Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice job Eddie and Sea Chicken.

My wife ran it in 3:28. Tenth in age group.

Comment

• Wow, you guys are inspiring. Great work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chicken View Post
        Hell of a race Eddie, Congrats! I looked around for you at the start, but most of my time was spent in the port-a-john line.
        My race was good. I didn't have the strong finish you did, but at 3:18:02 I got a 19-minute PR and second-tier BQ.
        Here's my blog with all the ugly details http://court.fastrunningblog.com/
        Congrats yourself! BQ and all - that's awesome.

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        Nice job Eddie and Sea Chicken.

My wife ran it in 3:28. Tenth in age group.
        That's great! A top ten finish is definitely something to be proud of.

I almost forgot - as we were sitting around waiting for the race to begin, I notice a guy off in the distance all decked out in BYU gear. He's got the sweatshirt, beanie, pants, etc. He walks up to one of the fire barrels nearby and as he introduces himself. I hear - "Hi, I'm Greg". Yea - that's a voice I've heard before.

Looking at the results this morning - Wrubell finished with a 3:56. I looked around KSL and on his Twitter account - but no mention of it. He does mention the Cowboy Ball. I'm impressed if he showed up to that after the race.

Anyway - Congrats, Greg!

Comment

• Has Ogden Marathon's text notification system ever worked for anyone here? My wife ran it in 2010 and I made all the registration steps online to receive a text when she reached the 5 KMs remaining spot but didn't receive it (neither did friends of mine who had spouses in the race). This year a buddy of mine registered my cell # and his wife's at Union Station when he picked up his race packet but neither of us received the text (neither did other friends of mine). Eddie and Sea Chicken, did it work for you?

Comment

• Eddie and Sea Chicken. I am in awe. Oh, and CardiacCoug, you'd better hit the road; your wife is leaving you in the dust

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
              Has Ogden Marathon's text notification system ever worked for anyone here? My wife ran it in 2010 and I made all the registration steps online to receive a text when she reached the 5 KMs remaining spot but didn't receive it (neither did friends of mine who had spouses in the race). This year a buddy of mine registered my cell # and his wife's at Union Station when he picked up his race packet but neither of us received the text (neither did other friends of mine). Eddie and Sea Chicken, did it work for you?
              I tried it last year - and it didn't work.

My friend did it this year and it did not work for him.

I figured it can't hurt to try again, doesn't cost anything. A couple of weeks ago they had a place online that you could sign up for it - so I did. Then at the packet pickup I registered my wife's cell phone again. My wife got 6 (yes - SIX) texts from them as I passed the 5K start.

Obviously - I didn't trust it was going to work. I carried my cell phone and texted my wife myself as I passed the mile 24 marker.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                Has Ogden Marathon's text notification system ever worked for anyone here? My wife ran it in 2010 and I made all the registration steps online to receive a text when she reached the 5 KMs remaining spot but didn't receive it (neither did friends of mine who had spouses in the race). This year a buddy of mine registered my cell # and his wife's at Union Station when he picked up his race packet but neither of us received the text (neither did other friends of mine). Eddie and Sea Chicken, did it work for you?
                nope

Between the text message not coming and the race starting 10+ minutes late, my wife was a nervous wreck before she saw me coming running down the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Eddie and Sea Chicken. I am in awe. Oh, and CardiacCoug, you'd better hit the road; your wife is leaving you in the dust
                  Yeah, due to my sexist, patriarchal Mormon heritage up until a few years ago I still thought I could keep up with her if I really tried.

Then she turned in a 3:14 marathon time and I did the math and realized her average mile for that race was slightly faster than I can run just one mile by itself.

And she is even a better half-marathoner -- has run well under 1:30 in official races multiple times.

