Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Ha, I predict you'll be registered for your first within the next 12 months.
    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I'll take the under.
    Pshaw. I place greater stock in the predictions of Harold Camping. While I was pounding out a few miles this morning I decided that I will complete the Disney Half in September, but if anyone sees me training for any longer distance thereafter, I will have placed a contract on my own head. Shoot me, please, and spare me the pain and embarrassment. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Pshaw. I place greater stock in the predictions of Harold Camping. While I was pounding out a few miles this morning I decided that I will complete the Disney Half in September, but if anyone sees me training for any longer distance thereafter, I will have placed a contract on my own head. Shoot me, please, and spare me the pain and embarrassment. Thank you.
      I am remembering a man who swore the same thing two years ago.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• I just wanted to throw out something else I learned last Saturday that applies to me - your mileage may vary.

On Sea Chicken's running blog he mentions what a gut bomb the gels can be. I noticed this last year and again during some training runs. Initially I had planned to take one every 6 miles or so. I switched this up to take half of one every 2.5-3 miles. It made a HUGE difference to me to not stick a whole gel in my stomach at a time.

I also noticed that I would get nauseous taking nothing but gels and water/powerade on long runs. So I started taking a small cliff bar or granola bar and eating it at about the 13-14 mile mark. It was strange what a difference it made putting something "solid" in my stomach on a long run. I wouldn't eat it quick - small bites and that I nibbled at while I ran. In fact - during training runs I didn't even slow my pace to eat the thing, and it usually took me around a quarter mile to finish it.

I think doing both of these kept me from feeling sick on Saturday. I don't know if it will work for anyone else - but I really can't tell you how much better I felt this year compared to last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I just wanted to throw out something else I learned last Saturday that applies to me - your mileage may vary.

On Sea Chicken's running blog he mentions what a gut bomb the gels can be. I noticed this last year and again during some training runs. Initially I had planned to take one every 6 miles or so. I switched this up to take half of one every 2.5-3 miles. It made a HUGE difference to me to not stick a whole gel in my stomach at a time.

I also noticed that I would get nauseous taking nothing but gels and water/powerade on long runs. So I started taking a small cliff bar or granola bar and eating it at about the 13-14 mile mark. It was strange what a difference it made putting something "solid" in my stomach on a long run. I wouldn't eat it quick - small bites and that I nibbled at while I ran. In fact - during training runs I didn't even slow my pace to eat the thing, and it usually took me around a quarter mile to finish it.

I think doing both of these kept me from feeling sick on Saturday. I don't know if it will work for anyone else - but I really can't tell you how much better I felt this year compared to last year.
          I think you're right. I kind of sipped on the first gel and I was fine. After that, I just sucked them down and that's when my gut started grinding. I've seriously thought about bringing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with me when I run a marathon, but haven't figured out a good way to carry it.

Comment

• Shit.

In my taper. My son and I were jogging (me) and riding a bike (him) home from my daughters swim meet. A distance of about a mile tops. Wearing some of my favorite shoes.

About a quarter mile from the swim meet, I felt something in my right calf pop unexpectedly and had a horrible surge of pain. Called my wife to come pick us both up.

I've been icing and using compression all day. I feel better but it's still very, very sore and there's no way I could run on it at all. Positive I have a calf strain.

I am hoping it heals up in time for the race, but I severely doubt it. I am exceptionally unhappy right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              Shit.

In my taper. My son and I were jogging (me) and riding a bike (him) home from my daughters swim meet. A distance of about a mile tops. Wearing some of my favorite shoes.

About a quarter mile from the swim meet, I felt something in my right calf pop unexpectedly and had a horrible surge of pain. Called my wife to come pick us both up.

I've been icing and using compression all day. I feel better but it's still very, very sore and there's no way I could run on it at all. Positive I have a calf strain.

I am hoping it heals up in time for the race, but I severely doubt it. I am exceptionally unhappy right now.
              Something similar happened to me on what would have been my first marathon except it was in my foot. Felt like I stepped on a nail the pain was so sudden and sharp. I feel for you Nik, but hey a lot of healing can happen in 2 weeks. Maybe it'll be one of those weird things that goes away quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                Something similar happened to me on what would have been my first marathon except it was in my foot. Felt like I stepped on a nail the pain was so sudden and sharp. I feel for you Nik, but hey a lot of healing can happen in 2 weeks. Maybe it'll be one of those weird things that goes away quickly.
                I hope so. I'm going no matter what - my brother is running this race for his first, and even if I can't run I am still going to cheer him on.

Things do feel better this evening. We'll see what the next few days bring.

Comment

• sending good mojo your direction, Nik. that must feel horrible...here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhioBlue View Post
                    sending good mojo your direction, Nik. that must feel horrible...here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.
                    Well, I recovered enough to finish but not to run like I wanted. First 9 miles were awesome, next 17 not so much. The downhill stretches killed both my torn calf and my Achilles. Obviously I am a bit disappointed but I am still proud of finishing. I also gained a new appreciation for five hour marathoners (I finished in 4:57). And I'm most proud of "coaching" my own brother - in his first marathon - to a 3:32 finish.

Comment

• Dang it. I haven't been following this thread. We did an aid station today and a runner went by me and I thought, "Man, that looks just like nikuman". But once you were past me I didn't feel like I should shout out your name and interrupt your race and I wasn't 100% sure.. But now I wish I had shouted anyway.

Do you remember the aid station with the Jimmer cut-out? That was us.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Dang it. I haven't been following this thread. We did an aid station today and a runner went by me and I thought, "Man, that looks just like nikuman". But once you were past me I didn't feel like I should shout out your name and interrupt your race and I wasn't 100% sure.. But now I wish I had shouted anyway.

Do you remember the aid station with the Jimmer cut-out? That was us.
                        I do indeed. I was the guy limping on the left side in the neon orange top, blue shorts, colorful shoes and pink fuel belt. You totally should have yelled - I would have stopped to chat at that point, as I was taking my time and enjoying the race at that point (time goals having gone long before that).

Comment

I do indeed. I was the guy limping on the left side in the neon orange top, blue shorts, colorful shoes and pink fuel belt. You totally should have yelled - I would have stopped to chat at that point, as I was taking my time and enjoying the race at that point (time goals having gone long before that).
                          Yep. That was you. I definitely noted the multi-color shoes and the limp.

Shoot. Send me a PM if you run it next year.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Yep. That was you. I definitely noted the multi-color shoes and the limp.

Shoot. Send me a PM if you run it next year.
                            Dang it. That's too bad we didn't figure this out sooner (although last night I thought I was going to be finishing with my brother - he ran my exact race plan).

Comment

• Way to finish, nikuman. After my disaster at SLC, I, too, have a great appreciation for any finisher of a marathon. Especially when someone is dealing with injuries. You'll be better off for running the thing when all is said and done.

Comment

Well, I recovered enough to finish but not to run like I wanted. First 9 miles were awesome, next 17 not so much. The downhill stretches killed both my torn calf and my Achilles. Obviously I am a bit disappointed but I am still proud of finishing. I also gained a new appreciation for five hour marathoners (I finished in 4:57). And I'm most proud of "coaching" my own brother - in his first marathon - to a 3:32 finish.
                                Way to gut it out. I hope you recover soon.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X