain foods, simple carbs in particular), not to mention the significant health benefits of having open communication with friends, which alcohol facilitates. That alcohol has been found in a vacuum to have some health benefits doesn't even tell most of the story, I would say.

The attitude toward alcohol among mormons is predictable, as of course the problems are emphasized. It's important to construct a reason other than "god said no" for avoiding such an important part of the human experience.
              Clueless's grandmother couldn't sleep after her first set of chemo years ago. She went to her doctor for sleeping pills. He was concerned with the volume of medication she already had to take to try to keep her in remission and instead suggested she drink a glass of wine before bed. She stated she was Mormon and couldn't. The doc offered to write a prescription for wine, which she accepted.

It amazes me that a temple-going LDS will take a hypnotic, mind-altering drug such as Ambien, but won't consider substituting that for fermented grape juice.

Comment

I had no idea that you guys would get so worked up over this.

I was trolling and it obviously offended some, that's why I said to give it a rest, not because you struck a cord about obesity, but because my fun wasn't taken by others as fun.

I'm not so mullah over these things. I have never approached my brothers about their drinking or beliefs, because it isn't my business. However, I joke all the time about etoh with my colleagues. It is ok cause they know it's harmless...I'm their DD and i don't judge them.

So, just chill. I was playing and meant no harm.
                "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

You are understating the importance of beer in mideval times. Water was unsafe to drink and so beer was often all they drank as it was the most sanitary drink available due to boiling required in the brewing process.
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                    I had no idea that you guys would get so worked up over this.

I was trolling and it obviously offended some, that's why I said to give it a rest, not because you struck a cord about obesity, but because my fun wasn't taken by others as fun.

I'm not so mullah over these things. I have never approached my brothers about their drinking or beliefs, because it isn't my business. However, I joke all the time about etoh with my colleagues. It is ok cause they know it's harmless...I'm their DD and i don't judge them.

So, just chill. I was playing and meant no harm.
                    This is true. I've only heard from our mom that "thank goodness [brother #2]'s ex-wife married a priesthood holder who can replace [brother #2]". To make matters worse, she believes in reinstating fault divorces and allowing step-fathers to adopt their step-children without paternal consent.

So, in comparison, DC is a saint other than his ill-placed pictures in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                      You are understating the importance of beer in mideval times. Water was unsafe to drink and so beer was often all they drank as it was the most sanitary drink available due to boiling required in the brewing process.
                      No, silly. Jesus drank grape juice, not wine!

Comment

I'd jump in here but this thread has become ridiculous.
                        There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                        Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                        And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                          When I used to smoke cigars, I loved a good bourbon with it. My go-to bourbons are Bulleit and Knob Creek. My special occasion bourbon is Booker's.
                          My dads day -to-day Bourbon is Knob Creek or Makers Mark. One glass every night...doctors orders.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                            I'd jump in here but this thread has become ridiculous.
                            As ridiculous as a martini without vermouth (ie. plain chilled vodka/gin)?

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              a martini without vermouth (ie. plain chilled vodka/gin)?
                              Exactly. Yoiu don't know martinis I see.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Exactly. Yoiu don't know martinis I see.
                                If you want to call plain chilled vodka a martini, be my guest. I know that you are not alone in this, and there is nothing shameful about drinking plain vodka, Cossack, but it is my humble opinion that you can't pour a cocktail straight out of a single bottle. That is not a recipe. That is an ingredient.

Face it, you just like to drink vodka, but think it sounds more neat-o to call it a martini. I like to drink plain vodka too. I just don't call it a martini.

Comment

Working...
                                X