Comment

• After receiving some excellent running-with-injury advice from bluegoose, I headed down to the track for my last hard speed workout before I really start the taper. Ran a full set of 10 Yasso 800s, with the slowest one @ 3:26 (the last one was at 3:17). In 80+ heat w/ humidity, no less. I'm not sure I have a 3:26 marathon in me, but mentally it makes me feel good - I have lost very little during my time off from running and I'm ready for this race. I can only hope I have as good of a race as Eddie and Sea Chicken did.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                      After receiving some excellent running-with-injury advice from bluegoose, I headed down to the track for my last hard speed workout before I really start the taper. Ran a full set of 10 Yasso 800s, with the slowest one @ 3:26 (the last one was at 3:17). In 80+ heat w/ humidity, no less. I'm not sure I have a 3:26 marathon in me, but mentally it makes me feel good - I have lost very little during my time off from running and I'm ready for this race. I can only hope I have as good of a race as Eddie and Sea Chicken did.
                      You're going to kill this thing. You've been consistently running more miles and faster than I have. Not to jinx anything, but I'll be surprised if you don't have a big break through and kill your old PR.

And while it's not like you need any extra advice - I was VERY glad that I stuck with my plan/pace early in the race when I was feeling good and felt like I could've gone faster. I maybe had a little left over in the tank and maybe could've gotten a slightly better time had I picked up the pace earlier - but there is NOTHING like the feeling of flying past people over those last 6-7 miles and knowing that I'm feeling good and there will be no wall at the end. It was amazing!

I had been thinking that as I get older and make slight improvements it would be cool to one day have my age and speed intersect so that I qualify for Boston. Now I have so much (probably too much) confidence that I believe I don't have to wait - I can keep getting faster now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        You're going to kill this thing. You've been consistently running more miles and faster than I have. Not to jinx anything, but I'll be surprised if you don't have a big break through and kill your old PR.

And while it's not like you need any extra advice - I was VERY glad that I stuck with my plan/pace early in the race when I was feeling good and felt like I could've gone faster. I maybe had a little left over in the tank and maybe could've gotten a slightly better time had I picked up the pace earlier - but there is NOTHING like the feeling of flying past people over those last 6-7 miles and knowing that I'm feeling good and there will be no wall at the end. It was amazing!

I had been thinking that as I get older and make slight improvements it would be cool to one day have my age and speed intersect so that I qualify for Boston. Now I have so much (probably too much) confidence that I believe I don't have to wait - I can keep getting faster now.
                        I sure hope you are right. Even with the layoff (no more than a couple of weeks, in truth) I have put in more miles and more speedwork than any other cycle.

As for pace, I'm running this one with my brother, who is a first timer. So I'm going a touch slower than I otherwise would for the first 20. We'll see what that does for me at the end - we already have an agreement to drop the other at 20 if one of us is feeling it.

Comment

• niku, I've lost track of everyone's events. When is your marathon? I'm in awe of all you marathoners, although I have zero interest in reaching your lofty heights.

I'm content with having run an easy 10K this morning, feeling great, and confident I'll be able to do the Disney Half without assistance. Oh, and this morning I passed the German Shepherd that attacked me last fall. We nodded at each other, showing the respect one gives to a former adversary.

Comment

niku, I've lost track of everyone's events. When is your marathon? I'm in awe of all you marathoners, although I have zero interest in reaching your lofty heights.

I'm content with having run an easy 10K this morning, feeling great, and confident I'll be able to do the Disney Half without assistance. Oh, and this morning I passed the German Shepherd that attacked me last fall. We nodded at each other, showing the respect one gives to a former adversary.
                            June 11. It is nearly upon me - taper time for me now. This one is sort of special because it starts in my hometown and ends in the first place I lived on my own - a symbolic farewell to the hillbilly rednecks that occupy that miserable yet beautiful place.

Comment

I'm in awe of all you marathoners, although I have zero interest in reaching your lofty heights.
                              Ha, I predict you'll be registered for your first within the next 12 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                                Ha, I predict you'll be registered for your first within the next 12 months.
                                I'll take the under.

Comment

Working...
                                X