No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into full taper for next Saturday at Logan. My wife has done a great job, and she's staying healthy so I'm excited for her.

I haven't trained well for this race at all. I've run only 2 or 3 times a week, and I even had to skip a couple of my long runs (14 and 16, I believe). Surprisingly, my 18 and 20 milers went really well, and I even ran the last two miles of my 20 at an 8:53 pace (I'm shooting for just under 4 hours, so that is a marathon pace for me). My long run last week was 12, and I ran it at 8:53 including water and walk breaks. My steady pace for that run was 8:34. I'll be interested to see if I can really run a sub-4 with no more training than I've done or if I'll hit a brutal wall at 22 and stager in at 4:30.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      Into full taper for next Saturday at Logan. My wife has done a great job, and she's staying healthy so I'm excited for her.

I haven't trained well for this race at all. I've run only 2 or 3 times a week, and I even had to skip a couple of my long runs (14 and 16, I believe). Surprisingly, my 18 and 20 milers went really well, and I even ran the last two miles of my 20 at an 8:53 pace (I'm shooting for just under 4 hours, so that is a marathon pace for me). My long run last week was 12, and I ran it at 8:53 including water and walk breaks. My steady pace for that run was 8:34. I'll be interested to see if I can really run a sub-4 with no more training than I've done or if I'll hit a brutal wall at 22 and stager in at 4:30.
      Good luck cowboy. I waited too long and all of the free hotel rooms were filled up, so I did Pocatello this year. Are you wearing that ugly Wyoming hat again?

Comment

Into full taper for next Saturday at Logan. My wife has done a great job, and she's staying healthy so I'm excited for her.

Yes - good luck!

For the record - I ran my best race after only training 3X a week. You may surprise yourself with how well you do.

Comment

I hope the race goes well and you two enjoy it.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Training for a fall marathon in Redding sucks. I'm burning out fast. We've had a relatively mild summer (highs near but under 100 most of summer) but Sept has been hot. I can't run in the mornings because I work early and have given morning times to the wife. So, I come home from work tired and have these long workouts to do when it's still near 100 degrees outside. This week's workouts are especially tough. Can't wait until this thing is over. If I don't improve it won't be for lack of training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
              Good luck cowboy. I waited too long and all of the free hotel rooms were filled up, so I did Pocatello this year. Are you wearing that ugly Wyoming hat again?
              Of course. It's my lucky hat.
              Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              Yes - good luck!

For the record - I ran my best race after only training 3X a week. You may surprise yourself with how well you do.
              Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              I hope the race goes well and you two enjoy it.
              Thanks guys.
              Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
              Training for a fall marathon in Redding sucks. I'm burning out fast. We've had a relatively mild summer (highs near but under 100 most of summer) but Sept has been hot. I can't run in the mornings because I work early and have given morning times to the wife. So, I come home from work tired and have these long workouts to do when it's still near 100 degrees outside. This week's workouts are especially tough. Can't wait until this thing is over. If I don't improve it won't be for lack of training.
              Good luck. We've had similar weather, and I've ended up skipping a few runs as a result. By the time I get my irrigating done in the mornings it is often too hot to run. I try not to run over 4 or 5 miles if the temp is above 90 degrees. I'd never make it in the south.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• 3 miles this morning. I have begun my path, yes it will be an hour or more slower than everyone here but oh well.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  3 miles this morning. I have begun my path, yes it will be an hour or more slower than everyone here but oh well.
                  The finisher's medals all look the same. Enjoy the journey.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    The finisher's medals all look the same. Enjoy the journey.
                    What he said, HFNW. Having run a 5 hour marathon myself, I don't think it's any easier if you are slower, In fact, I think it's much harder. Anybody who finishes one deserves all the love they can get. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask us questions - there's a wealth of experience here and I would have never finished my first without CUF.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Progression run of 22 miles this morning. I think it went very well. Just need to stay healthy a few more weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                        Progression run of 22 miles this morning. I think it went very well. Just need to stay healthy a few more weeks.
                        Good for you. Yesterday I have to quit mine after 15. Have some serious tendonitis in my big toe. Came out of nowhere. Started this week and on my long run my achilles on the other side started to get really sore because I how I was compensating. Called the wife and had her pick me up. Onkly 3 weeks to go, I hope my body can hold up. Next week is going to ball be on the bike to try adn get this thing healed.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Good for you. Yesterday I have to quit mine after 15. Have some serious tendonitis in my big toe. Came out of nowhere. Started this week and on my long run my achilles on the other side started to get really sore because I how I was compensating. Called the wife and had her pick me up. Onkly 3 weeks to go, I hope my body can hold up. Next week is going to ball be on the bike to try adn get this thing healed.

That sucks. Hope you are able to run at full strength again soon.

Comment

• Boston registration opened this morning. I don't get to register until Wednesday morning. I might be a basket case by then. I'm out of town this week -- probably the best thing for the good of my family.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                              Boston registration opened this morning. I don't get to register until Wednesday morning. I might be a basket case by then. I'm out of town this week -- probably the best thing for the good of my family.
                              Let us know if you got in today. I just read yesterday about how they're doing registration this year. That's really going to make for a fast field.

Comment

• I did my first speed work of the season yesterday. I have been gradually ramping up the mileage over the past 2 months or so, up to 3 runs per week of 5-6 miles each, with my longest run being 8 miles last weekend.

I've done some light tempo work, but nothing that really took me out of my comfort zone. Yesterday I did 4x400m and 2x200m intervals, all at an uncomfortable pace. My lungs actually felt really well, but at this point in my season it was my legs that couldn't keep up. It felt really clunky and uncoordinated to try to turn my legs over that fast.

My plan this season is to work on mainly shorter distance speed for the next 2 months as I get ready for the local Turkey Trot and then really launch into my marathon program for the next 3-4 months. I hope to do a spring marathon next year, preferably in March, so that i can enjoy a longer biking season to get ready for either Seattle to Portland or the Death Ride in July.

Comment

Working...
                                X