• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
      I'm in.
      Congrats! What an accomplishment!

I'm just a little bit jealous. Hearing about some of the big city marathons from folks here, I've decided that I want to run one some day. And I am kind of holding out hope that I can get into Boston at some point.

I can't wait to hear your report on the race.

Comment

I'm in.
        Nice!

Comment

I'm in.
          So jealous. My wife is going to qualify once again, but I don't think she plans on running it. I am going to do it if I can run like the wind in 2 weeks.

Comment

• (Insert big ugly swear word) That sucked. 4:07 and change. I ran a 1:55 half, and ket that pace until 18. Then it got ugly. The race started with rain, turned to a downpour, and the it started to hail between 14 and 17. It quit at 18, but my wet heavy feet had already done their damage. My legs were completely shot by 23, and it was 12 minute miles from there. My wife did great, and finished at 429. I walked back to her and ran the last half mile with her. Really proud of that girl to run that kind of time in those conditions.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I'm in.
              So cool!
              Can't wait for the race report!
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                (Insert big ugly swear word) That sucked. 4:07 and change. I ran a 1:55 half, and ket that pace until 18. Then it got ugly. The race started with rain, turned to a downpour, and the it started to hail between 14 and 17. It quit at 18, but my wet heavy feet had already done their damage. My legs were completely shot by 23, and it was 12 minute miles from there. My wife did great, and finished at 429. I walked back to her and ran the last half mile with her. Really proud of that girl to run that kind of time in those conditions.
                Way to gut it out. Running in a rain storm can take a lot out of you. Congrats to you and the Mrs. for pushing through it.

Comment

• My last long run today. Was an 18 mile steady @10% slower than MP. Felt fantastic. If I feel on marathon day as well as I've felt the past 2 weeks I should improve my time significantly. I do have one more tough workout on the schedule. It's tough mainly because it's a weeknight and I'm supposed to get in 15 miles. 15 miles in the dark is kind of equal to 15 on a treadmill.

Comment

(Insert big ugly swear word) That sucked. 4:07 and change. I ran a 1:55 half, and ket that pace until 18. Then it got ugly. The race started with rain, turned to a downpour, and the it started to hail between 14 and 17. It quit at 18, but my wet heavy feet had already done their damage. My legs were completely shot by 23, and it was 12 minute miles from there. My wife did great, and finished at 429. I walked back to her and ran the last half mile with her. Really proud of that girl to run that kind of time in those conditions.
                    I know you wanted to go under 4 but that's a good time considering the conditions. Nice work. Beat my time under perfect conditions.

Comment

Your body was trying to shut down to keep you from having to sit next to Art at the football game.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

• One week from today I am going to die.

Taking a week off did nothing to fix my leg. My achilles starts killing me after 20 minutes and it starts to burn. After 40-50 minutes my calf started to cramp a bit on a downhill because of the achillies. I was done after 7 miles, and I was able to run at goal pace easily, but I just don't think my legs will make it for another 2 and a 1/2 hours or more.

Oh well, gonna give it my best shot, this is my first after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          One week from today I am going to die.

Taking a week off did nothing to fix my leg. My achilles starts killing me after 20 minutes and it starts to burn. After 40-50 minutes my calf started to cramp a bit on a downhill because of the achillies. I was done after 7 miles, and I was able to run at goal pace easily, but I just don't think my legs will make it for another 2 and a 1/2 hours or more.

Oh well, gonna give it my best shot, this is my first after all.
                          If it makes you feel any better, what you have described has happened to me twice. My first marathon, I had such bad IT problems that I had to stop and walk after just four miles, ten days before the race, and only ran once from that day to race day. Time: 4:00:45 (ouch, that 45 seconds hurt).

The next time was St. George, two years later when I developed a stress fracture and, one week before race day, tried to run and had to stop before I finished the first mile. By race day, I hadn't run for three weeks, but I was still able to finish in 4:13 (or maybe 4:17) in the rain, and that included an unfortunate 10 minute bathroom stop at mile 9.

Don't fret too much. Injuries are the biggest obstacle for marathon runners, and it seems like first time runners are more prone to injury - probably because veteran runners have already made those mistakes and get better at listening to their bodies. What is really amazing, though, is how you can still gut out a race despite being nearly completely incapacitated just one week earlier. I think you'll do fine, but in the off chance that you have to ride the meat wagon back to town, I'll be happy to run with you next year and give you someone to beat.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• New marathon world record,

Just giving everyone something to shoot for in their next race.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                              New marathon world record,

Boo! Kenyan taking Ethiopian records.

I'd like to have that time doubled plus 23 minutes.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                                New marathon world record,

Berlin. Fast course.

Anybody know off the top of their head if that is faster than the time at Boston this last spring?
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X