Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers

I listen to my music through my Ipod, my car speakers and my computer. Yesterday I put to use my old speakers and the music sounded so deep and rich I forgot what I was missing.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I listen to my music through my Ipod, my car speakers and my computer. Yesterday I put to use my old speakers and the music sounded so deep and rich I forgot what I was missing.
    I love that feeling!

Comment

Speaker question: I upgraded my TV recently and, while I am thrilled with the picture, I don't love the sound. I've decided to pick up a modest sound bar/woofer/satellite speaker combo. I'm looking at this Vizio set, which I've found online for $199. My question is, if I set this system up, will I be limited to controlling its volume with the remote that comes with the system? IOW, is there a way to install it such that the TV volume controls the surround sound volume when it's on? I only ask because I hate having multiple remote controls, but I'm probably still a few years off before I invest in a whole-home entertainment package with a master remote, etc.

Does anyone know?
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Speaker question: I upgraded my TV recently and, while I am thrilled with the picture, I don't love the sound. I've decided to pick up a modest sound bar/woofer/satellite speaker combo. I'm looking at this Vizio set, which I've found online for $199. My question is, if I set this system up, will I be limited to controlling its volume with the remote that comes with the system? IOW, is there a way to install it such that the TV volume controls the surround sound volume when it's on? I only ask because I hate having multiple remote controls, but I'm probably still a few years off before I invest in a whole-home entertainment package with a master remote, etc.

Does anyone know?
          Impossible to say without knowing your TV brand and model. Some devices are starting to come with remotes that can control other devices. Dish Hopper and Joey remotes do this for example.

If it doesn't, you can pick up a universal remote for $20 or so. Won't have all the bells and whistles of something like a Logitech Harmony but for what you're doing you don't need all that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Does anyone know?
            Don't know for sure, but apparently some people got their Vizio soundbars to work with their existing universal remotes (link includes some codes that may or may not be of use to you):

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-B...7#.UvQFWvlSZSI
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
              Impossible to say without knowing your TV brand and model. Some devices are starting to come with remotes that can control other devices. Dish Hopper and Joey remotes do this for example.

If it doesn't, you can pick up a universal remote for $20 or so. Won't have all the bells and whistles of something like a Logitech Harmony but for what you're doing you don't need all that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
              I have Vizio's 2014 E model SmartTV. And I have the Hopper. However, on my prior TV (also a Vizio) I could never get the Dish remote to change inputs on the TV, requiring me to use the Vizio remote for that. I haven't yet programmed my new TV into my Dish remote, but hopefully when I do I can make the soundbar work, too. Thanks.
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              Do those work? Reviews are mixed. My FIL had one and he was always having problems with it. Eventually he gave up and went back to having 5 remotes on his chair.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I have Vizio's 2014 E model SmartTV. And I have the Hopper. However, on my prior TV (also a Vizio) I could never get the Dish remote to change inputs on the TV, requiring me to use the Vizio remote for that. I haven't yet programmed my new TV into my Dish remote, but hopefully when I do I can make the soundbar work, too. Thanks.

Do those work? Reviews are mixed. My FIL had one and he was always having problems with it. Eventually he gave up and went back to having 5 remotes on his chair.
                i don't know, but it would be sweet if it did.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I just bought an LG TV and the picture was fantastic and the sound was terrible. I bought a $200 LG soundbar with wireless subwoofer and it is great! Integrates with the tv so it automatically turns on and off.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I just bought an LG TV and the picture was fantastic and the sound was terrible. I bought a $200 LG soundbar with wireless subwoofer and it is great! Integrates with the tv so it automatically turns on and off.
                    I'm hoping this one will do the same, since it's a new Vizio Smart TV and a Vizio sound bar.

Comment

I just got my whole system hooked up as noted in the media center thread. I am using this guy

It works like a charm. It runs from that base you see there, so the remote transmits to it via some kind of blue tooth and everything shuts on or off in order. The reason I mention the base is because in former iterations you would have to maintain 'eye contact' so to speak between the remote and the various apparati. One button and it flips on my projector, amp, and xbox(it also controls the xbox, which is nice for surfing netflix, too). You can program up to six functions/sequences on the thing- more than enough, I think. Also, you can load the remote onto your phone or tablet, but the simple remote it comes with is extremely easy and effective. And your mom could set it up. I love it.

*I recently talked to an old roommate who picked this up and is a hyper-vigilant technology snob and it won his seal of approval too, which is no mean feat.
                      Last edited by Commando; 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        I just got my whole system hooked up as noted in the media center thread. I am using this guy

It works like a charm. It runs from that base you see there, so the remote transmits to it via some kind of blue tooth and everything shuts on or off in order. The reason I mention the base is because in former iterations you would have to maintain 'eye contact' so to speak between the remote and the various apparati. One button and it flips on my projector, amp, and xbox(it also controls the xbox, which is nice for surfing netflix, too). You can program up to six functions/sequences on the thing- more than enough, I think. Also, you can load the remote onto your phone or tablet, but the simple remote it comes with is extremely easy and effective. And your mom could set it up. I love it.

*I recently talked to an old roommate who picked this up and is a hyper-vigilant technology snob and it won his seal of approval too, which is no mean feat.
                        What are you running with it? Any satellite devices or cable, or did you cut the cord?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          What are you running with it? Any satellite devices or cable, or did you cut the cord?
                          IIRC, Commando hasn't had satellite or cable for a long time. The Harmony has tons of problems with satellite receivers, if the reviews are to be believed.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            I'm cable-free, but it is compatible with any dvr/cable/satellite device. I mean, it can sync to and control a wii for pete's sake.

On another note, the real star of my system is the amp/receiver I have. Everything runs through it; it has 6 HDMI inputs, and right now I just have the Wii U, Xbox 360, and a Chromecast plugged into it (along with a record player). I'm planning on getting a bluray/3D player too, but that's it. The nice thing about it is I have an ethernet cord plugged directly into it and I can surf internet radio, and it's Airplay compatible as well, so I can stream itunes from my laptop or itunes or spotify from my phone. Makes me wish I spent more time listening to music in my livingroom.
                            Last edited by Commando; 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

IIRC, Commando hasn't had satellite or cable for a long time. The Harmony has tons of problems with satellite receivers, if the reviews are to be believed.
                              That may be. You're right- I can't speak too much to that side of things b/c I've been Netflix/hulu/amazon prime for a while now. It seems like more and more apps keep getting released that make cable a non-essential thing. There's even an A&E app on xbox. Sports programming is the last holdout until Comcast goes all Blockbuster on us.

Comment

Working...
                              X