Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    Way to gut it out. I hope you recover soon.
    Thanks. I don't think I did much mor damage to my injuries, which is good. I'm taking off running for a month and then easing back in - I think that ought to be enough time to heal up completely.

Btw, this was the hardest course I've run. Lots more hills and more severe downhills than top of Utah (I knew this, having literally driven the course hundreds of times growing up). But beautiful and surprisingly well organized. I also enjoyed the schadenfreude of hearing thumping pounding bass of music at four am next to the houses of people I don't like.

One more observation that I made when I ran top of Utah: I am shocked at how many guys in Utah marathons run in garments. Saw no fewer than 10 yesterday with the tell-tale peek of white coming out of ridiculously long basketball shorts. Blows my mind.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      Thanks. I don't think I did much mor damage to my injuries, which is good. I'm taking off running for a month and then easing back in - I think that ought to be enough time to heal up completely.

Btw, this was the hardest course I've run. Lots more hills and more severe downhills than top of Utah (I knew this, having literally driven the course hundreds of times growing up). But beautiful and surprisingly well organized. I also enjoyed the schadenfreude of hearing thumping pounding bass of music at four am next to the houses of people I don't like.

One more observation that I made when I ran top of Utah: I am shocked at how many guys in Utah marathons run in garments. Saw no fewer than 10 yesterday with the tell-tale peek of white coming out of ridiculously long basketball shorts. Blows my mind.
      Nice work finishing Niku. I'm very impressed. Wish our schedules could have coincided, we rolled into Provo tonight.

Comment

• Congrats on the finish, Niku. Just getting to the end is an accomplishment. There will be other races to keep cutting your PR - sometimes it's good just to have a good time and finish.

Comment

• Way to tough it out. Not sure if I would have tried being hurt.

As you finish this one, today marks my first day of official training. 16 weeks to go.

Comment

• That was a gutty and brave performance, nikuman, and I'm referring to your courage in wearing a pink fuel belt. Toughing out the run was also impressive. Nice work.

Comment

• I have a friend that is also running in the Pocatello Marathon this year and we have the same finish time goal and pacing plan. We decided to try running the race together, so I sent him this message:

I think running the race together is a great idea, but I have to tell you a story I heard when I was working at a nuclear power plant. Story goes that when they were building the plant, these three guys got an idea to steal a bunch of copper wire. So, they took off their shirts, wrapped the wire around their torso and walked off the site at quitting time. As they were making the long walk to their cars in 100-degree heat, one guy passes out and falls face first on the ground. The other two, one his brother and the other his best friend, don't even miss a step. They just keep walking, get in their cars and drive home without even looking back, leaving their friend/brother's heat stricken body lying in the dirt to be fired, arrested and who knows what else.

That is the kind of loyalty I'll be expecting from you if things start going badly for me in Pocatello.

Comment

• Time for a ToU roll call. Anyone else running it? I'll be running again this year, this time with my wife. At this time last year, the farthest she had ever run at one time was 2 miles. Her brother called last Christmas and asked if the family would be interested in running the Indianapolis Mini (half) Marathon with his family in May, and I told her I'd agree to the trip if she'd run the race. After she finished that, it wasn't too hard to talk her into training for the ToU. She finished her 18-miler in 3:10, and has a 20 coming up Saturday. I'm thinking she should be on pace to finish in 4:15-4:30. Yes, I'm proud of her.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                  Time for a ToU roll call. Anyone else running it? I'll be running again this year, this time with my wife. At this time last year, the farthest she had ever run at one time was 2 miles. Her brother called last Christmas and asked if the family would be interested in running the Indianapolis Mini (half) Marathon with his family in May, and I told her I'd agree to the trip if she'd run the race. After she finished that, it wasn't too hard to talk her into training for the ToU. She finished her 18-miler in 3:10, and has a 20 coming up Saturday. I'm thinking she should be on pace to finish in 4:15-4:30. Yes, I'm proud of her.
                  Botox Pam FTW! That's awesome cowboy. I'd dearly love to run that one with you - I had a great time last year - but my schedule is too packed with other races.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• No tou, but I may run st g. I just found out the hospital may have some extra entries. If not, I'm thinking of bandit running it, just to see if I could on the mileage I've been running.

Good luck on tou! And congrats to your wife!
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Ran my workout today that I have been dreading since I picked this training schedule. I was afraid that I didn't have it in me, especially since I have been feeling slow with my rest week last week. So the workout was after a warm up, 2 miles at Goal Pace, 4 x 2 miles at Tempo (30 sec under GP) (rest in between each), 3 miles at GP.

I did it, I freaking did it. Next monday I have to do it again and I will try and get my rest time down a bit, but I am feeling that maybe, just maybe I have this thing in me after all.

40 days to go till St George.

Comment

• Not doing TOU this year. I have Pocatello coming up on Sept. 3. I upped my long runs to 25 miles this time hoping it will save me from collapsing after mile 20 when race day comes. I only put in 3 long runs this time, but I was able to improve my pace each time. My last was a 7:25 pace. Now it's taper time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Ran my workout today that I have been dreading since I picked this training schedule. I was afraid that I didn't have it in me, especially since I have been feeling slow with my rest week last week. So the workout was after a warm up, 2 miles at Goal Pace, 4 x 2 miles at Tempo (30 sec under GP) (rest in between each), 3 miles at GP.

I did it, I freaking did it. Next monday I have to do it again and I will try and get my rest time down a bit, but I am feeling that maybe, just maybe I have this thing in me after all.

40 days to go till St George.
                          That's awesome. You are going to run really well at St. George. I've been feeling great and two Saturdays ago had my best long run yet hitting all my goals. I had a lot of difficulty recovering from it though. My first run last week was an easy 6 and it felt like a half. The next, on Wed. was a tempo run and I was feeling better but at the very end, with about a half mile to go I felt some sudden groin tightness and stopped running immediately. My training planned called for a half-marathon race on Sat. and I scratched that, certain it'd cause me injury. So instead I went hiking hoping that I could get some good quad work on the way down. I think I did. I resume running today and am pain free but that sudden twinge sure is scary. It'd be real tough to recover from a groin pull in time for St. George. I'm also a little scared to run fast right now as there was no warning.

Comment

• I really want to run St. George next year.

I'm contemplating attempting to get in on the deal where you run two other races in the area and get an auto spot for the marathon. It really seems like the way to go if you don't want to worry about the lottery - particularly as popularity continues to increase.

That said - there is certainly another part of me that thinks Ogden has been good to me and I should just continue there, where I can compare my time to past races and see how I'm doing.

Hearing stories of folks prepping for races gets me a little antsy to do something myself. I ran for the first time in about three weeks today - due to resting post triathlon, a week of backpacking, and a week of catching up on no sleep while backpacking. Felt good to run, but nothing spectacular as far as times.

Comment

• Marathon on Saturday, so I went off of diet soda today. Only drinking water. I've already peed 4 times today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
                                Marathon on Saturday, so I went off of diet soda today. Only drinking water. I've already peed 4 times today.
                                Is that Pocatello? Good luck. I hear that foley catheters work well for that problem that you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X