Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    IIRC, Commando hasn't had satellite or cable for a long time. The Harmony has tons of problems with satellite receivers, if the reviews are to be believed.
    I have had mine for 3 years. Works great with my DirecTV HD DVR, Yamaha receiver, and Sony Bluray player. Also love that it is rechargable, so I don't have to worry about AAA batteries on 3 or 4 remotes. If it were to die, I would order another in an instant, my wife would never be able to watch TV or movies in our basement without it.

Comment

Got this all set up tonight, and it automatically integrated with my TV. Works perfectly and sounds great. I spent this morning building a shelf/stand so the sound bar can sit below the TV on my entertainment center. It turned out pretty well, and I was able to match the stain almost perfectly. Note my awesome painting table.
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391927574.849731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391927589.150481.jpg
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Wow. Very nicely done.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Looks nice DH.

Commando I had that harmony phone remote at our old house, I left it when we moved. I'm not a tech snob, but I am a "Things need to work, and work all the time snob" and that item didn't pass the test.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Looks nice DH.

Commando I had that harmony phone remote at our old house, I left it when we moved. I'm not a tech snob, but I am a "Things need to work, and work all the time snob" and that item didn't pass the test.
            Really? What happened?
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Really? What happened?
              App crashed all the time on iPhone and iPad, the remote that came with worked fine but functionality was limited. Very frustrating, I basically didn't watch tv outside of football the last two months on our house. Sadly I was no more productive.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                App crashed all the time on iPhone and iPad, the remote that came with worked fine but functionality was limited. Very frustrating, I basically didn't watch tv outside of football the last two months on our house. Sadly I was no more productive.
                Interesting. I haven't even bothered with the app b/c the remote has worked just fine. But again, I don't have cable or satellite so I am unfamiliar with how functional it is for that application.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Ditch harmony and go with control 4. Nice change of pace and they are local, to boot!
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Technology is so amazing. With a push of a button, my iPad is paired with my new speakers, and I'm sitting here streaming from Spotify in full surround as I browse the internet. Loving this setup.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'll be losing my surround sound when I sell my house next month. I have a Sonos Play 1 that I was hoping to build on, but just took a look at their stuff and just a sound bar and sub would put me back $1400. A friend of ours has their whole house set up with these things. Crazy.

Anyone here have a Sonos system?
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

We moved into a new house, which for audio purposes kind of sucks. We had a smart (at the time ~2007) wired system that sent audio to three different areas, one of which was outdoors. We also had a 5.1 system in the TV room. I loved it, but all of these are staying for the new owner

The 'new' house is older and not wired for anything. I am bringing three sonos speakers, which are in the master bedroom and kitchen/living room area. I don't have any additional audio for the new TV room or outdoor porch. Like Dwight was wondering (in 2015), I am considering building a Sonos system for the TV room. Maybe just starting out with a soundbar and subwoofer to see how that sounds, and then adding 2 One speakers if needed. But I also need to get something for the outdoor patio.

For outdoors, I'm looking at getting the Sonos Connect amp, placing that in the crawl space near the deck, and wiring two outdoor rock speakers to it. Klipsch has some high-rated outdoor rock speakers. Since I'm already wedded to Sonos, I'm thinking this is the best option to keep streaming simple and available to all my speakers. I could get wifi or Bluetooth outdoor speakers, but it looks like most of those would need to be mounted on the outside of my house and need a nearby power outlet. And then I would need to worry about another streaming service option.

Anyone have any experience with Sonos and outdoor speakers? Or outdoor advice in general? And has anyone bought a Sonos TV system since Dwight asked 3 years ago?
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

My DIY plan to install outdoor speakers died a quick death when I visited the local stereo shop. I fell for the Sonarray system. The very helpful salesperson brought over a demo kit and did a quick dirty 'install', so I could hear it at my place. I was blown away. I probably could have built my own system with rock speakers for a grand, but the salesperson also very helpfully gave a companion quote with just two rock speakers. Wouldn't you know it, the Sonarray system was 'only' a grand more than the rock speaker quote. H,L, and S.

You can get Sonarray with either 4 or 8 speakers, plus a subwoofer. We typically congregate on our deck furniture, but there is also a hot tub on the opposite side. So of course the 4.1 system was out of the question!
                          A couple of pics (probably upside down, sorry):
                          IMG_0102.jpg

The dome in the background is the subwoofer, and the one closest is one of 8 speakers. We have 3 speakers and the subwoofer next to our deck furniture. And an additional 5 speakers running the length of our deck. Here's 2 others near our hot tub:
                          IMG_0106.jpg
                          This is still a work in progress. I'd like to plant some ground cover to at least make these speakers blend in with the landscape.

If you get the full system (including the amp), it will set you back ~3,000. I know, real welder money. But we had an older amp sitting around, so that knocked off ~800 from the price. We have a Sonos Connect connected to the amp. We now have 3 stations with Sonos, and it really is the way to go.

If you are an audiophile and want great sound outside, I assure you will be also blown away. There is no sound drop-off anywhere on our deck. Mrs. NWC knows I'm a snob with sound systems, and she jokes that I get a little, um, aroused, outside listening to the system. She's not far off from the truth...

The subwoofer packs a decent punch, which allows us to play it lower and still get great sound. Mrs. NWC walked over to the neighbor and asked if he could hear it. At ~75% volume, he could hear it while he was outside. So it does a nice job of concentrating the sound to your house.

Check it out:
                          http://www.sonance.com/outdoor/sonarray/sonarray
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Installed Sonance speakers in the entertainment room we built a few years back (with an RBH sub)... great choice.

We have two sets of wall-mounted speakers just outside the patio doors on our main floor and the doors that open to our deck on the 2nd floor, but the sound doesn't carry around to the side of the house where we have our in-ground tramp and a firepit/seating area (that we are installing this summer). I'm digging up a trench to pull some landscape lighting wire over to this new area and your project makes me think about dropping some speaker wire in the trench too.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Installed Sonance speakers in the entertainment room we built a few years back (with an RBH sub)... great choice.

We have two sets of wall-mounted speakers just outside the patio doors on our main floor and the doors that open to our deck on the 2nd floor, but the sound doesn't carry around to the side of the house where we have our in-ground tramp and a firepit/seating area (that we are installing this summer). I'm digging up a trench to pull some landscape lighting wire over to this new area and your project makes me think about dropping some speaker wire in the trench too.
                              Sweet expansion plans!
                              Their indoor speakers look pretty good. I’m still leaning towards Sonos for the entertainment center, though.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Sweet expansion plans!
                                Their indoor speakers look pretty good. I’m still leaning towards Sonos for the entertainment center, though.
                                Strangely enough, I just stumbled across this. Didn’t realize these were a thing.

https://gizmodo.com/sonos-beam-is-a-...h-m-1827151416

For the record, we kept with Sonos. Sound bar, sub and Play 1s. Sound it great when utilized. Which is unfortunately rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X